Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only surprise is that the “pledge” was made at all.

IMG_3610.jpeg

https://www.politics.co.uk/week-in-...mber-keir-starmers-role-in-johnsons-downfall/

Bringing down the Prime Minister. This is what real opposition looks like, rather than grandstanding on a Glastonbury stage in some huge ego trip

Fantastic, well done Keir, I guess.

What will they do once they’ve replaced the current Tories? I hope they won’t be quite as venal but there are an awful lot of worrisome signs already that we are heading for Austerity 2.0. The mooted fix is yet more private involvement (wealth extraction) in matters that should be kept in the public domain.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

multitool

For once I agree with you Tool....Starmer was the only person who held him in contempt,non of us had a clue about Johnson until Kier showed us the man he was.
Forensic is a understatement !

It is one thing to hold hold somebody in contempt, and another to manoeuvre him into lying in the House.

Note also that the RW tabloids have tried, and failed to sink Starmer over the beer and takeaway. 13 consecutive front pages in the Mail.

For all that you hate him he is still here and Johnson and Saint Jeremy aren't.

C R

Über Member
It is one thing to hold hold somebody in contempt, and another to manoeuvre him into lying in the House.

Note also that the RW tabloids have tried, and failed to sink Starmer over the beer and takeaway. 13 consecutive front pages in the Mail.

For all that you hate him he is still here and Johnson and Saint Jeremy aren't.

I think the problem with this reasoning is that the set of skills required to goad someone like de Pfeffel into incriminating themselves, is quite different from the set of skills required to lead the country out of the disaster created by over a decade of tory maladministration.

multitool

You do know what the word 'opposition' means, don't you?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The question is, does Labour?

They've had enough practice to get it right in the past 60 years and especially over the last thirteen, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Personally I don't much like Starmer's approach, but I can see the sense in just letting the Tories continue to mess things up, which they are doing quite well on their own given the time to the next election.

There is a balance to be made between a permanent state of protest and 'let's do nothing to risk antagonising the public' and everyone will have their own opinions on where the Labour Party stands on this, but for the non-committed and those for whom the detail of politics is not an all-consuming interest, which covers most of the public imo, the current approach is working as far as the important practicalities of weakening support for the Tories are concerned.

Gesture politics vs realpolitik.

multitool

Are those the only two options available to him?

Probably. Remember that Labour are held to a far higher standard in terms of presentational politics than the Tories. In some respects 2019 had populist leaders of both main parties, but one was emphatically rejected. The Tories can get away with convivial buffoon with shirt hanging out and ruffled hair. You don't need to imagine what would happen if Labour fronted up with that because we've seen what happened when Foot wore a donkey jacket and Millipede ate a bacon sandwich a bit too voraciously.

Top Bottom