The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

How would you ever know.??

While you're here, can you tell us all about the currently existing safe legal routes to the UK for asylum seekers please @shep??

Ms Braverman was struggling to answer that question the other day, perhaps you could point her in the right direction. >>>

The same way as you don't know either, as for 'safe routes ' stay on the mainland and seek asylum there.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The same way as you don't know either, as for 'safe routes ' stay on the mainland and seek asylum there.

Difference is I didn't claim to know how they came here.

So our signed up to obligations to refugees and asylum seekers should all be torn up* because we live on an island - got it.

*Along with our (somewhat shonky) reputation as a decent, humane, globally participatory country, which tries to fulfils it's obligations to fellow humans in peril.

D

Deleted member 28

Difference is I didn't claim to know how they came here.

So our signed up to obligations to refugees and asylum seekers should all be torn up* because we live on an island - got it.

*Along with our (somewhat shonky) reputation as a decent, humane, globally participatory country, which tries to fulfils it's obligations to fellow humans in peril.

Sounds about right, yes.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Sounds about right, yes.

Nice -

- makes one proud to be 'British' -
-not.

Anyhow, back to 'The Good News' Thread
(Incorporating Claude n mines holibobs plans)

I've got a farmer moot thingy just west of Carmarthen in September, so I was planning to make a bit of a ten day(ish) trip out of it.

Train it to Brizzle then immigrate by fiendish bicyclette, and tent, to Welsh Walesland via routes as yet undisclosed. 🎠

Will be back later for local fine route intel.. 👍🏼

Best get on with finishing the (culturally appropriate in this case) leek planting 🌱🌱🚜🌱🌱🌱🌱

I know these 🙄 are dicots, and leeks are monocots - but one does ones best .

Ian H

Legendary Member
I doubt many in that photo came over here illegally.

No-one has come over here illegally. There's no law against arriving in this country. Here's the official guidance for asylum seekers https://www.gov.uk/claim-asylum but note that the claim there that claims will be processed within 6 months is fiction. Claims are currently taking up to 3yrs. That is deliberate.

Here are some figures for asylum numbers and claims https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01403/

Decisions and refusals

• The percentage of asylum applicants refused at initial decision reached its highest point at 88% in 2004. Since then, the refusal rate has been falling overall and was at 24% in 2022, its lowest point since 1990.
  • Between 2004 to 2021, around three-quarters of applicants refused asylum at initial decision lodged an appeal and almost one third of those appeals were allowed.

It strikes me that for all the thousands that come here to seek asylum, it's only the bad minority that we are told about through the media. e.g. I've seen videos online of a group of immigrants in Ireland beating up a man. And interviews with others who are preying on younger girls. But we never hear about the other 99% who might be getting jobs and contributing to society. That's always been the way though hasn't it

D

Deleted member 159

There's no law against arriving in this country
quick search say it is
Entry without leave is a breach of section 3(1)(a) and therefore constitutes illegal entry as defined by section 33(1) of the Immigration Act 1971 (as amended by the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act)

2023 illegal immigration bill will soon see royal ascent.

D

Deleted member 159

It strikes me that for all the thousands that come here to seek asylum, it's only the bad minority that we are told about through the media. e.g. I've seen videos online of a group of immigrants in Ireland beating up a man. And interviews with others who are preying on younger girls. But we never hear about the other 99% who might be getting jobs and contributing to society. That's always been the way though hasn't it

Economic migrants, the vast majority

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

We do hear about them, but there's a certain 'sort' who just doesn't want to listen.

We could fill this thread up with 'Brilliant things that immigrants to this country have done' - In fact maybe we should - but there would still be some who wouldn't want to know - because that would upset their prejudices.

And of course, none of the 'indigenous' population here, ever beats up anyone else, nor preys on young girls.

Nor do they ever go abroad and do the same in other people countries.

It's almost as if those are problems with humanity the world over - that need sorting for sure..
But ask anyone to tackle the root and pretty much universal causes of violence, and predation on women..

"Oh no, not our problem" all of a sudden 🙄

Top Bottom