General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
You start to answer your own question in your last paragraph. There would also likely be an increase in the number of parties, particularly if there was no minimum vote requirement.
There likely would be of some sort, even if it were just via rounding. Sweden is the largest country I could find with PR. Their parliament has 349 seats shared between 9 parties. 3 parties take the lead and they map pretty much to our big three. In terms of the vote, there were 21 parties who polled more than 1000 votes and 68 other parties. Anyone with less than 1% of the vote didn't get a seat.

There likely would be of some sort, even if it were just via rounding. Sweden is the largest country I could find with PR. Their parliament has 349 seats shared between 9 parties. 3 parties take the lead and they map pretty much to our big three. In terms of the vote, there were 21 parties who polled more than 1000 votes and 68 other parties. Anyone with less than 1% of the vote didn't get a seat.

How do you define PR?

Neither France or Germany have basic FPTP.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Side-splitting humour from Fozy there. He hunts alone by the way.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the Conservatives have dropped the culture war stuff? I've not particularly been listening out for them, but I've not heard them talk about 'the woke' for ages.

It's almost as if they've finally realised that they created the environment for Farage to thrive. And thriving he is. Leopards and faces stuff.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Side-splitting humour from Fozy there. He hunts alone by the way.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the Conservatives have dropped the culture war stuff? I've not particularly been listening out for them, but I've not heard them talk about 'the woke' for ages.

It's almost as if they've finally realised that they created the environment for Farage to thrive. And thriving he is. Leopards and faces stuff.

One thing that seems to have been dropped is the Unionist bit of the Conservative party title. In fact, I've not seen any news at all about Northern Ireland.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So he's essentially blaming COVID and Ukraine for the incompetence of the Conservatives and harking back to the "good old days".

He's not going to win anyone over with his own rant.

Reactions: C R

Bad Company

So he's essentially blaming COVID and Ukraine for the incompetence of the Conservatives and harking back to the "good old days".

He's not going to win anyone over with his own rant.

To be fair Covid and Ukraine have been very damaging. That’s not saying that the conservative government didn’t f up.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
To be fair Covid and Ukraine have been very damaging. That’s not saying that the conservative government didn’t f up.

Well yeah, you'd have to be nuts to dispute that, but laying the blame at the door for those and claiming that other countries are faring more poorly than us is stretching reality just a wee bit.

Bad Company

Well yeah, you'd have to be nuts to dispute that, but laying the blame at the door for those and claiming that other countries are faring more poorly than us is stretching reality just a wee bit.

I’m a long standing conservative voter & former party member but unsure who to vote for this time. I’m not inspired by anything being offered.

Top Bottom