USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Trump will fix democracy once and for all. Once he is elected the plebs won't need to bother their noggin with electoral decisions any more:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/27/trump-speech-no-need-to-vote-future

I've just been reading that, which reminded me of a question that's been going through my mind for a while:

Does the NATO treaty have anything to say about what would happen if one of its own members became the threat that it was set up to protect against? (According to Chat GPT, no)

And how interdependent are the security systems? Can we just stop sharing sensitive information at the drop of a hat?

C R

Über Member
I've just been reading that, which reminded me of a question that's been going through my mind for a while:

Does the NATO treaty have anything to say about what would happen if one of its own members became the threat that it was set up to protect against? (According to Chat GPT, no)

And how interdependent are the security systems? Can we just stop sharing sensitive information at the drop of a hat?

The answer is most likely no in both counts. Even if the rest of NATO members decided to expel the US, the dependence on US technology which needs US permission to be used makes things very tricky.

albion

Guru
The answer is most likely no in both counts. Even if the rest of NATO members decided to expel the US, the dependence on US technology which needs US permission to be used makes things very tricky.

I feel fairly strongly Trump will leave Nato. He will 'follow the money' to near extinction. More likely for Europe than the US, at least initially.

C R

Über Member
I feel fairly strongly Trump will leave Nato. He will 'follow the money' to near extinction. More likely for Europe than the US, at least initially.

What's the Chinese curse? May you live in interesting times?

ebikeerwidnes

Trump will fix democracy once and for all. Once he is elected the plebs won't need to bother their noggin with electoral decisions any more:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/27/trump-speech-no-need-to-vote-future

I think he will say that he just meant that he will make sur e that only people that "proper" Christians approve of will be able to be stand
so they won't have to vote for a "proper Christian" in order for "someone else" might get in

or that they will put in laws that prevent any new laws being made that are not "Proper Christian" laws and stack teh Supreme Court so any attempt to change it will be rejected

so they won;t HAVE to vote

however, in reality he will find - accidentally, of course - that the only way to do this is to decalre it an emergency for the "Proper USA" and abandon the election after 4 years
then appoint his successor - probably Ivanka - or Eric - so that the "proper USA" is properly protected

I hate to think what his design for his tomb looks like!
probably something like the Palace of Versailles but more gaudy and less tasteful - but bigger with more gold

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
I think he will say that he just meant that he will make sur e that only people that "proper" Christians approve of will be able to be stand
so they won't have to vote for a "proper Christian" in order for "someone else" might get in
It absolutely beggars belief that any Christian would see anything Christian in Donald Trump at all. He's quite literally the opposite of Christian.

Bazzer

It absolutely beggars belief that any Christian would see anything Christian in Donald Trump at all. He's quite literally the opposite of Christian.
Unfortunately, there appear to be a lot of Christians in America who, contrary to what the founding fathers intended, consider America was founded as a Christian nation.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
I just took Trump to mean that he would sort things out so well that a Republican vote would be the obvious vote to make next time. Didn't happen last time, so seems unlikely should he get in again. Funnily enough Biden is more Christian-y than Trump in his overt beliefs but to his credit (mostly) doesn't play the Catholic card too much.

ebikeerwidnes

Yes - clearly - but that is just from my point of view

When you factor in the cult of some of the "Christian" preachers that push the prosperity concept then after that nothing is off limits

One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen was a massively rich preacher on a TV show during the pandemic
So a lot of his "flock" were struggling and unable to work or earn money at all

the interviewer asked him if it was OK for them to stop paying their "tithe" every month of they needed the money for food etc

He went totally ape - shouting that they MUST keep on tithing - this was far far more important than ANYTHIG else
This MUST be done no matter what

I mean - WTAF??
AT that point he should working out ways of using his money to GIVE food and essential out to people
but instead his main worry is keeping his income stream

disgusting creature

but a "Good American Christian"

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I would have suggested that the rabid 'Right/White Evangelical Christian vote' is a much smaller number than we imagine, BUT, have a loud voice, are organised and have a large visible presence. Clearly a major factor in US politics as is the highly vocal and influential Jewish diaspora who only account for 2% of the religious.
Almost a quarter of Americans are not associated with any organised religion.

Just looking for an overview of religion in the USA. Quick Wiki grab....

1722246985770.png

The most popular religion in the U.S. is Christianity, comprising the majority of the population (73.7% of adults in 2016), with the majority of American Christians belonging to a Protestant denomination or a Protestant offshoot (such as Mormonism or the Jehovah's Witnesses).[56] According to the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies newsletter published March 2017, based on data from 2010, Christians were the largest religious population in all 3,143 counties in the country.[57] Roughly 48.9% of Americans are Protestants, 23.0% are Catholics, 1.8% are Mormons (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).[56] Christianity was introduced during the period of European colonization. The United States has the world's largest Christian population.[58][59]

According to membership statistics from current reports and official web sites, the five largest Christian denominations are:

The Southern Baptist Convention, with over 13 million adherents, is the largest of more than 200[65] distinctly named Protestant denominations.[66] In 2007, members of evangelical churches comprised 26% of the American population, while another 18% belonged to mainline Protestant churches, and 7% belonged to historically black churches.[67]

A 2015 study estimates some 450,000 Christian believers from a Muslim background in the country, most of them belonging to some form of Protestantism.[68] In 2010 there were approximately 180,000 Arab Americans and about 130,000 Iranian Americans who converted from Islam to Christianity. Dudley Woodbury, a Fulbright scholar of Islam, estimates that 20,000 Muslims convert to Christianity annually in the United States.[69]

However, this gives further granularity into religion and politics:

1722247728375.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...s-groups-and-religiously-unaffiliated-voters/

I think now I see the scale of the problem for the Democrats!

ebikeerwidnes

I would have suggested that the rabid 'Right/White Evangelical Christian vote' is a much smaller number than we imagine, BUT, have a loud voice, are organised and have a large visible presence. Clearly a major factor in US politics as is the highly vocal and influential Jewish diaspora who only account for 2% of the religious.
Almost a quarter of Americans are not associated with any organised religion.

Just looking for an overview of religion in the USA. Quick Wiki grab....

View attachment 6466
The most popular religion in the U.S. is Christianity, comprising the majority of the population (73.7% of adults in 2016), with the majority of American Christians belonging to a Protestant denomination or a Protestant offshoot (such as Mormonism or the Jehovah's Witnesses).[56] According to the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies newsletter published March 2017, based on data from 2010, Christians were the largest religious population in all 3,143 counties in the country.[57] Roughly 48.9% of Americans are Protestants, 23.0% are Catholics, 1.8% are Mormons (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).[56] Christianity was introduced during the period of European colonization. The United States has the world's largest Christian population.[58][59]

According to membership statistics from current reports and official web sites, the five largest Christian denominations are:

The Southern Baptist Convention, with over 13 million adherents, is the largest of more than 200[65] distinctly named Protestant denominations.[66] In 2007, members of evangelical churches comprised 26% of the American population, while another 18% belonged to mainline Protestant churches, and 7% belonged to historically black churches.[67]

A 2015 study estimates some 450,000 Christian believers from a Muslim background in the country, most of them belonging to some form of Protestantism.[68] In 2010 there were approximately 180,000 Arab Americans and about 130,000 Iranian Americans who converted from Islam to Christianity. Dudley Woodbury, a Fulbright scholar of Islam, estimates that 20,000 Muslims convert to Christianity annually in the United States.[69]

However, this gives further granularity into religion and politics:

View attachment 6467
https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...s-groups-and-religiously-unaffiliated-voters/

I think now I see the scale of the problem for the Democrats!

Interesting

ALl sorts of thought - must go to the website because th e number matter - as said in the notes

weird difference between Hispanic Protestants and Hispanic Catholics

does appear - at first sight - to imply that church influence is a big factor

but why an honest priest/vicar/preacher/other would think trump was a good person to vote for is beyond me!!!

Top Bottom