Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Anyway, I bothered to read the article where Starmer allegedly praises Thatcher. Turns out he doesn't praise what she did at all, but praises her having a sense of purpose.

I see his point. He's talking about transformational politics. He's also trying to prise the narrative away from polarised populist certainties.

I read the article. It's not fulsome praise for Thatcher (although it's far from negative), and the rest was the same empty, policy-free soundbite waffle he always guffs out.

But we live in a world where people form their opinions and voting choices through headlines. The article was paywalled in a right-wing Sunday paper - Starmer knew bloody well what the headlines would say and that the Thatcher comment (the only notable content) would be a huge context-free headline, and the only part that cut through.

So - why? I think he gambles that centrists & the Labour Left (although he's probably happy to be shot of a few more of 'the wrong sort of voter') will still hold their noses rather than risk another 5 Tory years - so this is a play for a perceived (possibly non-existent in post-Brexit 2023) disenfranchised contingent of so-called 'One-Nation' Tories who can't stomach the squalour of the current Tory party, & for whom Thatch is some sort of totemic symbol of their lost past greatness. Or something.

I do think he's fücking his chances in Scotland - Labour's presumed resurgence here is only based on the 'I don't want to vote Labour but I can't vote for them' idea, following the ongoing clown-car toxification of the SNP. But Thatcher is so vehemently, violently despised here that it's probably going to take Sturgeon behind bars, & pics of Humza Yousaf posing oiled & naked with an AK47, bending down to reveal a rainbow 'I ❤️ HAMAS' tattoo (across both buttocks) to have a chance of turning this around.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I read the article. It's not fulsome praise for Thatcher (although it's far from negative), and the rest was the same empty, policy-free soundbite waffle he always guffs out.

But we live in a world where people form their opinions and voting choices through headlines. The article was paywalled in a right-wing Sunday paper - Starmer knew bloody well what the headlines would say and that the Thatcher comment (the only notable content) would be a huge context-free headline, and the only part that cut through.

So - why? I think he gambles that centrists & the Labour Left (although he's probably happy to be shot of a few more of 'the wrong sort of voter') will still hold their noses rather than risk another 5 Tory years - so this is a play for a perceived (possibly non-existent in post-Brexit 2023) disenfranchised contingent of so-called 'One-Nation' Tories who can't stomach the squalour of the current Tory party, & for whom Thatch is some sort of totemic symbol of their lost past greatness. Or something.

I do think he's fücking his chances in Scotland - Labour's presumed resurgence here is only based on the 'I don't want to vote Labour but I can't vote for them' idea, following the ongoing clown-car toxification of the SNP. But Thatcher is so vehemently, violently despised here that it's probably going to take Sturgeon behind bars, & pics of Humza Yousaf posing oiled & naked with an AK47, bending down to reveal a rainbow 'I ❤️ HAMAS' tattoo (across both buttocks) to have a chance of turning this around.

This is one of the finest things I've read on this forum.

Labour f*cked themselves in Scotland long ago.

Ian H

Guru
Down here in Toryland I think the best we can hope for is a revival of the old non-conformist/Liberal vote, perhaps transferred to the LibDems. I think most people have forgotten about Norman Scott's dog by now. But the perception here of the Labour party is important, because those voting LibDem will mostly realise that Labour will benefit.

bobzmyunkle

I think most people have forgotten about Norman Scott's dog by now.
But we haven't forgotten about Clegg and his orange book chums. Facilitators of austerity is the least of the charges.

Ian H

Guru
But we haven't forgotten about Clegg and his orange book chums. Facilitators of austerity is the least of the charges.

It's as likely that the LibDems would have a place in the next administration as it is that one of Scott's current dogs gets shot. I think folk realise that.

multitool

Pharaoh
Ha ha you even wiki'd them, you loser :laugh:

The mere idea of an aspiring UK political leader going anywhere near a republican band whose name invokes terrorist violence. :laugh:

What a buffoon.

D

Deleted member 49

Ha ha you even wiki'd them, you loser :laugh:

The mere idea of an aspiring UK political leader going anywhere near a republican band whose name invokes terrorist violence. :laugh:

What a buffoon.
They're a hip hop band who were born after the troubles and have feck all to do with the IRA.Its for a fundraising concert which my partner will be at no doubt.You could always come on here and tell us something positive about Starmer...I'm presuming you listened to his drivel today ?

https://www.universe.com/events/irish-artists-for-palestine-kneecap-tickets-W2PVRK

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom