How or Why is an Octopus toy Considered Antisemitic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Another classic entry in the NACA Alternative Dictionary. As Ian said:
Read in isolation rather than in the context of the interplay of posts I could understand why you say that.

Note to self: must not deviate from the NACA zeitgeist that good is above question.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why did you read it in isolation? *I* didn't.

Your post was nonsense - especially in context.

No it wasn't, except when viewed through a NACA virtue signalling wokerati (sic) lens. But the sense or nonsense of my post is certainly a matter of opinion and therefore open to criticism...fair or unfair...which is only fair.

I was not saying that the specific Octopusgate criticism of GT was fair or unfair but that, especially in the field of political argument, once one enters the fray it would be unfair and unrealistic not to expect criticism. No one is above that and getting upset (which I am not sure she is, but others are on her behalf) over criticism is rather pathetic. She in fact recognised why there was criticism by removing the octopus toy from the photo and explaining she was unaware of the symbolism.

Meanwhile thousands are being killed in Gaza and fossil fuels are busily being burned, but hey, that pales into insignificance compared to unfair criticism of one seasoned campaigner and user of social media...that hotbed of unfair criticism.

Last edited:
Going back before the personal attacks and arguments - there was an Octopus

The problems seems to be because Greta T had an octopus toy on the sofa
and at some point someone did an anti-semitic cartoon featuring an octupus

Therefore all octopuses must be kept away from anything about the Middle East or anything connected to the people of the region

err - I have seen nothing else connecting octopuses to anti-Semitism
so are we saying that a single cartoon - allbeit clearly anti-Semitic - mean that this is now a fixed thing??

seems a bit unrealistic???

by the way - good for her for correcting it once she was aware of it
not sure I would want to spend much time with her - but I do respect her for her drive and views - mostly

Dear CC

Just caught my dog on the sofa with an IKEA Octopus, should I be concerned about his political beliefs?
He's known to be quite dogmatic at times....

Yours
Mr Angryasfukaboutanything.

1698066964402.png

Be more specific, that covers a lot of people on NACA.

Indeed, and many other places besides....

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

By jove, he's got it.

It is fair that criticism is allowed, whether that criticism itself is ultimately justified or not...the alternative is too dangerous. Fairness is a rather flexible and unrealistic concept in political debate. There is no VAR.

Probably just as well given how heavily criticised VAR is

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Just because some people haven't heard of it doesn't mean the association of octopus tentacles with Jews isn't a long standing trope. It clearly is. I doubt GT would know the connotations, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hurtful association for the Jewish community even if this was accidental. There are lots of images/symbols that have negative meanings for some groups that might seem trivial to the rest of us.

Screenshot_20231023_143251_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Just because some people haven't heard of it doesn't mean the association of octopus tentacles with Jews isn't a long standing trope. It clearly is. I doubt GT would know the connotations, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hurtful association for the Jewish community even if this was accidental. There are lots of images/symbols that have negative meanings for some groups that might seem trivial to the rest of us.

View attachment 4808

If H&M had excluded black people from advertising that range of clothing, they would have been held up as being racist for excluding black people.

Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don't

Top Bottom