No Shamima Begum Thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Give over.

Leave it out.

matticus

Guru
Did you mean to post this? Cos I'm not sure it makes any sense.

I just meant that two people contributed to the confusion.
(Of course both should be shot - goes without saying - but we don't do that on CycleChat... )

icowden

Legendary Member
Is everyone in agreement that she deserved to lose her British Citizenship as she is a threat to National Security, and the Home Secretary and the 2 tribunals ( so far) are correct - or does no one care about the story?
Obviously not. Braverman is too busy trying to get clicks and bungs from the right-wing that she has never heard the adage "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

Begum should be brought back to the UK, tried if she has committed a crime and if not, or if released, kept under surveillance. She could be a potential extremist, she could have learned her lesson. Either way, she is a British citizen. To claim she has Bangladeshi citizenship because they have odd rules when she has never been there is nonsense.

D

Deleted member 121

She was radicalised and made the choice to go on our soil. We must share some of that burden. She was a child when she went and almost certainly falls into an exploitation category. Either way, no one i believe is saying she should not face up to any wrongdoings she may have done, but certainly she is our responsibility to bring justice as above all else, she is a British citizen.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Either way, she is a British citizen. To claim she has Bangladeshi citizenship because they have odd rules when she has never been there is nonsense.

As I understand it, she doesn't have Bangladeshi citizenship and can't claim it. Seems their regs say if a child has a Bangladeshi parent then that child can claim citizenship up to the age of 21. However beyond the age of 21, they can't.

So when she was stripped of her UK citizenship aged 19 or 20, she would have been entitled to claim Bangladeshi, which is presumably the excuse Javid was able to use to pretend she wasn't being made stateless.

D

Deleted member 28

As I understand it, she doesn't have Bangladeshi citizenship and can't claim it. Seems their regs say if a child has a Bangladeshi parent then that child can claim citizenship up to the age of 21. However beyond the age of 21, they can't.

So when she was stripped of her UK citizenship aged 19 or 20, she would have been entitled to claim Bangladeshi, which is presumably the excuse Javid was able to use to pretend she wasn't being made stateless.

Good ploy.

Top Bottom