USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
You are right, everything has gone bust, he is living as a hobo, in an abandoned railway boxcar. ;)
One of the advantages of being super-rich is that you can continue being super-rich just by saying you are super-rich. As long as you are a useful idiot to someone and don't care where the money came from, you get bankrolled.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
One of the advantages of being super-rich is that you can continue being super-rich just by saying you are super-rich. As long as you are a useful idiot to someone and don't care where the money came from, you get bankrolled.

I get that, I don't see how that precludes him being clever, it may well preclude him from being a decent human being however.

icowden

Legendary Member
I get that, I don't see how that precludes him being clever, it may well preclude him from being a decent human being however.
A clever person makes money instead of losing it. A clever person doesn't alienate every lawyer in the country by failing to pay them. A clever person doesn't expose their business dealings in a way that could mean prison. A clever person doesn't just use name calling as their election campaign. They have a plan, facts and figures, their staff don't have to work out how to get them in the best mood to sign a document and treat them like a toddler.

BoldonLad

He is shrewd

Cunning is the word I would have used, but, shrewd will do.

multitool

Cunning is the word I would have used, but, shrewd will do.

I think when you consider that to mount a challenge for the Presidency requires a huge, effective team behind you and a powerful strategy, it is not possible to think that Trump does not possess significant skills and organisational abilities.

He may be a PoS, but he is a clever PoS, and up to now it has worked well for him.

D

Deleted member 121

I think his intellectual prowess is largely irrelevant. He has the coin to hire the best advisors, strategists, policy makers, speech writers and campaigners around. I don't think that is a revelation. Football teams spend more and more money to buy the best players, managers and coaches as do mega-corporations who head hunt the industry talent often off of their rivals such as Apple/Samsung and Intel/AMD etc...

BoldonLad

I think when you consider that to mount a challenge for the Presidency requires a huge, effective team behind you and a powerful strategy, it is not possible to think that Trump does not possess significant skills and organisational abilities.

He may be a PoS, but he is a clever PoS, and up to now it has worked well for him.

My sentiments exactly.

There appears, in some quarters, to assume that to be clever, you must also be likeable. Sadly, the two are not connected IMHO.

multitool

I think his intellectual prowess is largely irrelevant. He has the coin to hire the best advisors, strategists, policy makers, speech writers and campaigners around. I don't think that is a revelation. Football teams spend more and more money to buy the best players, managers and coaches as do mega-corporations who head hunt the industry talent often off of their rivals such as Apple/Samsung and Intel/AMD etc...

Except that he has to front it all, and he is remarkably adept at pressing people's buttons, and appealing to certain demographics' worst instincts.

If you are a Trump critic, you have to bear in mind that when Trump speaks, he is not speaking to you. He is speaking to the susceptible, and what may appear as a meaningless word salad to his critics, means something entirely different to his target audience. And indeed, the response of his critics is unwillingly co-opted into his own armoury.

It might be immoral, and dishonest to its core, but it takes a certain skill to pull it off.

icowden

Legendary Member
I think it is. He just points at the toy he wants and says "I want that". He is surrounded by "yes men" who will ensure that he gets it. His father made sure he was surrounded by people who could babysit him and protect him ./ his money. He won't have done any organisation for the Presidential campaign other than to say "i wanna do this", "the people love me so we should do a rally". He does know the right things to say to rabble rouse and get support. That's his only talent - much like his father - he knows how to shmooze.

Top Bottom