Runners and riders for the Tory Party leadership...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
How wrong can you be?

Alex Salmond did call it a once in a lifetime opportunity but, and this is the part many people conveniently miss out, he did add 'Unless there's a major material change.' What happened in 2016?

Many people voted to no due to EU membership. We were dragged out of the EU against our 'Democratic' wishes. Millions of UK citizens living abroad suddenly had their votes removed. Is that democracy?

So, don't come at us with the democracy BS. We have to ask a government in another country, that we never voted for, permission to have a say in the future of our nation which is on the verge of being hammered due to England's never ending nervous and mental breakdown.

That's not democracy, that's colonialism. And Scotland's pissed off having to deal with the end result.

Scotland were in the EU as part of the UK and not as a stand alone country…the UK voted to leave, scotland is part of the Uk, like it or not.

when did you leave the UK???

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Scotland were in the EU as part of the UK and not as a stand alone country…the UK voted to leave, scotland is part of the Uk, like it or not.

when did you leave the UK???

Scotland chose to stay part of the UK in 2014 after being told that was absolutely the only way we could stay in the EU.

jowwy

Scotland chose to stay part of the UK in 2014 after being told that was absolutely the only way we could stay in the EU.

Yes it would have been the only way…..cause you get next to no chance of getting in there as an independant country. But also at the time, i bet no-one knew that 2016 referendum was on the cards on the EU and absolutley no-one thought during that referendum that leave would win.

so yes, at the time in 2014 it was the only way scotland would stay in the EU…..

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Scotland didnt have a vote…..it was the UK.

but they will use anything in scotland to get a 2nd indy ref, cause they lost the first one……how democratic of you.

Mate.

I didnt……..i dont listen to boris, im welsh, we are mostly governed by the senydd and as wales also voted for brexit, then im in the majority for the country and the wider uk.

im welsh, we as a country within the UK voted for brexit, im in the majority within wales

jowwy

What……..wales had a vote as part of the referendum, the same as scotland

BUT

only as part of the UK, we also didnt have a vote as an independant country, if wales voted to stay in, then i would have still respected the result as it was a UK vote on leaving. Because for the same reason as scotland, wales was only in the EU as part of the UK…..

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Yes it would have been the only way…..cause you get next to no chance of getting in there as an independant country. But also at the time, i bet no-one knew that 2016 referendum was on the cards on the EU and absolutley no-one thought during that referendum that leave would win.

so yes, at the time in 2014 it was the only way scotland would stay in the EU…..

I think within the Tory party, by 2014 they would have been well aware a referendum on EU membership was in the offing, given the nature of their own divisions and the fact they were haemmoraging support to hard-right grifters like Farage.

Completely agree the result wasn't forseen by anyone, even on the day exit polls were something like 55% remain, IIRC.

The EU's attitude towards an independent Scotland joining has, since Brexit, been very positive and there are obviously other routes to Customs Union/Single Market access, such as the EEA and EFTA. That said, the Tories would vote devolution into oblivion (which they can) before they would give up Cash Cow Scotland. Wait and see.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think within the Tory party, by 2014 they would have been well aware a referendum on EU membership was in the offing, given the nature of their own divisions and the fact they were haemmoraging support to hard-right grifters like Farage.

Completely agree the result wasn't forseen by anyone, even on the day exit polls were something like 55% remain, IIRC.

The EU's attitude towards an independent Scotland joining has, since Brexit, been very positive and there are obviously other routes to Customs Union/Single Market access, such as the EEA and EFTA. That said, the Tories would vote devolution into oblivion (which they can) before they would give up Cash Cow Scotland. Wait and see.

Perhaps, slightly off topic, and, perhaps Constitutionally absurd, but, given the name ie "United Kingdom", and, that it was James Stuart (King of Scotland) who became first king of "United Kingdom", in 1603, wouldn't an Independent Scotland be more akin to them (ie the Scots), giving Independence to the English, rather than the other way around?

Just musing....

BoldonLad

Braverman out, Rishi and Mordaunt in the lead, there must be lots of hand wringing going on in the Gentleman's Clubs of Westminster, ;)

Last edited:

The Crofted Crest

Perhaps, slightly off topic, and, perhaps Constitutionally absurd, but, given the name ie "United Kingdom", and, that it was James Stuart (King of Scotland) who became first king of "United Kingdom", in 1603, wouldn't an Independent Scotland be more akin to them (ie the Scots), giving Independence to the English, rather than the other way around?

Just musing....

Acksherly, the union didn't come about until 1707. England passed an Act of Union in 1706 and Scotland followed a year later, under the last Stuart, Queen Anne. Until then they had been two separate countries with the same head of state. A bit like England and Jamaica (until recently).

BoldonLad

Acksherly, the union didn't come about until 1707. England passed an Act of Union in 1706 and Scotland followed a year later, under the last Stuart, Queen Anne. Until then they had been two separate countries with the same head of state. A bit like England and Jamaica (until recently).

Well, well, everyday is a school day, History was never my strong point, beyond a vague understanding. As I think I indicated, I was not making a serious Constitutional suggestion.. but.. isn't is nevertheless true that the Monarch who as it were "won through" to become Monarch of both (United) Countries was, in practice a Scot (or at least, of Scots lineage)? Actually, according to Wiki, she became Queen of Great Britain, not UK.

I am not a Royalist, or, indeed particularly Nationalistic by the way... just musing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom