General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
But they also don't have proportional representation. France has a two round system which isn't really PR. Germany's is a complex form of PR. I was looking at direct PR where the elected number of parliamentarians represents the percentage of the vote that they won.

That SOUNDS fair, but, how do you "map" MPs to constituencies?, or, is the link between MP and Constituency severed in such a system?

icowden

Legendary Member
That SOUNDS fair, but, how do you "map" MPs to constituencies?, or, is the link between MP and Constituency severed in such a system?
Not necessarily. Other countries that use PR have much bigger constituencies but are represented by more than one MP for example. That is te tricky bit however.

Reactions: C R
But they also don't have proportional representation. France has a two round system which isn't really PR. Germany's is a complex form of PR. I was looking at direct PR where the elected number of parliamentarians represents the percentage of the vote that they won.

As your post says Germany does have PR, I think a mix of constituency members and a list to even up the numbers.

The French system of two rounds is similar to the Alternative Vote proposed for the UK during the coalition but rejected at referendum. It ensures that whoever is elected has the support of 50%+1 vote of those participating. Not PR in the strict sense but not FPTP either.

icowden

Legendary Member
As your post says Germany does have PR, I think a mix of constituency members and a list to even up the numbers.

The French system of two rounds is similar to the Alternative Vote proposed for the UK during the coalition but rejected at referendum. It ensures that whoever is elected has the support of 50%+1 vote of those participating. Not PR in the strict sense but not FPTP either.

And either would be better than FPTP

ebikeerwidnes

Things are getting desperate

People need to be listened to

The People are up in arms because all this election stuff has meant that Corrie and 'stenders have been cancelled on some nights

Something must be done!!!!

(for the Fact checkers - this mustbe true as it says so in some of the Red Tops!!!)

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Things are getting desperate

People need to be listened to

The People are up in arms because all this election stuff has meant that Corrie and 'stenders have been cancelled on some nights

Something must be done!!!!

(for the Fact checkers - this mustbe true as it says so in some of the Red Tops!!!)

It is the Euros Football causing Corrie and Emmerdale to to cancelled, according to Mrs Boldonlad, I am sick of hearing about it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I find one currency very much like another...

I find the best ones are the ones you can use in many different countries....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Latest bit of election material through my door, although it may be a ransom note.

And I'm not sure why he's gone with that stupid URL when rahmanfortynemouth.com is available.

IMG20240618221913.jpg

ebikeerwidnes

Couldn't decide whether this was election news or political humour...

Reform allegedly don't know their tech stuff...

View: https://x.com/miffythegamer/status/1803092721273623011?t=s55njVge0hi3czbCfnsaLw&s=19

SO Reform were expected to actually do some work themselves

SO why didn;t Richard Tice do it then???

I mean - you can;t expect Farage to do stuff like this - he is there to do public appearance and speeches and take all the glory

not do actual work

saw this today as well

Fascism arrives as your friend,
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you…
Michael Rosen

dunno why I thought it was relevant but for some reason I thought I would put it here

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
saw this today as well

Fascism arrives as your friend,
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you…
Michael Rosen

dunno why I thought it was relevant but for some reason I thought I would put it here
I think that is apposite.

Supertanskii yesterday strongly made the point that Farage/Anderson imply through their rhetoric that the working class/average man in the street, sensible bloke down the pub is an ardent xenophobe and racist. Whilst such people do exist (where is the representative for Wolverhampton these days), tarring a whole swathe of the population with that brush is pretty insulting....

Top Bottom