Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru

Because - just IMHO - taking a few thousand quid to give someone a multi-£million pound government contract would be worse than accepting a really nice cup of tea at an embassy meeting.

Or are you so naive to think only in absolutes? Do tell, as I'm genuinely interested, what with lots of people joining you in the "HYPOCRISY!!!!" chant.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Because - just IMHO - taking a few thousand quid to give someone a multi-£million pound government contract would be worse than accepting a really nice cup of tea at an embassy meeting.

Or are you so naive to think only in absolutes? Do tell, as I'm genuinely interested, what with lots of people joining you in the "HYPOCRISY!!!!" chant.

On Tyneside, quite some time ago, there was a bribery and corruption “incident”, Poulson / T Dan Smith were the big names, but, many people were bribed with trivial things. It would not surprise me if similar is happening right now on Teesside. Buying influence is corrosive IMHO, the amounts are secondary.

matticus

Guru
On Tyneside, quite some time ago, there was a bribery and corruption “incident”, Poulson / T Dan Smith were the big names, but, many people were bribed with trivial things. It would not surprise me if similar is happening right now on Teesside. Buying influence is corrosive IMHO, the amounts are secondary.

Twaddle. Get out in the real world!

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Have you managed to miss all the shady development dealings Ben Houchen is involved with?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Have you managed to miss all the shady development dealings Ben Houchen is involved with?

Not at all, but, that is big stuff, my point was that I am sure there will be lots of “side hustles” going on by the minions, as well as the mega graft. Corruption breeds corruption is my experience.

Reactions: C R

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

Cups of tea, how quaint.

To get back to what’s actually happening; we’re talking about the gift of ten of thousands of £ worth of clothing from a donor who was subsequently granted a Downing Street pass for several weeks.

So far, the government has refused to explain why he was given this and what his role was at the meetings he attended.

The accommodation, provided by the same guy and valued at >£20,000, was supposedly for Starmer’s son to have somewhere to study for his exams. Those exams ran from 9 May until 19 June, yet the Starmer family was there from 29 May until 13 July. This ’study break’ started three weeks late and ended nearly a month after the exams had finished, so I don’t buy it.

Labour can’t criticise backhanders for the Tories and then get a pass on doing the same things themselves just because they’re not quite as greedy.

If lots of people are joining me in pointing out the hypocrisy, maybe that’s because they see the current government for what they are.

The mode figure for serial liar Starmer's personal worth seems to be £7.7 million.
Untapped? Snort! If it doesn't count unless it's "on tap" sitting in change in that bowl in the hallway with the car keys, the hearing aid batteries and the widget for opening the gas meter box, then there are no millionaires.

I've seen this £7.7million figure elsewhere but without any illustration, beyond his house being around the £1million mark, as to how it's arrived at.

Can you, or anyone else, provided the actual numbers?

The mayor of New York has just been charged with bribery. The value of these alleged bribes was in the thousands but some are really quite trivial things, like a few nights in a posh Istanbul hotel. It's amazing that rich, successful people will jeopardise their careers, reputation, and future livelihood over relatively small perks. People are quite greedy really.

matticus

Guru
If lots of people are joining me in pointing out the hypocrisy, maybe that’s because they see the current government for what they are.

Ha ha! Millions of people voted Tory, so just maybe some of them would be keen to criticise the current regime? Hmm?!
(I don't think anyone would pretend Starmer is universally adored, not even in his own party).

Do you think the RIght-Wing press know best when judging the morality of politicians??

:biggrin:

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
The mayor of New York has just been charged with bribery. The value of these alleged bribes was in the thousands but some are really quite trivial things, like a few nights in a posh Istanbul hotel. It's amazing that rich, successful people will jeopardise their careers, reputation, and future livelihood over relatively small perks. People are quite greedy really.

I suppose some of it is down to the nature of the perk; if it takes the form of some pampering, or ego-stroking, then it's much more tempting.
Whereas saying "Here's a couple of grand, can you see my application gets approved Mate?" just moves things into bargaining mode. Not so clever!

monkers

Legendary Member
Hasn’t taken long to start back tracking Treasury reconsidering Labour plan for non-dom tax status https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c04pe3653k7o

I wonder which donor(s) were non-doms?

Apparently from what I've Alli isn't. However he is a director a company based in the British Virgin Island, but does not receive income from it. Also 'apparently' he might receive payment if the company makes an acquisition; but if he does receive income he'll be paying tax in the UK.

Seems it's hard to pin a tail on the donkey in this case.

matticus

Guru
That view is based on living and working in the real world, including some countries where corruption is endemic. But, I am sure you know better.
Where I know better is seeing that this is nothing to do with judging some declared gifts to a PM as evidence of a thoroughly corrupt, morality-free shell of a man.
You're just throwing around virtue-laden statements to grab the moral high ground; it's just twaddle!

p.s.
Where does "endemic" begin? Gotta number for that? How do you know any country is worse than - say - ours?

Top Bottom