Meat is (climate) Murder....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not usually, as those in cheaper and or less desirable housing areas will probably be on proportionately even lower incomes, and have even less disposable income after bills are paid.

Areas of deprivation tend also to have even less access to fresh food on their doorsteps.
ie Waitrose doesn't set up shop where the local population are on very low incomes.

If they have a local shop at all it will be more likely selling what sells - hyper processed , cheap foods.

There are a number of schemes running that are getting fresh and better food into areas where the majority of the population is on low incomes, but provision is patchy and reliant on the energy goodwill and often unpaid labour of a few concerned local citizens .

I'm sure you know all this stuff really anyway.
I feel like I've written this hundreds of times before.

Well, you may have written it a 100 times before, but, that does not necessarily make it so.....

While I would agree with some of what you say, IMHO, the subject of food and what people eat, is slightly more complex than where Waitrose choose to locate their stores.

In terms of disposable income, I would venture to suggest that (say) a nurse, or teacher (for example) living in a "low cost housing area" has more disposable income than the same living in a "high cost housing area".

mudsticks

Squire
Well, you may have written it a 100 times before, but, that does not necessarily make it so.....

While I would agree with some of what you say, IMHO, the subject of food and what people eat, is slightly more complex than where Waitrose choose to locate their stores.

In terms of disposable income, I would venture to suggest that (say) a nurse, or teacher (for example) living in a "low cost housing area" has more disposable income than the same living in a "high cost housing area".

And I never for one moment suggested it was 'that' simple, hence almost repeatedly saying it's all far more complicated than is often suggested here.
Wa1trose Iocate their stores where there is already money, they're solely about making profit, albeit with a partnership model of ownership.
They don't magically make areas more affluent by setting up shop there.

I was pointing out that low income areas very often have less access to fresh food nearby, those living there in dire poverty with limited mobility, cant get to where fresh food is sold even if they can afford it.

Nurses and teachers although perhaps struggling financially too, are not generally at the absolute rock bottom of the social demographic, or income bracket.

So yes of course (rather obviously*) those on the same income, but with cheaper housing will have a larger disposable income, than those who have to pay more for their housing 🙄

*Sorry is this a 'Stating the Bleeding Obvious, Sunday Special Session' , that I'd missed being scheduled ???

BoldonLad

And I never for one moment suggested it was 'that' simple, hence almost repeatedly saying it's all far more complicated than is often suggested here.
Wa1trose Iocate their stores where there is already money, they're solely about making profit, albeit with a partnership model of ownership.
They don't magically make areas more affluent by setting up shop there.

I was pointing out that low income areas very often have less access to fresh food nearby, those living there in dire poverty with limited mobility, cant get to where fresh food is sold even if they can afford it.

Nurses and teachers although perhaps struggling financially too, are not generally at the absolute rock bottom of the social demographic, or income bracket.

So yes of course (rather obviously*) those on the same income, but with cheaper housing will have a larger disposable income, than those who have to pay more for their housing 🙄

*Sorry is this a 'Stating the Bleeding Obvious, Sunday Special Session' , that I'd missed being scheduled ???

I was not making a point about "those on low incomes", or, the position of teachers and nurses in the income pecking order, nor was I making a point about access to fresh food.

I was doubting the statements, "It's to do with the cost of everything else - particularly over-capitalised housing.", and
" Try the cost of housing first. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds" .

Ian H

Guru
I was not making a point about "those on low incomes", or, the position of teachers and nurses in the income pecking order, nor was I making a point about access to fresh food.

I was doubting the statements, "It's to do with the cost of everything else - particularly over-capitalised housing.", and
" Try the cost of housing first. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds" .

Anecdata: Someone I know very well bought a house in the mid-90s for £90k. About three years ago they sold it for just under £700k. Rents have increased by similar percentages. I don't think wages have increased by nearly that amount in the same period.

BoldonLad

Anecdata: Someone I know very well bought a house in the mid-90s for £90k. About three years ago they sold it for just under £700k. Rents have increased by similar percentages. I don't think wages have increased by nearly that amount in the same period.

Interesting, but, I don’t quite see the connection with a low cost housing area, and, people’s dietary habits?

Ian H

Guru
Yes, I get all that, I know of quite a few such areas. But, I repeat, my point was in relation to “low” housing cost areas, not everyone lives in London, Windsor, Esher, etc

'Low' is relative, and the rate of housing price increase above pay has been similar in most areas. Yes, there'll be some people on national wages who fair better where there's cheaper housing, but most folk are paid local rates - assuming they have jobs.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

'Low' is relative, and the rate of housing price increase above pay has been similar in most areas. Yes, there'll be some people on national wages who fair better where there's cheaper housing, but most folk are paid local rates - assuming they have jobs.

Yes, that is why I put it in Quotes ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
It didn't actually.
Deleting posts you made this year does count. Including the one made on Tuesday, 23:53, night saying...
"I will not be updating the solar production thread any more, nor will I be partisipating in any further threads"
Visible until Wednesday morning, then deleted. Along with others on the football and darts thread, giving the appearance that there were no posts made this year by yourself.

just been told by the mods within CC thats this above post by classic33 is bullshit and written by the liar himself…….i dont know for what reason or what your playing at. But for some reason you only appear when i make posts in this place and the other.

Salty seadog

just been told by the mods within CC thats this above post by classic33 is bullshit and written by the liar himself…….i dont know for what reason or what your playing at. But for some reason you only appear when i make posts in this place and the other.

I'm sure the mods would engage with you on that sort of thing. Making up things again me'thinks.

Or do you get special privilege from your time as a mod?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
I'm sure the mods would engage with you on that sort of thing. Making up things again me'thinks.

Or do you get special privilege from your time as a mod?

They have engaged with me, for the past few days to be exact………why dont you ask classic33 to post the real statement and not the one he made up, to make himself look special.

but then again, your just like classic33, you only post when im around….because your a sad little farker with no life.

Salty seadog

They have engaged with me, for the past few days to be exact………why dont you ask classic33 to post the real statement and not the one he made up, to make himself look special.

but then again, your just like classic33, you only post when im around….because your a sad little farker with no life.

Your mother must be proud.

Top Bottom