How or Why is an Octopus toy Considered Antisemitic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The octopus has been associated with Russia, Germany, England and others over the years. Make of that what you will.

The octopus has been associated with Russia, Germany, England and others over the years. Make of that what you will.
But on National Geographic it has a whole different context, i see no-one attacking National Geographic for the same reasons.. so maybe context does matter?

Maybe the problem is not the octopus in itself but a combined tone deaf statement, and the therefore added context of the octopus and the different meaning it might have gotten because of that statement?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I couldn't help but be impressed by the commitment!

He ate 4 if the directors commentary is to be believed, which it probably is. The Spike Lee remake was an absolute travesty.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
He ate 4 if the directors commentary is to be believed, which it probably is. The Spike Lee remake was an absolute travesty.

Hollywood remakes of Asian films are for people who think Squid Game was new and groundbreaking.

winjim

Word. I liked when whoever came up with Hunger Games denied it was based on Battle Royale.

It's been done loads. The Running Man for example, OK it's still a bit cult but it's Schwarzenegger and Stephen King, big name American stuff that people have heard of.

Not saying Squid Game wasn't good, I enjoyed it, but if you know those other films and if you've watched any ultraviolent East Asian, particularly Korean cinema then you'll recognise the style straight away.

Not sure what the quoted tweet is and I'm not gonna bother too hard to find the original interview but remember this?

View: https://twitter.com/TheMovieMermaid/status/1492960008111329292?t=ZT3GaSj67fIcR8B9An0v0g&s=19

winjim

Ugh. I can't believe they'd use such offensive imagery to depict a greedy capitalist landlord...

20231123_085418.jpg

Top Bottom