Just Stop P*ssing Everyone Off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quoted the news report. I don't know if it's true but it doesn't really matter.

All publicity is good publicity for JSO. I don't think they will persuade the rabid deniers but the hope is that their campaign will keep the climate emergency at the top of the agenda.

I don't agree with your ''all pubicity is good for JSO'' unless they are just teenagers with no apperent goal all publicity must serve a certain purpose.
the ones that can put that like you say ''on the top of the agenda'' are not the ones affected by ANY of their protest. They are just ruining the goodwill of the public.

The problem is that the climate emergency is not really at the top of the agenda.
Oh it is, ask all those guy who got richer from saving the planet in the past 10 years, that they only save their own wallet is an other story. But it's not about not being on the agenda, it's about a very small group trying to decide what has to be done and mainly using that to enrich themselves.
There are many other things that hit the top of the agenda now that people are bored with Ukraine and Boris has gone, including important things like the troubles of Huw Edwards, Philip Schofield and Nigel Farage.
Think you're a bit behind all yesterday news, except for Farage, but if he farts he try to get it in the news so not surprise there. alltough it is worrying that a bank apperently says f*ckall to privacy if they don't like or agree with the political beleives of their costumer...

When the climate emergency features it is usually providing background for other stories such as ULEZ, people having their holidays spoiled in Greece, the cricket/tennis/snooker being inconvenienced.
Yeah so JSO make the association with it being annoying how are you ever going to bring a message across that way? You don't.

At the moment those annoying pests/selfless heroes (delete as applicable), JSO are the news rather than climate change itself. That's just boring stuff for scientists.
Maybe that's because people are being lied to and made to spend money to save to climate for so long they don't believe it anymore. I mean we needed new refrigerators years back to stop harmfull chemicals destroying the ozone layer(and admittely it also did work) then our rain was sour, then came Al Gore with ''where all gonna die 1.0'' none of his predictions ever came close to reality, but we where told to buy eco friendly wood pallets, diesel cars etc. not even 20 years later diesel is the devil and so are woodpallets...
What is the common dominator in all this time? The rich all get a bit richer again... And the working class, the poor and the just a bit above average are told they are destroying the planet again..

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes, this is definitely a problem.

I think this is partly but not completely true. The question is, what else can ordinary people do to make those in power listen?

The answer is for more 'ordinary' people to get involved.
The numbers involved are tiny, and very often the same people feature. They are no more ordinary than the 67 million people who do not get involved.

mudsticks

Squire
The answer is for more 'ordinary' people to get involved.
The numbers involved are tiny, and very often the same people feature. They are no more ordinary than the 67 million people who do not get involved.

So what are you all waiting for.??

I've been 'involved' for decades and am very 'ordinary'.

I've had some fantastic times with beautiful, committed, intelligent, fun and caring people along the way.

Whilst we try - in many and various ways to bring more attention to, and action on, this vital issue.

And now my younglings are involved as well -
which does rather warm a momma's heart.

Even if the issue wasn't so urgently dire - and I really really wish for everyone's sake that it wasn't - I'd do it all again quite happily.
🌈😇

Rusty Nails

Country Member
So what are you all waiting for.??

I've been 'involved' for decades and am very 'ordinary'.

I've had some fantastic times with beautiful, committed, intelligent, fun and caring people along the way.

Whilst we try - in many and various ways to bring more attention to, and action on, this vital issue.

And now my younglings are involved as well -
which does rather warm a momma's heart.

Even if the issue wasn't so urgently dire - and I really really wish for everyone's sake that it wasn't - I'd do it all again quite happily.
🌈😇

I must admit I am not in any position to criticise people who are or are not actively involved as I am just another consumer of fossil fuels, not always for essential purposes.

I admire people who walk the talk on this issue.

My only real argument with JSO is that it is not easy or realistic to Just Stop Oil. It is a huge world wide task.

My only real argument with JSO is that it is not easy or realistic to Just Stop Oil. It is a huge world wide task.

It's a three word phrase that can be exploited by the hard of thinking*, I must admit. This is their mission statement.

1000022189.png

* I don't mean you, for the avoidance of doubt.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's a three word phrase that can be exploited by the hard of thinking, I must admit. This is their mission statement.

View attachment 4308

As one of the hard of thinking I like slogans that do not over simplify. A mission statement does not register as much as a slogan...that is why they are simplified.
Start Stopping Oil does not have the right ring, as Nike know.

mudsticks

Squire
I must admit I am not in any position to criticise people who are or are not actively involved as I am just another consumer of fossil fuels, not always for essential purposes.

I admire people who walk the talk on this issue.

Well of course it's difficult to stop consuming all fossil fuels in a system that is deliberately constructed so as to keep us consuming them.

We could have, and now should transition away from our oil dependency, now, and fast.

If we'd started earlier, it would have been easier..
But here we are.

Of course it's world wide, we have to work together.
This is the hardest part
It's not that we don't have the knowledge or methodologies at our fingertips , we're clever like that.
it's our inability to work together for the future good of making (and other species) as a whole that's the problem.

Plus the push back from oil corps and their beneficiaries who prefer to see the status quo maintained.

Please see here for a response to the last bit

It's a three word phrase that can be exploited by the hard of thinking*, I must admit. This is their mission statement.

View attachment 4308

* I don't mean you, for the avoidance of doubt.

which i a nonsense statement because stopping all new coal, gas and oil investments will only make things worse. or shift the problem to a other country.

Spot-On Dutchie - and I never thought I'd say that about one of your posts!

It'll be misery for financiers, and big business which have knowingly poisoned the planet and created all them rich people - that sure is a calamity.
And it will shift the problem to other countries - yep, can't disagree there either...but which problem do you foresee shifting to other countries by stopping oil and gas investment?
Do you mean making other countries unfarmable? Uninhabitable? Burnt to a crisp? Would you prefer that islands and lovely Florida disappear underwater, or witness the collapse of the Mediterranean holiday industry? The forced migration of peoples and nations? Starvation on a scale as yet unseen? Death of the great barrier reef, intense flooding and destruction in other lands?
Please be clear...

Pale Rider

Veteran
Spot-On Dutchie - and I never thought I'd say that about one of your posts!

It'll be misery for financiers, and big business which have knowingly poisoned the planet and created all them rich people - that sure is a calamity.
And it will shift the problem to other countries - yep, can't disagree there either...but which problem do you foresee shifting to other countries by stopping oil and gas investment?
Do you mean making other countries unfarmable? Uninhabitable? Burnt to a crisp? Would you prefer that islands and lovely Florida disappear underwater, or witness the collapse of the Mediterranean holiday industry? The forced migration of peoples and nations? Starvation on a scale as yet unseen? Death of the great barrier reef, intense flooding and destruction in other lands?
Please be clear...

If you want to go all Air Miles Fabbers about it, surely what we do is irrelevant compared to the big polluters such as India, China, and the good old US of A.

Not that I buy that, as a parochialist, I think we should do the best we possibly can on our patch, irrespective of what other countries in the world are up to.

At the same time, I have to accept that should the Great Barrier Reef dissolve, a jigsaw thrown onto a court at Wimbledon won't have any impact one way or the other.

If you want to go all Air Miles Fabbers about it, surely what we do is irrelevant compared to the big polluters such as India, China, and the good old US of A.

Not that I buy that, as a parochialist, I think we should do the best we possibly can on our patch, irrespective of what other countries in the world are up to.

At the same time, I have to accept that should the Great Barrier Reef dissolve, a jigsaw thrown onto a court at Wimbledon won't have any impact one way or the other.

I'm sure they said the same about some woman chucking herself under the Kings horse - God Save the Kings Nag!

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We can hardly expect India to reduce its per capita 1.89 tons of CO2 when the UK's is 5.60.

India will not base its per capita CO2 on what the UK does. It is a huge, developing country trying to make its own, very important, place in the world. It will do what's best for India.

By all means let the UK cut down on its CO2 use because it is the right thing to do for its population but, in reality, our influence in the World is not that big anymore.

We cannot have it both ways...setting an example for the rest of the World while being a shitty irrelevance living on past glories.

As Peter Cook once said: “We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
India will not base its per capita CO2 on what the UK does. It is a huge, developing country trying to make its own, very important, place in the world. It will do what's best for India.

By all means let the UK cut down on its CO2 use because it is the right thing to do for its population but, in reality, our influence in the World is not that big anymore.

We cannot have it both ways...setting an example for the rest of the World while being a shitty irrelevance living on past glories.

As Peter Cook once said: “We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."

Contraction and Convergence is still a thing, is it not? It's not about influence - it's about global justice, and having a framework that fosters shared understanding of the problem across nations with different levels of development.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Contraction and Convergence is still a thing, is it not? It's not about influence - it's about global justice, and having a framework that fosters shared understanding of the problem across nations with different levels of development.

Is it? You tell me. If it is to be more than just an empty wishlist of pledges C&C, like Kyoto (RIP) and the Paris Agreement needs the support of everyone...especially the bigger players or the framework collapses.

My point about influence still stands, and we cannot even influence the EU any more.

But yes, It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Last edited:
Top Bottom