Twitter under Musk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Anybody seen @jowwy recently?

It would be interesting to see if it really works, yes there are many projects that work on the basis of donations of whatever fancy name they have for it. But on the last days of Twitter before Musk wokes became so woke, that they started attacking their fellow wokes for not being woke enough, i can inagine that would lead to an implosion of said mastodon't group like thingly's having said that i haven took the time to look deeper into Mastodont mainly because i don't really like social media that much.
I’m sure I would fully endorse this post if only I had a farking clue what it meant.

stowie

Well not in it's current form it would have taken them longer to get where they are now. Or it would have send them looking elsewhere.

The NASA contracts allow a return on development work which otherwise would take decades (or never) to return cash. Starlink would be the closest activity to Return on Investment and SpaceX would become another LEO company.

Think it's better then the position they where in in the think it was 2000's somewhere around that area where they needed to try and source 8086 processors because part of their equipment would only run on that.

If this is true it is really leaving out a lot of the story. Space, Avionics and to some extent automotive products use older technology. For very good reason.

Space development has a very high emphasis on reliability. If something goes wrong once launched, the chances that a very expensive product becomes scrap floating around Earth is high. Equally, most people would prefer flying in a plane where the reliability has been more rigorous than the average smart phone.

This has some consequences. It is preferred for things like semiconductor chips and software tools to have some pedigree - usage in the field. Indeed for some certification the tool-flow needs and devices need to have been in full production for more than 3 years. So these industries tend to be behind the curve with latest devices - at least for safety critical devices. Software development is very, very expensive - safety criticality and reliability means a lot of time spent on testing and validation. So generally people want to reuse where at all possible. Hence old code running on old processors.

Another consequence of space is due to physics. Higher up in the atmosphere, the more cosmic radiation can disrupt semiconductors. Radiation hardened devices are often used, which adds $$$$$ and significantly restricts choice of semiconductor. In the past, very expensive space grade components were used on pretty much all the design, as I undestand these days the system is divided up into areas that are safety critical and not so safety critical where the rules are not the same. Plus lots of techniques to validate and correct errors induced by things like cosmic rays.

I agree with you on that one, especially since the Us already has a ''big goverment'' however i think Musk's big govement is referring to something else think that is reffering to social services, health care systems etc. as one of the prime arguments against that is always that it would make the goverment to big etc.

This sort of makes it even worse. Musk's "big government" isn't the government giving his companies fat grants and contracts, that is fine. But if the government tries to help out citizens - that is unacceptable! Besides, I would like to see Musk - or any company - manage with a government that didn't provide things like transport infrastructure, healthcare, education, law enforcement for the citizens. It suits their narrative to decry "big nanny-state government" but the likes of Musk would not get rich in a system that didn't have it.

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ove-accounts-promoting-other-social-platforms

'Twitter has announced that it will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links to them or usernames featured on them.
The platform said the move would affect content from numerous social media websites, including Meta Platforms’ Facebook and Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post, but would allow cross-content posting.
Close-up shot of Elon Musk's face with
However, video platform TikTok, owned by China’s ByteDance Ltd, was not included in the list.'

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ove-accounts-promoting-other-social-platforms

'Twitter has announced that it will remove accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social platforms and content that contains links to them or usernames featured on them.
The platform said the move would affect content from numerous social media websites, including Meta Platforms’ Facebook and Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr and Post, but would allow cross-content posting.
However, video platform TikTok, owned by China’s ByteDance Ltd, was not included in the list.'

Oh dear.

https://twitter.com/CycleChat?t=zSYj6URyyxinrcOBTduAYw&s=09

albion

Guru
Cyclechat will be fine. Though I would not rule out mandatory fees for anything resembling a business in the future.
Twitter must be the main place for announcements so money us to be made there. A none followers fee or something such like.

Edit - it seems links will be classed as ads so you simply have to pay to keep them.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

It looks like this was brought on by Musk's spoiled child megalomanic management when users started referring to (and using) Mastodon as a contingency plan. However, the French information minister stated (tweeted, obviously) that Musk's edict was in violation of European law and would make twitter no longer a social media platform and henceforth simply a media organisation, with different rules and liabilities for lies and libels. In practical terms, a fine of 20% of twitter's annual income. Musk, of course, is working on a plan to reduce this annual income.

View: https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1604564509884030977

icowden

Legendary Member
Can someone not just give Elon a valium?

If this is true it is really leaving out a lot of the story. Space, Avionics and to some extent automotive products use older technology. For very good reason.

Space development has a very high emphasis on reliability. If something goes wrong once launched, the chances that a very expensive product becomes scrap floating around Earth is high. Equally, most people would prefer flying in a plane where the reliability has been more rigorous than the average smart phone.
The whole story was that the discovery space shuttle ran much longer than they originally anticipated, having been retired only in 2012.

This sort of makes it even worse. Musk's "big government" isn't the government giving his companies fat grants and contracts, that is fine. But if the government tries to help out citizens - that is unacceptable! Besides, I would like to see Musk - or any company - manage with a government that didn't provide things like transport infrastructure, healthcare, education, law enforcement for the citizens. It suits their narrative to decry "big nanny-state government" but the likes of Musk would not get rich in a system that didn't have it.
It does makes it even worse, but on the other hand you also need to look at it at other perspectives, as much as Musk wants to claim he is all ''self made'' he has an significant debts by persons who are more likely to share the healthcare is bad, people should fend for themselves narrative. (alltough in contrary to what you write they always root for strong police and miltary)
I agree that is is an bad narrative, but it is one of the leading ones in the U.S. unfortnually.
Chaning that takes more then a Musk. Bernie Sanders for example, there are some excellent podcast with Joe Rogan in which he explains how such an system could and would work for the us. But he is not really the vote magnet so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Top Bottom