Runners and riders for the Tory Party leadership...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
'Dishy Rishi' fan eh? ;-)

Sorry, I did my "Mancini" post, before I had read your quip ;)

BoldonLad

And, in other news Cost of living: 'I owe my mum £6,000 but I can't stop spending' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62148525

Billions are spent on attempts to make people feel bad if they don’t provide the latest junk for themselves and their families. It’s hardly surprising that it often works.

That’s quite apart from wondering why a working mum should be looked down upon for taking her kids away to Butlins for a few days. Isn’t it more relevant to ask why she’s so poorly paid?

BoldonLad

Which do you think is a reflection of the country ? Do you think more people are struggling or it just down to frivolous spending....
But you sort of knew anyway didn't you.🙄

Well, the BBC article puts the "frivolous spending" at 25% of the population, if I read it correctly, but, personally, I couldn't say, except, I am not one of them (frivolous spenders).

D

Deleted member 49

Well, the BBC article puts the "frivolous spending" at 25% of the population, if I read it correctly, but, personally, I couldn't say, except, I am not one of them (frivolous spenders).
Your usual quoting a article but "I couldn't say"......let me put it another way.Do you think that 25% of the population are in trouble financially because of their spending habits ? Or do you think the increase in the cost of living is hurting them ?

BoldonLad

Your usual quoting a article but "I couldn't say"......let me put it another way.Do you think that 25% of the population are in trouble financially because of their spending habits ? Or do you think the increase in the cost of living is hurting them ?

Well, the "I couldn't say" is because I am not an expert on the Nations spending habits, but, if you want my opinion, based on my day to day observations, then, yes, I would believe 25% of the population are in financial trouble because of their spending habits. If you have some spare cash, I could introduce you to daughter No4 and/or a number of her mates.

D

Deleted member 49

Well, the "I couldn't say" is because I am not an expert on the Nations spending habits, but, if you want my opinion, based on my day to day observations, then, yes, I would believe 25% of the population are in financial trouble because of their spending habits. If you have some spare cash, I could introduce you to daughter No4 and/or a number of her mates.
Yea and I know a bloke in my local who's allways in there,smokes,never works and as far as I can tell and got a better phone than me....

It can be both things, can't it? There are obviously people who live to the maximum of their income already and are reluctant to cut back on their standard of living when the price rises start. And there are others for whom an extra £20 on the grocery bill means being overdrawn at the bank.

We've all got used to stuff like clothes and tv's being cheap, and we're all pressured to keep up to a lifestyle that we can't afford, especially young people. Underlying this though is a whole class of people, young and old, for whom having a £400 weekend at Butlin's is about as attainable as buying a Porsche. Many of these are actually working, and many of them are single and get little help from tax credits etc.

I don't have much sympathy for the £400 at Butlin's woman, or the guy who treats himself to Lego, but articles like this divert away from the real problem, which is that we have a huge number of people at the bottom of the social pile who live very precariously despite being careful with money.

The article should have been listed under 'Psychology: why can't I stop spending' not 'Business'.

BoldonLad

It can be both things, can't it? There are obviously people who live to the maximum of their income already and are reluctant to cut back on their standard of living when the price rises start. And there are others for whom an extra £20 on the grocery bill means being overdrawn at the bank.

We've all got used to stuff like clothes and tv's being cheap, and we're all pressured to keep up to a lifestyle that we can't afford, especially young people. Underlying this though is a whole class of people, young and old, for whom having a £400 weekend at Butlin's is about as attainable as buying a Porsche. Many of these are actually working, and many of them are single and get little help from tax credits etc.

I don't have much sympathy for the £400 at Butlin's woman, or the guy who treats himself to Lego, but articles like this divert away from the real problem, which is that we have a huge number of people at the bottom of the social pile who live very precariously despite being careful with money.

The article should have been listed under 'Psychology: why can't I stop spending' not 'Business'.

Indeed. That pretty much matches up with my experience as a volunteer (I no longer do it).

D

Deleted member 49

It's click bait ! So what someone blows 400 quid on a holiday at Butlins !
It just deflects about the bigger problems were facing as a country.

Top Bottom