Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I was a bit harsh on John and Edwina there to be fair.

But i do genuinely find a Curry more exciting and compelling these days!

Erm. The eating type.

Ahh fück it....

Shoulda quit while you were even just a little ahead fella.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
Does the live-streamed genocide committed by the state on whose behalf the Labour Antisemitism Panic was initiated and weaponised reframe this period for you in any way? I mean, to some of us it was obvious all along that the treatment of Abbott was racist shitbaggery by a demented authoritarian faction hellbent on expunging any prospect of a moderate social-democratic government, but there's suddenly quite a lot of Noticing going on, even by people who were busy shitfunnelling hysterical bullshit at the time...

I suspect you are imputing far too much long-term cohesive strategy to what was short-term opportunism on the part of the right wing.

The biggest winners from the Labour's anti-semitism crisis was the Tory party circa 2019. It wasn't Israel, and even if Labour was currently issuing unmuted criticism of Israel's current war crimes it would not make one jot of difference to Israel's trajectory. The Tories used Corbyn's ineptitude to maximum effect. Naturally, the right-wing client press obliged.

The anti-semitism crisis of the UK Labour party may have been welcomed by the Israelis, but I do not believe it was "initiated on their behalf". It was far more cynical.

If you want some evidence have a look at the key Jewish voices within the Labour party, and what they were saying about Israel in relation to the conflict pre-2019.

Here is Luciana Berger, for example in 2018:

View: https://twitter.com/lucianaberger/status/996342313394823169

Have a look at what Margaret Hodge is saying now about Israeli actions in Gaza. It doesn't fit in with your conspiracy theory.

Abbot was suspended for suggesting Jews do not suffer racism. I find this weird given that I lived in Abbot's constituency when she was first elected, less than a mike from Stamford Hill, where Jewish primary schools were surrounded by barbed wire, such was the frequency of attacks.

For her to say this in the years following a crisis that nearly did for the Labour party is beyond idiotic.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
She suggested no such thing.

Screenshot_20240315_104851_Samsung Internet.jpg

Err...yes she did.

She is saying that Jews suffer prejudice, not racism.

Isn't racism a form of prejudice anyway? In the same way that Islamophobia and Anti-semitism are also forms of prejudice?

Prejudice, according to the OED, is the preconceived opinion of a person/group of people which is not based on reason.

So, Ms Abbott was correct.

multitool

Shaman
Isn't racism a form of prejudice anyway? In the same way that Islamophobia and Anti-semitism are also forms of prejudice?

Prejudice, according to the OED, is the preconceived opinion of a person/group of people which is not based on reason.

So, Ms Abbott was correct.

She says "racism is similar to prejudice", therefore she is saying prejudice and racism are not the same thing. She says jews suffer prejudice but not racism.

It does not matter what the OED says. It matters what Abbot said.

matticus

Guru
Isn't racism a form of prejudice anyway?... <snip> ...

... whilst racism is different (although inextricably linked). Broadly, it comes down to:

the unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race
[e.g. thru violence, or employment discrimination]

It's common to conflate the two, especially if it helps form a criticism of someone.

IMO anti-semitism and racism towards black people are closely related but different*. Saying otherwise is classic binary simplification, all too common in these discussions :-/

*I would say this roughly aligns with Abbot's quoted comment.

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It was a thoughtless thing for Abbott to say but she did apologise pretty promptly. What are we now, nearly a year on and still suspended?

Can't understand Hoyle not giving her the chance to speak last week when they were literally discussing something that involved her.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Can't understand Hoyle not giving her the chance to speak last week when they were literally discussing something that involved her.

If she speaks on the subject she'll doubtless talk about how she's been treated by her own party, including the racist abuse of her documented in the Forde report that Starmer has done his best to bury. I presume you watched what they did to the SNP amendment? Why do people go on as if there's a mystery?

Top Bottom