General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Mhairi Black would be a lot of fun but she packed it in last year.

Fun, agreed.

But did she actually achieve anything for anyone? Whilst it is highly amusing to watch the SNP rattle the cage in Westminster, they do seem, ultimately, a bit pointless. I think the freedom they have to do what they do is a symptom of this.

It's been a while since we have seen a politician that has some sort of legacy of achieving tangible things for people. Maybe we've forgotten that they ever existed.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yebutt she's too old for the nightlife now.

The idea of Mhairi getting twatted in Westminster on Electric Soup is wonderful.

At some point she'd scale a statue to put a traffic cone on its head. And fill a fountain with washing up liquid. Robbing goalposts would complete her triathlon of awesome.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Fun, agreed.

But did she actually achieve anything for anyone? Whilst it is highly amusing to watch the SNP rattle the cage in Westminster, they do seem, ultimately, a bit pointless. I think the freedom they have to do what they do is a symptom of this.

It's been a while since we have seen a politician that has some sort of legacy of achieving tangible things for people. Maybe we've forgotten that they ever existed.

Did they ever exist? Can’t think of any in my life time.

bobzmyunkle

The speech is not intended for people who arent going to listen to it, BL.
Well of course it is. It gets filtered out to the general populace via the MSM ( for better or worse), so contains, amongst other stuff, sound bites akin to hovis adverts in the hope that some of that will be picked up and create some appeal somewhere.
Whinging because some find the Hovis bits exactly like Hovis adverts i.e. sickly with a good dollop of bullsh*t, is, as was pointed out, just a bit on the tetchy side

bobzmyunkle

The 'Conservative' bit seems quite small.

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_161553.jpg
    IMG_20240527_161553.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 22

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The 'Conservative' bit seems quite small.

The layout on that is awful.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don't think it's aimed at anyone with aesthetic discernment.

This is true. Some are more glaringly awful than others, and this one is particularly shoddy considering the budget the fella probably had.

I really like the naff leaflets local candidates come up with though. From the misspellings, terrible layouts, random photographs of them looking serious next to overflowing bins etc... I love it all. I may or may not agree with their positions but I respect the effort.

multitool

Whinging because some find the Hovis bits exactly like Hovis adverts i.e. sickly with a good dollop of bullsh*t, is, as was pointed out, just a bit on the tetchy side

Well it would be if that is how I'd reacted, but I didn't, did I. I said the "My father was a toolmaker" line is a bit tedious:

Screenshot_20240527_193231_Samsung Internet.jpg

Had you been a tool in Starmer Snrs factory, I've a suspicion you'd have ended up in the bucket marked "Not the sharpest". :whistle:

monkers

Legendary Member
Well it would be if that is how I'd reacted, but I didn't, did I. I said the "My father was a toolmaker" line is a bit tedious:

View attachment 5999

Had you been a tool in Starmer Snrs factory, I've a suspicion you'd have ended up in the bucket marked "Not the sharpest". :whistle:

It would have been funnier if Starmer Senior had made stopcocks and Starmer Junior claimed that is why he is leading Labour.

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Fun, agreed.

You'd have to ask her constituents. But what can any individual MP from a party that's not - and in the case of the SNP, can never be - in government in Westminster actually do? I think they have been (when allowed the opportunity) quite good at doing the oppositioning that Sir Starmer is too timid & reticent to do, but as far as why they're elected & what they have been sent to Westminster to do, there is literally no way within the confines of the UK's broken system for them to further that aim, never mind achieve it.

So yes - arguably pointless, & I think there's certainly a discussion to be had that they should follow Sinn Fein's example and not take up their seats.

Top Bottom