Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Here’s an idea. How about tax rises for those that would be best able to carry the burden?

"In a plea to both main parties, however, Johnson called for an honest acknowledgement that large swathes of the electorate would have to pay more tax if incoming ministers wanted to improve public services.

“I characterise it as quite scary, actually,” Johnson said. “If you look at the OBR at budget time, they were essentially saying that on the set of assumptions then, debt would be stable at the end of the five-year period. That is in a world in which we’ve had the biggest tax increases in living memory and completely implausibly tight spending plans, post-election. Things have got worse since then.

“My plea, in a sense, is that it would be really quite helpful if [both parties] could be open about the scale of the challenges … The part we’re not going to get any honesty on, I don’t think, is on tax and spending."

It isn't just tax cuts he's worried about. It's financing public spending.

D

Deleted member 49

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-ifs-paul-johnson?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

It's a bit shìt when Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies and Professor of Economics at UCL, knows less about economics than @Adam4868
Tool thinking he's found some sort of gotcha 🤣
Tax cuts for the rich and taxing the rich aren't really the same thing, are they? Anyway I'm more of a redistribution of wealth sort,you know one day were the 5/6 richest nation in the world and then whoops we can't even afford to fund public services,or pay people what they deserve.Its bollox wether the IFS want to say different or not.I wonder if Paul Johnson has had a pay cut 🙄

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
"In a plea to both main parties, however, Johnson called for an honest acknowledgement that large swathes of the electorate would have to pay more tax if incoming ministers wanted to improve public services.

“I characterise it as quite scary, actually,” Johnson said. “If you look at the OBR at budget time, they were essentially saying that on the set of assumptions then, debt would be stable at the end of the five-year period. That is in a world in which we’ve had the biggest tax increases in living memory and completely implausibly tight spending plans, post-election. Things have got worse since then.

“My plea, in a sense, is that it would be really quite helpful if [both parties] could be open about the scale of the challenges … The part we’re not going to get any honesty on, I don’t think, is on tax and spending."

It isn't just tax cuts he's worried about. It's financing public spending.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...son-review-how-the-government-should-spend-it

Who are we to believe?

What did it say? Seems to have been disappeared.

Mr Starmer is reminiscing in a Four Yorkshiremen kind of a way about how he was too poor to watch Arsenal as a child but used to go when he was an adult and pay £4 to stand on the terraces. He fondly remembers the smell of burgers and horse sh*t (I'm paraphrasing...). That's the gist of it. You have to imagine it in a Ron Manager jumpers for goal posts voice for best effect.

It's funny how sport is the classic go to to establish yourself as a 'man of the people' type. It's cheaper to go to the opera than see my local team.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Was football that expensive when Starmer was kid? He says he couldn't afford to go. I call bullshit.

We need a chart showing the price of entry to Arsenal Football Ground from (say) 1970 until now, and, knowledge of how much pocket money Sir Keith got as a child, to answer that one. ;)

Top Bottom