Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I think the key is that Starmer is wanting to present himself and his party as 'government in waiting', rather than make the Corbynite error of being a party of student politics and protest.

Picking up all the best-quality 'Likes', there, Multers. :whistle:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
That magazine article seems to think so

Josh Self [Who? - Ed.] And Ayesha Hazarika seem to have receivedthe same WhatsApp message.

D

Deleted member 49

Probably. Remember that Labour are held to a far higher standard in terms of presentational politics than the Tories. In some respects 2019 had populist leaders of both main parties, but one was emphatically rejected. The Tories can get away with convivial buffoon with shirt hanging out and ruffled hair. You don't need to imagine what would happen if Labour fronted up with that because we've seen what happened when Foot wore a donkey jacket and Millipede ate a bacon sandwich a bit too voraciously.
More drivel.

D

Deleted member 49

Care to explain why, Adam? In sentences that make sense.

Missions,pledges...he's literally gone back on everything,and you think the way he presents himself/looks is what matters. What about the real issues... climate,wages, strikes, prices, housing, nhs....the list goes on whilst all Labour seem to be offering us is "not quite as bad"
He's the leader of the Labour party,he's supposed to be standing up for workers not short term corporate interests who don't give a feck about frying the planet ! But fiscal rules and a nice suit 🙄
https://labourlist.org/2023/06/keir-starmer-we-must-accept-the-consequences-of-our-fiscal-rules/

multitool

Missions,pledges...he's literally gone back on everything

Are you sure?

https://labour.org.uk/missions/

and you think the way he presents himself/looks is what matters.

No. I didn't say that.

What about the real issues... climate,wages, strikes, prices, housing, nhs....the list goes on whilst all Labour seem to be offering us is "not quite as bad"

Now relate that back to the mission pledges

He's the leader of the Labour party,he's supposed to be standing up for workers not short term corporate interests who don't give a feck about frying the planet ! But fiscal rules and a nice suit 🙄

Corporations are just businesses, and we live in an economic system predicated on growth. This means businesses are financed by shareholders. Without them, no investment. With no profit, people won't invest. Without investment, businesses don't grow, therefore fewer jobs, less revenue from taxation and more spending on welfare.

You seem to think there are simple solutions, available to government, in a complex world. There aren't

Of course that economic model is also what is killing our planet, but I don't see Adam not buying food from supermarkets, not buying fuel for his car, not buying the phone he is typing his bullshìt into.

I'm sure Adam has an easy solution to hand.

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

Are you sure?

https://labour.org.uk/missions/

No. I didn't say that.

Now relate that back to the mission pledges

Corporations are just businesses, and we live in an economic system predicated on growth. This means businesses are financed by shareholders. Without them, no investment. With no profit, people won't invest. Without investment, businesses don't grow, therefore fewer jobs, less revenue from taxation and more spending on welfare.

You seem to think there are simple solutions, available to government, in a complex world. There aren't

Of course that economic model is also what is killing our planet, but I don't see Adam not buying food from supermarkets, not buying fuel for his car, not buying the phone he is typing his bullshìt into.

Reasons to be cheerful 1,2,3…

bobzmyunkle

I'm old enough to remember a time when we believed in progress. It hasn't turned out quite as good as expected. But it's best to hold on to a little bit of hope Tool.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

You keep saying this...but I don't buy that securonomics,bidenomics,toolonomics bullshit.
Maybe you just accept thats where we are and we can't afford as much public spending.But if the state doesn't fund it where does it come from ? Private finance which costs us more.Higher bills to fund higher returns for big business,not forgetting it's shareholders.More PFI great.We don't have money for this or that but we've billions for foreign wars, coronations, fake ppe, covid apps,feck whatever you feel like really.
You could go on forever but without some redistribution of wealth how's things ever really going to change.

multitool

You keep saying this...but I don't buy that securonomics,bidenomics,toolonomics bullshit.
Maybe you just accept thats where we are and we can't afford as much public spending.But if the state doesn't fund it where does it come from ? Private finance which costs us more.Higher bills to fund higher returns for big business,not forgetting it's shareholders.More PFI great.We don't have money for this or that but we've billions for foreign wars, coronations, fake ppe, covid apps,feck whatever you feel like really.
You could go on forever but without some redistribution of wealth how's things ever really going to change.

That is all just bla, Adam. No depth, no detail, no focus. It's 'man down the pub' bullshît.

Of course there is some degree of choice where public funding goes and how it is spent, but you seem to think throwing money at something is necessarily a cure, or that it is consequence free.

Top Bottom