Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's government and opposition's job to plan for this stuff. If, for example, a pandemic is inevitable but you can't predict the timing then you plan for it to potentially happen at any time.

Or you roll the dice and hope it won't happen before the next election...

multitool

Shaman
Is it the opposition's job? Surely it is the job of the civil service, directed by ministers. The role of opposition is to force scrutiny, to oppose as necessary, but primarily to offer an alternative attractive enough to get elected. Most of that involved reforming his own party.

I'm probably not a million miles away from you, here. But there is an awkward confluence of political truth and political expediency.

winjim

OK let's pretend he knew nothing about the inevitability of a pandemic and that gets left to the civil service. In that case he needs to STFU about other aspects of medicine such as internal bleeding and dermatology because I don't trust him to know anything about those either.

On that particular matter, there may be some circumstances where self referral would be appropriate, but IMO the way to announce it would be to say you would look into it and see if you could liaise with the Royal College of GPs, rather than by trying to give specific examples and make yourself look a bit silly.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I am still smiling at the thought of political truth.

When it comes to politicians there is political expediency, political pragmatism, political obfuscation and political ideology/dogma but  never political truth...unless it's like Prince Harry's version of " my truth".

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
In that case he needs to STFU about other aspects of medicine such as internal bleeding and dermatology because I don't trust him to know anything about those either.

It might be my fault, but I haven't heard an expansive answer from him yet on self-referrals. If you happen upon one, post a link please.

multitool

Shaman
I am still smiling at the thought of political truth.

Just as politics is not the preserve of politicians, neither is 'political truth'.

When it comes to politicians there is political expediency, political pragmatism, political obfuscation and political ideology/dogma but  never political truth...unless it's like Prince Harry's version of " my truth".

I'm not quite as cynical as you, and I think it depends where you look. Soundbite politics? Unlikely to get truth. You'll get vapid three word slogans. If you go where politics is treated as a branch of the entertainment industry (QT etc) then unlikely. Committee level? Yes.

It's always interesting to hear from retired politicians who are free from the constraints of active party politics. You realise that they are fully aware of the truth, often sympathetic to their critics, but hamstrung by having a narrow range of options, all of which are sh1t.

winjim

It might be my fault, but I haven't heard an expansive answer from him yet on self-referrals. If you happen upon one, post a link please.

I don't know about expansive but Starmer has brought up back pain and internal bleeding, and Streeting dermatology.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Who said anything about not wanting power...it's more what's the point if it's more of the same.
To he fair he did have some "genius" moments this morning.Who needs a GP when you can just Google your own symptoms.

View: https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1614560362157805568?t=0Poom_2oC-M9rtpFrDp8wQ&s=19

This "solution" reminds me of Traffic Planning. We have a bottleneck, let's make some "improvements' and move the Bottleneck down the road.

In this instance, let us move the bottleneck from the GP Surgery, to the Consultants Consulting Room.

He clearly has no idea of how "ordinary" people think, or, behave, in general.

A good example of why Politicians should be kept well away from the Health Service.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
I don't know about expansive but Starmer has brought up back pain and internal bleeding, and Streeting dermatology.

Well, again. Rather than take a soundbite, critique it, add a million different unintended interpretations and watch it explode on social media amongst the squawking classes, I'll wait and see if there is meat on the bones of this.

Top Bottom