Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

I wonder if he's got another video explaining how the Tory party is also highly factionalised, and how competing factions split the party, forced out the establishment people and a new radical PM was installed by plebiscite vote, who then proposed tax cuts for the rich, which resulted in a response from city traders that crashed the economy.

Or maybe he hasn't worked out how to spin that one.

albion

Guru

Reactions: C R

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's one thing to break pledges once elected. It's another thing entirely to react to circumstances and make changes before you've even committed pen to paper in a manifesto.

He's a party leader, not a friggen clairvoyant

(Welcome back, btw)

He was elected leader three years ago. A parliamentary term is five years.

D

Deleted member 49

It's one thing to break pledges once elected. It's another thing entirely to react to circumstances and make changes before you've even committed pen to paper in a manifesto.

He's a party leader, not a friggen clairvoyant

(Welcome back, btw)

Bit like today when he confirmed he won't repeal the Public Order Act ? Yet in his election campaign to be leader he was telling us he stood up for protesters lol...
He's a fecking fraud who doesn't deserve to be anywhere near power.

Last edited by a moderator:

multitool

Bit like today when he confirmed he won't repeal the Public Order Act ? Yet in his election campaign to be leader he was telling us he stood up for protesters lol...
He's a fecking fraud who doesn't deserve to be anywhere near power.

Over a year ago Starmer said he wanted stricter sentencing for disruptive protests, so I don't see this as a particular surprise. Newly elected governments don't tend to immediately start repealing every law anyway.

Starmer, for very obvious reasons, is trying to appeal to the middle ground, because those are the votes he needs and the votes he thinks he can win.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
labour public order bill.jpg

C R

Über Member
Over a year ago Starmer said he wanted stricter sentencing for disruptive protests, so I don't see this as a particular surprise. Newly elected governments don't tend to immediately start repealing every law anyway.

Starmer, for very obvious reasons, is trying to appeal to the middle ground, because those are the votes he needs and the votes he thinks he can win.

Has the middle ground moved so far to the right that calling out fascism is now considered far left?

D

Deleted member 49

Over a year ago Starmer said he wanted stricter sentencing for disruptive protests, so I don't see this as a particular surprise. Newly elected governments don't tend to immediately start repealing every law anyway
Yea a bit like Sir Tony repealing Thatchers anti union laws... once in we'll all be surprised won't we 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: C R

multitool

Has the middle ground moved so far to the right that calling out fascism is now considered far left?

Fascism :laugh:

This is not a fascist country, in any way. There might be a creep towards authoritarianism, but we still have a multi-party representative government, an independent judiciary, a press that can write what they like and the right to say what we like.

Fascism. Lol.

There was an anti-monarchy protest on Saturday, despite the arrest of the six people, so this wasnt an attempt to shut down all protest. The police messed up and admitted they'd messed up. They had a new law they were expected to police. Frankly, as much as I think they can be truly shït at times, on this occasion I think they were in a difficult position. It was redolent of the covid lockdown laws, when different forces were trying to work out how to interpret them, and some went too far. We all cheered when Boris got fined, though, didn't we :rolleyes:

What would have been the reaction if a bunch of people had seriously disrupted the procession? It's really easy to be an armchair critic with the benefit of hindsight, and no actual pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom