The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
And who are these crooked lawyers? Another figment of the electoral campaign?

Unless the "people smugglers" with the small boats, are in fact charities, it would appear, there is money to be made out of these unfortunate people's plight, where there is money to be made, there will almost certainly be criminality and/or corruption, so, not unreasonable to think there may be some law outfits getting their nose in the trough. No idea what the scale of it may be, but, the only way to find out is to investigate. That doesn't mean they (Government) should not get stuck in to reducing the backlog of applications.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
so, not unreasonable to think there may be some law outfits getting their nose in the trough.

Are we 'thinking' things into existence now?

Let's be honest, this isn't going to be a widespread practice is it. Maybe there's a few lawyers helping submit bogus applications, but in the grand scheme of things it will be irrelevant and a mere Tory flannel pretending to do something, much like the performative cruelty of the prison barge.

Something all the gammon can get behind.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Are we 'thinking' things into existence now?

Let's be honest, this isn't going to be a widespread practice is it.
Maybe there's a few lawyers helping submit bogus applications, but in the grand scheme of things it will be irrelevant and a mere Tory flannel pretending to do something, much like the performative cruelty of the prison barge.

Something all the gammon can get behind.

I don't know, are you?

I would hope not.

But, as I said, it would not be surprising if there were some noses in the trough, and, this is not good for the poor unfortunate asylum seekers/immigrants, who, are also being ripped off.

Like I said, elsewhere, no reason why the application backlog AND the potential crooked law firms cannot BOTH be tackled, it is possible to do two things at once. I am no expert, but, I would have thought different resources would be required for each task, so, not really a conflict.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Braverman is attacking "crooked" lawyers, not all lawyers . There is a huge difference.

A distinction that you, a lawyer, are able to discern.

However, it’s the headline comment that the less perceptive Tory fanbase will cling on to; all they will see, and repeat, is, “Crackdown on crooked immigration lawyers”. They will read it and repost it as if it’s applicable to all immigration lawyers. They will see it as validation of their already low opinion of *all* immigration lawyers.

The Home Secretary knows this.

BoldonLad

Criminality, corruption, noses in troughs, rip offs, yachts..
Is this thread a coded, aslant glance at Baroness Mone?

If the cap fits, then wear it ;)

BoldonLad

A distinction that you, a lawyer, are able to discern.

However, it’s the headline comment that the less perceptive Tory fanbase will cling on to; all they will see, and repeat, is, “Crackdown on crooked immigration lawyers”. They will read it and repost it as if it’s applicable to all immigration lawyers. They will see it as validation of their already low opinion of *all* immigration lawyers.

The Home Secretary knows this.

Is such lack of perception limited to Tories, or, does it afflict all Political persuasions?

Reactions: C R

CXRAndy

Veteran

Hand tied by the EU since blair opened the flood gates. Now independent, UK can put in legislation to combat.- still thwarted by legal delays and aided by criminal acting lawyers from lefty leaning idols.

Latest stunt, frightened of water despite jumping into tiny dingy and sailing across the most dangerous shipping lane :laugh:

I understand these who tried this, are now having all assistance removed today, no more hand outs

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Inevitably, it's difficult to find an unbiased report as to why people might refuse. There was however a bit on the World Tonight yesterday.

Much more like a prison than HMG would have us believe was the key message.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Much more like a prison than HMG would have us believe was the key message.

Yet these are same accommodations that oil rig workers use-seem quite happy for them to occupy.

I bet they change their minds when faced with a wind swept island in the middle of the Atlantic

Top Bottom