Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I don't know why you struggle to understand this.

Because Orwell?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Might make you proud, does nothing for me personally.

Seems a bit churlish to leave out the 100 or so Independent Schools in Scotland, I am sure they do their bit.

Are you relating this back in any way to that interview from Starmer?

winjim

Don’t do twitter, so, don’t follow any twitter links.

Well everything I've posted on this thread today is very obviously directly related to what Starmer said in that interview so I can't fathom why you've got involved if you're not even going to watch it.

D

Deleted member 49

I've not really been paying much attention to Starmer but also been willing to cut him a lot of slack since NotTory > Tory, and as I said before a dead badger would do a better job than this current lot, but what on Earth was that?

There are many things wrong there but does he really think that anyone who has issues with the English public school system somehow isn't patriotic enough?
Hold that thought ...
Starmer: "Whatever your race or belief, your dreams can come true."

Last edited by a moderator:

winjim

Hold that thought ...
Starmer: "Whatever your race or belief, your dreams can come true."

I have a dream that my children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the contents of their bank account.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Exactly the same could be said of Margaret Thatcher and her becoming the first woman pm

Yes, which is why I would argue that anyone claiming that Thatcher's premiership (or May's, or Patel's tenure at the Home Office) was a 'win for women' should give their head a wobble. It's not a matter of two things being true at once, it's an objection to the dominant framing, which gives a progressive gloss to a pernicious government, especially as articulated by an opposition leader who is implicated in endemic racism in his own party hierarchy, stood as an establishment bulwark against a more progressive woman candidate and a woman of Indian heritage, and can't give a straight answer to a simple question about whether he has censored a British Indian MP. Anyway, I guarantee that if Clive Lewis or Dawn Butler ever get a(nother) shot at the leadership, you won't hear another whisper from Starmer about what a great milestone it is.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes, which is why I would argue that anyone claiming that Thatcher's premiership (or May's, or Patel's tenure at the Home Office) was a 'win for women' should give their head a wobble. It's not a matter of two things being true at once, it's an objection to the dominant framing, which gives a progressive gloss to a pernicious government, especially as articulated by an opposition leader who is implicated in endemic racism in his own party hierarchy, stood as an establishment bulwark against a more progressive woman candidate and a woman of Indian heritage, and can't give a straight answer to a simple question about whether he has censored a British Indian MP. Anyway, I guarantee that if Clive Lewis or Dawn Butler ever get a(nother) shot at the leadership, you won't hear another whisper from Starmer about what a great milestone it is.

I think Starmer would have the decency to acknowledge that having a black, Asian, and/or female leader of the Labour Party would be a significant achievement. But again, you seem blind to the difference between noting an achievement and thinking that particular person is/should represent the interests of their ethnic group, and if they don't it isn't an achievement.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much. You're not going to have to decide whether or not to congratulate the first black or Asian Labour prime minister for a while. You won't have to decide if they are the wrong sort of black person anytime soon.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

"Endemic" racism could not have started in Starmer's relatively short leadership, so must have already been there but not dealt with by his predecessor(s).

I thought Clive Lewis was going to go far, but he never got enough votes to get into the last leadership race, possibly because of some controversial episodes at a Labour conference, possibly for other reasons, while Dawn Butler never entered the leadership contest and rose without trace to come last in the deputy leadership election. Lewis may get another chance, but Butler has as much chance as Corbyn of being Labour's first woman/black leader.

Top Bottom