Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Legendary Member
The policy as it is formulated is not really very useful. Making private schools actually live up to their charitable status would be much more useful.

Not really. They merely offer a leg-up based on money not merit. This disadvantages every child who can't afford a private education.

multitool

Except that they haven't tried to expel him.

They written to him asking him to account for his actions.

I reckon a fair proportion of parents wouldn't stand for that. As I've said before, for all the talk of small classes and better facilities, the biggest attraction is the social and cultural apartheid.

I think the class thing is a big deal for those who use the very prestigious private schools, less for those who use smaller ones. Sometimes it's because the local state school is badly rated. Some who can afford it will move to the catchment area of a better school, some will get private tutors, others will go private if they can afford it. Many of us on here will have chosen houses based on the quality of school and paid the premium for it.

There's no reason for private schools to have charitable status, but in the absence of anything being done about that they should be made to do much more to keep it, like open up their sports facilities for other schools to use.

D

Deleted member 121

Some who can afford it will move to the catchment area of a better school, some will get private tutors, others will go private if they can afford it. Many of us on here will have chosen houses based on the quality of school and paid the premium for it.

Some are home educating also. It is a growing method of education that some councils seem to support more than others but is definitely an option for some and there also tends to be a high success rate for home educated children too. The amount of options available to parents who go down this route online is quite extraordinary really.

Yes, there's a lot more interest in it these days. There's so much online stuff now and entering kids for exams as external candidates is easier than ever. It's become a practical option for many now they work from home. It's a huge thing in the States, really big, and the support networks are increasing all the time.

icowden

Legendary Member
I assume the flake (otherwise known as @icowden ) has gone in to meltdown and f*cked off?
Nope - I don't spend *all* my time in here @shep
How you people cope in the real world is beyond me, he felt hard done to living in Surrey, kids at private school and driving a brand new electric car!
How are the reading primers coming along? I don't feel hard done by at all.

icowden

Legendary Member
Not really. They merely offer a leg-up based on money not merit. This disadvantages every child who can't afford a private education.
Except evidently me as I got a leg up based on merit not money. I know other people who had this advantage. My best friend was there because his parents were both in the army, and army kids routinely got placed in boarding schools.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Except that they haven't tried to expel him.

They written to him asking him to account for his actions.

And you think that's reasonable?

icowden

Legendary Member
If you are a party member and you advising people to vote for another party, it's reasonable to ask why.
Yes and no.
They added: “Mr Lawson hasn’t been expelled. He was served with a notice of allegation seven days ago, putting claims to him that he expressed support for candidates from other parties. He has 14 days to respond. He is yet to do so.”

So if he says - "yes, that's normal. We need to work with other parties to further our own position. There are seats we cannot win that other parties can win, and by alliance we have our best shot at a Labour Majority" - do you think that's going to go down well, or badly?

Reactions: C R

multitool

Yes and no.

So if he says - "yes, that's normal. We need to work with other parties to further our own position. There are seats we cannot win that other parties can win, and by alliance we have our best shot at a Labour Majority" - do you think that's going to go down well, or badly?

We will have to see. But I suppose it depends on whether it contravened party policy.

My guess would be that this is about enforcing party discipline.

D

Deleted member 49

We will have to see. But I suppose it depends on whether it contravened party policy.

My guess would be that this is about enforcing party discipline.
I'd guess he'll let it slide..does he want to look like a bigger pr1ck than he allready does ?
Even if you want to ignore the likes of Mandleson, they've welcomed back those who stood in election for other parties in 2019.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yes.

If you are a party member and you advising people to vote for another party, it's reasonable to ask why.

OMG wait til you hear about Mike Gapes and Luciana Berger and Angela Smith and John Mann and what Will Hutton did to Emma Dent Coad, and what Scottish Labour have been up to for years...

I don't believe for a second that you actually believe this is why he's been targeted, or think it's reasonable to interrogate an openly pluralist member whose entire oeuvre for years has been about tactical cooperation with other parties, about a two-year old Tweet praising cross-party cooperation. The charitable explanation is that you're doubling down for larks...

Top Bottom