The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
The good news is it's not Covid. Less good is that I have to drag myself to Exeter to set riders off on my 400. Perhaps I'll feel better tomorrow.

Beebo

Veteran
Taken from Paul Merton’s interview in the Metro this morning.

BBE6850D-69D5-4338-BF4A-6B87CD97B06C.jpeg

D

Deleted member 121

This is an astonishing story. Four children survive 40 days until rescue after a fatal plane crash in the Amazon. Heartbreaking but uplifting too. What amazing kids, especially the older one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65864158.amp

Even more incredible that a young teen and a slightly younger child kept alive a four and a one year old in absolutely appalling circumstances when they must have been frightened themselves. Unbelievable case of survival. Hopefully they are all well looked after.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
This is a lovely story about the actress Bella Emberg, replying to a fan letter and keeping up the correspondence.

View: https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1667827561886363649

A schoolfriend wrote to JJ Burnell of The Stranglers. He replied with a 6 page letter of in scrawly writing, telling her about bands to listen to and books to read on politics. They were already quite famous so it was pretty impressive that he took the time.

Ian H

Guru
I ran my 600 over the weekend, hired a hall in Pangbourne as a sleep-stop. A rider came in looking rather downhearted. His Paris-Brest-Paris qualifier was in doubt. His own fault, starting with a nearly worn-out tyre. It was through to the carcass and nearly through the carcass. He'd put a boot in which had failed, then stuck gaffer tape over the hole, which had got him to the hall. It was the small hours of Sunday morning.
I found a thick but soft plastic wallet (of the kind that certain medical goods come in), cut a suitably-sized patch, and inserted it under the hole. He inflated the tyre and it seemed to hold okay. We found a Halfords near the route 100km further on, which opened at 10. He got some sleep and set off early.

We packed up the control that morning, loaded up and set off in different directions. I got a few hours sleep at home then went to see how the finish was going. Not long before closing time our man turned up, looking pleased, his bike shod with a pair of shiny Halfords tyres. He celebrated by lighting a roll-up.

Top Bottom