General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

I agree. That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed the contribution of the SNP is Westminster. It has been marvellous trolling, voiced with that understated deeply ironic formality and dignity with which the Scots are gifted by dint of accent and intonation that even a Glasgow tramp can muster when needed.

C R

Über Member
You'd have to ask her constituents. But what can any individual MP from a party that's not - and in the case of the SNP, can never be - in government in Westminster actually do? I think they have been (when allowed the opportunity) quite good at doing the oppositioning that Sir Starmer is too timid & reticent to do, but as far as why they're elected & what they have been sent to Westminster to do, there is literally no way within the confines of the UK's broken system for them to further that aim, never mind achieve it.

So yes - arguably pointless, & I think there's certainly a discussion to be had that they should follow Sinn Fein's example and not take up their seats.

But if the SNP didn't take their seats there would be no opposition, other than in name.

multitool

Really? Must be me being thick again. I thought you said

I just quoted you what I said. Both quotes stand.

If, as is commonplace here, people claim they don't know what Starmer stands for, and then when he tells you, and you ignore it and opt for a tired snark it's every bit as tedious as the thing you are snarking against.

Always happy to explain simple concepts to you. You only need to ask if things seem a bit confusing.

bobzmyunkle

I just quoted you what I said. Both quotes stand.

If, as is commonplace here, people claim they don't know what Starmer stands for, and then when he tells you, and you ignore it and opt for a tired snark it's every bit as tedious as the thing you are snarking against.

Always happy to explain simple concepts to you. You only need to ask if things seem a bit confusing.

Oh f*ck off, you pompous arse

multitool

Temper temper :smooch:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
But if the SNP didn't take their seats there would be no opposition, other than in name.

I'm not arguing for that but I think it's a valid discussion. Realistically they are there to further the cause of Scottish independence, and until recently, to pressure the sitting government into granting an S30 order for a referendum. Now that has been ruled out - Scotland cannot call one, and both Tory & Labour are adamant they will not grant one, Starmer going as far as to suggest he might legislate against it ever happening again - then there's arguably little justification for them being there.

monkers

Legendary Member
Apparently Sunak's father was also a toolmaker ...

hc=1ny_wfG-6lgQ7kNvgE4J7IF&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr1-2.jpg

Top Bottom