Schofield has been a naughty boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

I just wonder if the forum technology these days has reached high level sentience when i see this thread:
"Schofield has been a naughty boy" with the first similar threads below being "You just have to accept that you've been shafted"

matticus

Guru
I think we knew most of it but it coming out about the lying to his employers, agent, and the press bit was his ultimate downfall really.
None of which are crimes. Nor is shagging someone much younger, employed in the same organisation.

I don't know for sure if he's done anything wrong (the devil is in the detail), but lying about your romantic/personal affairs is far from an automatic ethical black mark in my book. People have reasons 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
None of which are crimes. Nor is shagging someone much younger, employed in the same organisation.

I don't know for sure if he's done anything wrong (the devil is in the detail), but lying about your romantic/personal affairs is far from an automatic ethical black mark in my book. People have reasons 🤷‍♀️

Although it is a common enough occurrence, I do think lying to your wife/husband/partner, as is clearly necessary to conduct an affair, makes me doubt the integrity of the individual concerned.

I recognise this may be an out-dated view.

I don't think it means that the individual concerned should be hounded out of their job, or otherwise vilified. The old saying "People in glass houses" comes to mind.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Not illegal, but lying to your employer and the press undermines your credibility a bit I would say. Plus if your tv persona has been crafted to be that of the 'housewives favourite' mould then that's going to put you in a bit of an untenable position when you aren't as squeaky clean as it seems. I don't think other tv stars have been treated much differently for behaviour that is legal, eg Frank Bough. Others have weathered the storm over stuff like tax evasion which is arguably worse than private legal behaviour. Times have changed but it's the lying that's made the big difference here imo. Probably not best to lie to the Mail either; they are milking it big style.

icowden

Legendary Member
Times have changed but it's the lying that's made the big difference here imo.
I think that, and the undercurrent of him potentially grooming a young teenager, even though the chap in question has made no complaint.
In fact it looks like Schofield fell on his sword to protect the chap who was being hounded by the usual suspects.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
A child protection expert on the radio said that starting a friendship with a minor then moving to a sexual relationship when they become of age is a big red flag for grooming.
Especially with the massive power imbalance and age gap.
Hiding it is even worse.

matticus

Guru
Not illegal, but lying to your employer and the press undermines your credibility a bit I would say. Plus if your tv persona has been crafted to be that of the 'housewives favourite' mould then that's going to put you in a bit of an untenable position when you aren't as squeaky clean as it seems. I don't think other tv stars have been treated much differently for behaviour that is legal, eg Frank Bough. Others have weathered the storm over stuff like tax evasion which is arguably worse than private legal behaviour. Times have changed but it's the lying that's made the big difference here imo. Probably not best to lie to the Mail either; they are milking it big style.
I agree with this, the reality of the celeb-sphere being what it is.

But I wanted to point out that these allegation are all relative - he has not done anything known to be wrong, they are only a problem viewed through the prism of his industry.

So: unless you work with him, or are a lifelong (housewife??) fan, why are people interested? 🤷‍♂️
Also, Holloby Willoby and Eamonn Holmes both know the game; their faked outrage is a bit pathetic to watch, Holmes' especially. He sounds like he wants to meet Schoffers out in the car-park :P

spen666

Lying to your employer could be Fraud by False Representation under S2 Fraud Act

2Fraud by false representation​

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a)dishonestly makes a false representation, and

(b)intends, by making the representation—

(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2)A representation is false if—

(a)it is untrue or misleading, and

(b)the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

(3)“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—

(a)the person making the representation, or

(b)any other person.

(4)A representation may be express or implied.

(5)For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention).
If he lied to his employer to avoid getting sacked, then the S2 offence would seem to be made out
If he lied, then he has made a dishonest false representation. By definition a lie is a dishonest and false representation
If he did it to avoid getting sacked or the risk of getting sacked, then he has done it to make a gain for himself or another - eg he will continue to get paid

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I was thinking more of the cheating on his wife aspect than the age of the young man, in terms of other celebrities brazening it out . But yes now more details have come out his position was untenable. It's good that people are recognising that even if the young person is over the age of consent there's a moral issue when someone with money, power, and career influence starts a relationship with a much younger person. That should apply in all industries but it's obviously more prevalent in the arts where 'who you know' can help a lot.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It's quite difficult to pick out credible suspicions from the gossip proliferating online, especially as the young man whose name and picture is being bandied about hasn't spoken publicly about it or made allegations. However, no one is really interested in people lying to their employers about affairs despite Spen whanging out his big file on the subject, and the ITV hierarchy are not bothered about men lying to their now-ex wives, so it's pretty safe to say that the sequence of events as we know it looks to be about the controlling the narrative and about various people positioning themselves in ways that look very much like distancing or deniability.

spen666

It's quite difficult to pick out credible suspicions from the gossip proliferating online, especially as the young man whose name and picture is being bandied about hasn't spoken publicly about it or made allegations. However, no one is really interested in people lying to their employers about affairs despite Spen whanging out his big file on the subject, and the ITV hierarchy are not bothered about men lying to their now-ex wives, so it's pretty safe to say that the sequence of events as we know it looks to be about the controlling the narrative and about various people positioning themselves in ways that look very much like distancing or deniability.

Nice attempt to play the person there when they merely provide a factual account of the law.
No amount of abuse and insults by you will change what S2 of the Fraud Act provides which is such that lying to your employer to avoid disciplinary action or the sack could be a criminal offence

I'm sorry if the statement of facts gets in the way of your usual attempts to spin the narrative to suit your views.

Top Bottom