General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m a long standing conservative voter & former party member but unsure who to vote for this time. I’m not inspired by anything being offered.

I don't think any offer is inspiring but, given where we are now, I'd have serious doubts as to reality/deliverability.

Starmer's not in the same aisle of the broad church that I am and I resigned as a party member when they said no wealth tax.

I'll still vote for them though. A party that seems to comprise competent people who can get stuff done.

Although the programme in 1945 was more inspiring, Clem Attlee was not exactly charisma rich. He delivered though.

Both predictable to the point of inevitability and literally the government's job to be prepared for. I have no sympathy.

Regardless, one effect of the pandemic was to keep B Johnson in power, or at the very least not subject to half as much scrutiny as he might have been, for longer. Everything centred on the pandemic and Starmer was unable to bring focus to all the other issues. This is an election we would have been having 2 years ago if covid hadn't brought about an unprecedented situation.

Beebo

Veteran
Regardless, one effect of the pandemic was to keep B Johnson in power, or at the very least not subject to half as much scrutiny as he might have been, for longer. Everything centred on the pandemic and Starmer was unable to bring focus to all the other issues. This is an election we would have been having 2 years ago if covid hadn't brought about an unprecedented situation.

How would it have been 2 years earlier?
The last election was 2019.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Both predictable to the point of inevitability and literally the government's job to be prepared for. I have no sympathy.

You can be prepared for them but they still cost billions, which is not kept in a rainy-day tin under the bed. Brexit was a totally different Tory caused, expensive cock-up.

Labour, who I am 100% certain would not have been more prepared, will be very grateful they dodged a bullet,

Sympathy doesn't come into it, you play the cards you are dealt.

Last edited:

multitool

Was there a country in the world that benefitted from predicting the covid pandemic?

The Asian countries that had dealt with Sars already had the equipment and procedures on hand in preparation for another breakout. They also had an educated and compliant population who were used to masks, distancing etc.

Ian H

Legendary Member
I can confirm that West Devon is a sea of blue cocks Geoffrey Cox posters. Elsewhere orange is the only colour - no, I did see one defiant Labour poster. Now where was that?

icowden

Legendary Member
How do you define PR?
Neither France or Germany have basic FPTP.
But they also don't have proportional representation. France has a two round system which isn't really PR. Germany's is a complex form of PR. I was looking at direct PR where the elected number of parliamentarians represents the percentage of the vote that they won.

Top Bottom