Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
I suspect the open and transparent selection process will enable Starmer to claim there were no underhand tactics.

How many sitting MPs were deselected in favour of momentum candidates last time?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'm slightly concerned we're going to end up with 400 Jared O'Maras.

Lloyd Russell-Moyle been deselected.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
How many sitting MPs were deselected in favour of momentum candidates last time?

Er, roughly none, IIRC. Feel free to name names if I'm mistaken. Many people, me included, called for mandatory reselection, which is just a fancy way of saying that a candidate has to be democratically selected every election. Corbyn never backed it, and now we've just got a legion of briefcase shitheads instead. 👍🏼

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I've Googled it for you...

Changes to make deselection of Labour MPs easier, by lowering the number of branches that have to vote to trigger a contest from 50% to 33%, were passed by a large majority at Labour's 2018 Party Conference.[12] However, the proposal made by a number of CLPs for open selections was not permitted to go to a vote, leading to criticism from Momentum who described the changes as "meager" with "key proposals being watered down".[13]

No Labour MPs were deselected during the leadership of Ed Miliband or the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn.

Well, this is not a great start. And this is before the election.

https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/...ilence-from-the-labour-hopeful-eyeing-up-seat

Just like the Labour leadership, there's no idea about what he stands for, he refuses to talk to potential constituents, refuses to answer questions from the media and his website has now been set to private.

What has he got to hide?

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
I've Googled it for you...

Changes to make deselection of Labour MPs easier, by lowering the number of branches that have to vote to trigger a contest from 50% to 33%, were passed by a large majority at Labour's 2018 Party Conference.[12] However, the proposal made by a number of CLPs for open selections was not permitted to go to a vote, leading to criticism from Momentum who described the changes as "meager" with "key proposals being watered down".[13]

No Labour MPs were deselected during the leadership of Ed Miliband or the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn.

It seems there were some. But my recollection was that it was more.
Keith Vaz deserved to go. But you can see from the article below an outside influence in some of these other cases. So this stuff has been going on in Labour for years. The leadership will shape the party to some extent.
And the Tories are just as bad. They deselected about 20 sitting MPs last time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50319044.amp

It is very telling that nobody here is entertaining the possibility that Abbott is lying...

I think it's pretty clear what happened.

The Party leadership does not want her to stand. There was a plan to let her go quietly based on returning the whip but making clear, albeit in the kind of language an employer might use in a disciplinary process, that any attempt to stand would be vetoed. Probably included the 'bait' of a life peerage too.

Somebody then leaked to the Times (I think it was that paper) that she was banned from standing, blowing the whole thing out of the water and creating the unholy mess we see now.

Popcorn time!!

multitool

Are you f*cking serious?

Of course I am. You are showing your own biases very clearly. Linking to Novara media etc etc, as if they are founts of impartiality :laugh:

Abbott may be telling the truth, the leadership may want her out. Fair enough in my view, these people are an electoral liability, and I don't want another fiasco or any space for Tory attacks. It's weird how people here decry the power of the Tory client media and their unfairness, but at the same time cannot understand the discipline needed the counteract it.

You need to pause for a moment and consider why Abbott and Corbyn were suspended. It's a result of the legacy they created themselves.

multitool

I think it's pretty clear what happened.

The Party leadership does not want her to stand. There was a plan to let her go quietly based on returning the whip but making clear, albeit in the kind of language an employer might use in a disciplinary process, that any attempt to stand would be vetoed. Probably included the 'bait' of a life peerage too.

Somebody then leaked to the Times (I think it was that paper) that she was banned from standing, blowing the whole thing out of the water and creating the unholy mess we see now.

Popcorn time!!

Probably true. I wonder who leaked it to a Tory paper, and why they chose a Tory paper...

Top Bottom