News that generates Mixed Feelings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Saw this one today..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-61477268

Whilst of course, being robbed is terrible and this is an awful thing to happen, I can't help but think...

What sort of bell-end pays £130,000 for a watch? Seriously?

Why?

I just don't see it at all. If I had the sort of money where I could afford a £130,000 watch, I still wouldn't buy one. I'd be more likely to donate it to buy stuff for food banks or do *something* good with it. It's not as if a £130,000 watch is going to do anything at all that say a £1000 apple watch or a £200 analog watch isn't able to do. It's just opulence for the sake of it. In the pictures, it doesn't even look good!

Interested to see what you all think...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Saw this one today..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-61477268

Whilst of course, being robbed is terrible and this is an awful thing to happen, I can't help but think...

Why?

I just don't see it at all. If I had the sort of money where I could afford a £130,000 watch, I still wouldn't buy one. I'd be more likely to donate it to buy stuff for food banks or do *something* good with it. It's not as if a £130,000 watch is going to do anything at all that say a £1000 apple watch or a £200 analog watch isn't able to do. It's just opulence for the sake of it. In the pictures, it doesn't even look good!

Interested to see what you all think...

If you are talking of function, ie, telling the time, no doubt a £20 watch would serve the purpose. But, in general, I try not to concern myself how other people choose to spend their money (unless they wish me to contribute to their lifestyle).

matticus

Guru
If I had the sort of money where I could afford a £130,000 watch, I still wouldn't buy one. I'd be more likely to donate it to buy stuff for food banks

Seems like the forum has its 2nd saint - well done.
(Can I have an autograph*? Might be worth something one day...

*or is all NFT's these day? )

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
Seems like the forum has its 2nd saint - well done.
(Can I have an autograph*? Might be worth something one day...
I doubt it. I just think that to wear something that costs as much as a small flat on your wrist just advertises that the wearer has really lost touch with reality.

It only makes me feel one thing; anger at thieves. The watch owner may have several reasons to wear such an expensive item; he may have won it; may have been left to him; or he may just work really hard for his money and want an expensive watch. Whatever the case, it seems like you are victim blaming and I don't think that's fair. As long as someone earns their own money I have no issues with how they spend it. And for all you know he may donate to charity as well.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I doubt it. I just think that to wear something that costs as much as a small flat on your wrist just advertises that the wearer has really lost touch with reality.

I think the fact that £130k will only get you a small flat demonstrates that reality has well and truly left the building.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Being physically attacked in the street and robbed will be an awful, traumatising & possibly life-changing experience to anybody it happens to, and I feel for any victim of this type of violence, regardless of their personal circumstances.

My feeling would be that it's unlikely that anybody who could actually afford a £130,000 watch is going to have any particular reason to be too bothered by the loss of the object itself, though.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Apropos of probably quite a few things, isn't it interesting that if the same person in the same place had been robbed of a £20 watch, the BBC wouldn't be talking about it.

Funny, that.

D

Deleted member 28

Why a bell-end, because he spends money on something you wouldn't?

He may give to foodbanks for all you know, he may not do either but that's another matter.

I just can't see why anyone has an issue with what other people spend their own money on, I know the standard reply is 'jealousy' but I'm sur it's not in this case as I wouldn't buy a watch for that much either but couldn't care less if someone else does but I might be as extravagant with other things given the chance.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I just can't see why anyone has an issue with what other people spend their own money on, I know the standard reply is 'jealousy' but I'm sur it's not in this case as I wouldn't buy a watch for that much either but couldn't care less if someone else does but I might be as extravagant with other things given the chance.

In some ways I don't actually disagree with you Shep. In other ways it just starts me thinking existentially about what a world we live in where we have people without houses, an increasing number reliant on food banks but still have a section of society with so much money that they aren't concerned about wearing jewellery worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

If we look back at history , I think we might be at about the point where people start losing their heads (although we aren't French)...

stowie

Struggling to believe a watch could be worth £130k, I looked at their website. One of the watches key marketing points is that it can withstand 5000G. Which makes me wonder what the person wearing the watch would end up like if the watch was ever subjected to such forces.

Top Bottom