Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
I've seen this £7.7million figure elsewhere but without any illustration, beyond his house being around the £1million mark, as to how it's arrived at.
Yes, I think the calculation goes like this:-
  • His house has got to be worth 2 million according to the Standard
  • He's been on 150k a year for 4 years
  • He's got that parcel of seven acres of land that he inherited which could be worth up to £10 million according to an estate agent the Daily Fail asked cos it's in surrey (let's ignore the fact that he sold it in 2023 for £320,000 because it cannot be developed due to being green belt)
  • Last year he declared £100k of tax on £404k of income
  • He sold that field he bought for his parents to rescue donkeys on
  • Let's just make up a figure then - how does £7.7 million sound?
All in all, he has a high paying job, owns his own house and probably isn't struggling to pay the bills. He could almost certainly have afforded to buy his own suits and spectacles too.

He's clearly just a grifter willing to accept gifts, not like St Rishi of Sunak who was so rich he never accepted a single gift or donation. For example he would never have countenanced a £5m donation from the the man who said "Diane Abbott should be shot" - he wouldn't need to as he has that sort of cash in a bowl in the hallway. He certainly wouldn't have accepted regular donations of helicopter flights for example. And in 2019 he wouldn't have needed to accept donations and gifts worth £658,000 - that would be absurd for someone was wealthy as he is. In fact only 12 mps took more money in the last parliament than Sunak despite Sunak being by far the most wealthy member of parliament. I bet you can guess who was in the number 1 spot?

go on..

Phwaaaaarrrr! - It's the Bozminator - £6.4mil of freebies !!

And of course most Conservative MPs are far more wealthy than Labour MPs. So why did they claim £133.4 million of donations and gifts from 876 different sources?

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
Telegraph right on the case again:

Streeting’s £20k fundraiser with McKellen hosted at Lord Alli penthouse
Health Secretary is the third Cabinet minister to have used property owned by donor in Starmer gifts row

icowden

Legendary Member
Telegraph right on the case again:

Blimey - wait until they find out how much Yoginvest Ltd gave to the Tories, not to mention the Phoenix partnership. The Harry Walker Agency gave £2.4 million to Bozza alone.

If anything the Labour party really need lessons on how to do it properly.

I suppose some of it is down to the nature of the perk; if it takes the form of some pampering, or ego-stroking, then it's much more tempting.
Whereas saying "Here's a couple of grand, can you see my application gets approved Mate?" just moves things into bargaining mode. Not so clever!

Yes, I think they just see being given nice things as a perk of the job. There's no such thing as a free lunch though.

monkers

Legendary Member
Yes, I think the calculation goes like this:-
  • His house has got to be worth 2 million according to the Standard
  • He's been on 150k a year for 4 years
  • He's got that parcel of seven acres of land that he inherited which could be worth up to £10 million according to an estate agent the Daily Fail asked cos it's in surrey (let's ignore the fact that he sold it in 2023 for £320,000 because it cannot be developed due to being green belt)
  • Last year he declared £100k of tax on £404k of income
  • He sold that field he bought for his parents to rescue donkeys on
  • Let's just make up a figure then - how does £7.7 million sound?
All in all, he has a high paying job, owns his own house and probably isn't struggling to pay the bills. He could almost certainly have afforded to buy his own suits and spectacles too.

He's clearly just a grifter willing to accept gifts, not like St Rishi of Sunak who was so rich he never accepted a single gift or donation. For example he would never have countenanced a £5m donation from the the man who said "Diane Abbott should be shot" - he wouldn't need to as he has that sort of cash in a bowl in the hallway. He certainly wouldn't have accepted regular donations of helicopter flights for example. And in 2019 he wouldn't have needed to accept donations and gifts worth £658,000 - that would be absurd for someone was wealthy as he is. In fact only 12 mps took more money in the last parliament than Sunak despite Sunak being by far the most wealthy member of parliament. I bet you can guess who was in the number 1 spot?

go on..

Phwaaaaarrrr! - It's the Bozminator - £6.4mil of freebies !!

And of course most Conservative MPs are far more wealthy than Labour MPs. So why did they claim £133.4 million of donations and gifts from 876 different sources?
Good digging.

I have a suspicion that to get to more than value of his house and a few bits of other stuff you need to include the value of his pensions as (a) DPP and (b) accrued as MP etc since 2015.

While it would indeed cost a fortune to buy pensions that pay what those will he can no more sell them or convert them to yachts than I can mine from 35years in the Civil Service.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes. Starmer's only had power for what 8 weeks? I suggest we give him a chance to enact some policy and to see the result of it before we condemn the chap outright. At the moment all we have is petty nonsense like late declaration of expenses.

The problem is, given time, he may become more adept at guzzling

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Blimey - wait until they find out how much Yoginvest Ltd gave to the Tories, not to mention the Phoenix partnership. The Harry Walker Agency gave £2.4 million to Bozza alone.

If anything the Labour party really need lessons on how to do it properly.

I am sure they will learn pretty quickly, given progress todate

Top Bottom