USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I met someone from Boston, Mass. last week. They were saying how fed up most people are of both parties. Fed up of Trump, fed up of Biden. People are desperate for a unifying candidate apparently but no-one is emerging who is offering anything different from the lack lustre partisan rhetoric the 2 parties have been promoting for the last few years. Same complaints as here really.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Frank Zappa interviews keep popping-up on my Instagram feed - amazing how prophetic and eloquent he was about the direction of US politics....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I met someone from Boston, Mass. last week. They were saying how fed up most people are of both parties. Fed up of Trump, fed up of Biden. People are desperate for a unifying candidate apparently but no-one is emerging who is offering anything different from the lack lustre partisan rhetoric the 2 parties have been promoting for the last few years. Same complaints as here really.

Friends and relatives of mine over the pond say the same thing, which is fair enough, but there are alternatives, just takes a bit of gumption to vote for them and not see it as being a "wasted" vote.

The Green Party got close to being disruptive when Nader was involved I suppose, likewise the Lib Dems here, but Clegg f*cked that up royally.

Reactions: C R

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
They were saying how fed up most people are of both parties.

I had an American colleague who is a traditional Democrat voter in a state of despair over the range of candidates on offer by the party for the election Trump won.

I can't imagine it has got much better in the meantime for either main party.

Bazzer

"Mr. Chesebro’s lawyers have said that in calling themselves “duly elected and qualified,” the Trump electors meant “qualified and elected by the Republican Party.” "
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/04/...-this-fall-but-his-presence-will-be-felt.html

Not promising for them if part of their defence in itself looks a scam.

I look forward to watching his lawyers arguing how there can be two duly elected voters; the actual winners and the fraudsters.

I think part of the defence is also "Hawaii 1960", when Kennedy and Nixon locked horns. There Nixon's electors certified he had won, which appeared to be the case, but on a recount JFK actually won.
There is however, seemingly a problem or two, not the least of which is that in Georgia the first count and the subsequent recount all went Biden's way.

In contrast to Sidney Powell who is also being tried at the same time thanks to her request also for a speedy trial and from whom almost nothing seems to have been heard since the indictment, Cheseborough has made multiple fillings to avoid trial. He has thrown so much mud at the wall hoping some will stick, none of which has to date, I shouldn't be surprised if he turns at the last minute and pleads guilty in return for a deal from the Fulton County DA Fani Willis.

Bazzer

It appears that once again Trump can't telll the truth.
Having claimed in the Cohen lawsuit he couldn't sit for a deposition this week because he would be attending his civil fraud trial in New York, after two and half days, during which he was hit with a gag order following a despicable attack on the Judge's clerk he has fled back to Mar A Lago. - A property Trump claims to the press is worth >$1bn but which has been declared to the Florida tax authorities to be valued at <$25m.
I wonder what excuse he will use to avoid attending the rescheduled deposition hearing date of this coming Sunday in New York?

Bazzer

Quelle surprise. Trump drops his frivolous (and bullying) $500m lawsuit against Michael Cohen.
Having failed to delay the proceedings of his own lawsuit against Cohen until after the next general election, failed to comply properly with his own disclosure of documents, and then twice delayed sitting for a deposition, Trump has dropped the proceedings being taken against Cohen.
After the sitting for the deposition was delayed for a second time, the judge ordered a third sitting, but at a time and place of Cohen's choosing. This was to be New York next Monday.
Had a deposition gone ahead, it was expected that Trump would not answer a number of questions on the grounds of self incrimination because of the other New York AGs cases being taken against him and the Trump Organisation. - Which would have put Trump in the bizarre position of the plaintiff not providing verbal evidence in support of his own lawsuit.
Cohen is anticipated to appear before Judge Engoron as one of those being called by New York AG Letitia James in the Trump Org civil fraud hearing and is now expected to seek damages against Trump.

albion

Guru
That extra attempt to mute Cohen seems to emphasise that Trump spending all the donors money on lawyers for associates is simply attempt at silence.

How much it all erupts into mass disposal of the burdensome lawyers I am unsure.

Bazzer

Judge Arthur Engoron who issued the catastrophic judgement to the Trump organisation and the gag order on Trump personally, has been twisting the knife again. He has issued a series of orders relating to the Trump organisation which clear the way for a sell off of the businesses. These include;
Seven days for a list to be produced to the state of the entities affected.
The appointment of an independent receiver to manage the dissolution of the Trump entities,
An independent monitor to be notified if the creation of any new entity to hold or acquire the assets of the dissolved assets.

It also appears Trump is being required to disclose details of the silent partners in his businesses. Which could be interesting reading.

Trump's lawyers state they plan to appeal the dissolution order and to try to stay the current proceedings.

I don't think Clinton is helping by saying stuff like Trump supporters might need 'formal deprogramming'. Re-education camps? She would be better looking at why US politics is so polarised that someone like Trump even got a look in as a prospective candidate and then put her efforts into finding a Democratic candidate who can unify the country enough that a maverick figure (any maverick figure of any persuasion) isn't considered a viable option by voters.

Bazzer

More court failures by Trump.
An emergency appeal judge has rejected Trump's application to stay the current civil fraud trial. He also rejected the appeal against Judge Engoron's bench decision to ban Trump's companies from trading in New York state. Deciding instead that this will be considered when the remaining six or so charges concerning insurance fraud, falsified records and conspiracy, are resolved.
The appeal judge also rejected the appeal against an order issued by Judge Engoron which required Trump to disclose any new entities which are created to disclose these to the independent monitor, who was already in place from last year.
Trump's lawyers are claiming a victory in that the appeal stayed Judge Engoron's decision to wind up the businesses, pending the resolution of the remaining charges. - Something the New York AG had already stated in the media prior to the hearing, that she was proposing.
Separately, Trump's efforts to have judge Engoron removed from his case have also failed.
Then judge Lewis Kaplan the Federal judge hearing the second E Jean Carroll defamation case due to begin at the start of the New Year, which is a hearing to determine damages only, has rejected Trump's expert witness, brought in to counter E Jean Carroll's expert witness. Essentially on the grounds that what has been provided isn't expert testimony. (The same person also sought to provide testimony at the first E Jean Carroll rape & defamation hearing and was rejected by the same judge).

Bazzer

Republican congressman George Santos of; my mother died in 9/11 (she didn't), I'm not a Jew but Jew (ish), and various other claims worthy of Walter Mitty, now finds himself in much deeper water. Having originally faced 13 charges by a New York District Attorney, Santos it seems declined a plea deal and now faces a further 23 charges, including stealing details of donor's credit cards and wire fraud.
Two staff members who were also facing charges have taken plea deals and will be providing evidence against Santos.
If convicted he faces going to jail for a very long time.

Top Bottom