USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Compared to the US far less. The kind of religiosity you see in the US is something that hasn't been seen in Europe for at least fifty years.

I'd disagree with you on that front, but fair enough if that's your perception.

C R

Über Member

I've travelled a fair bit to the US and in Europe for work. Religion in Europe hardly ever comes up in a professional environment, in the US is fairly common for someone in the group to pipe up about their church this and their church that. I have a colleague in here who is quite fundamentalist, teetotal, young earth creationist, and even he finds the US religious colleagues off putting.

The worst was visiting a research group in a university in the South, with a colleague from Northern Ireland. Our contact there was a bible thumper, for want of a better description, nice, but did he go on about his church. Anyway first night out for dinner, our host decides to ask my colleague if he is a protestant or a catholic. Let's say that my colleague made his feelings about people who take religion seriously abundantly clear, and we had a different host the following night.

multitool

Don't be fooled by its media, TV and film output. It is enormously Conservative and religious. The strips of civilisation on the west and east coasts may colour our view of the US, but reality is very different.

CR is bang on.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran
I've travelled a fair bit to the US and in Europe for work. Religion in Europe hardly ever comes up in a professional environment, in the US is fairly common for someone in the group to pipe up about their church this and their church that. I have a colleague in here who is quite fundamentalist, teetotal, young earth creationist, and even he finds the US religious colleagues off putting.

The worst was visiting a research group in a university in the South, with a colleague from Northern Ireland. Our contact there was a bible thumper, for want of a better description, nice, but did he go on about his church. Anyway first night out for dinner, our host decides to ask my colleague if he is a protestant or a catholic. Let's say that my colleague made his feelings about people who take religion seriously abundantly clear, and we had a different host the following night.

I agree. I had an ex colleague who moved to Houston.
He had to join the local church in order to assimilate into local society. He found it very odd.

multitool

Anyhow.

Let's cut to the chase. If Trump wins, the likelihood of WW3 erupting in the following four years is, I'd say, pretty certain.

• Sad

multitool

Religion has less influence in Europe? Lol.

Yeah. Lol.

PF.06.13.18_religiouscommitment-03-05-.png

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Don't be fooled by its media, TV and film output. It is enormously Conservative and religious. The strips of civilisation on the west and east coasts may colour our view of the US, but reality is very different.

CR is bang on.

I know, I lived in the States for four years, I've seen what it's like, but that's not what I'm disagreeing with him on.

They may be more obvious in the States, but there are countries where it still plays a massive role in society, Scotland for example.

As for Trump, I dunno. Some commentators seem to think he'd be great, others not so much. Personally I can't believe he's even in the running, or maybe I just don't want to. Worrying times really.

multitool

The evidence suggests otherwise. If you want the epitome of the decline of influence of the church look to Eire. It still amazes me how the Irish have pushed the influence of the church out of public life.

multitool

As for Trump, I dunno. Some commentators seem to think he'd be great, others not so much. Personally I can't believe he's even in the running, or maybe I just don't want to. Worrying times really.

The current likelihood is that he will win the next election.

Seems incredible, yes, but the US is gripped by a cult.

• Sad

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The evidence suggests otherwise. If you want the epitome of the decline of influence of the church look to Eire. It still amazes me how the Irish have pushed the influence of the church out of public life.

Shame it hasn't worked in Scotland quite as effectively then.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The current likelihood is that he will win the next election.

Seems incredible, yes, but the US is gripped by a cult.

Sadly, very true. I know it's fictionalised, but one of the American Horror Story series pretty much nailed it. Shame that Sarah Paulson was reduced to a fairly pathetic role, making it almost too irritating to enjoy.

multitool

Shame it hasn't worked in Scotland quite as effectively then.

Attitude surveys suggest that it has.

Those identifying as holding religious beliefs has dropped from 60% to 42% between 1999 and 2017.

On what are you basing your view?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Attitude surveys suggest that it has.

Those identifying as holding religious beliefs has dropped from 60% to 42% between 1999 and 2017.

On what are you basing your view?

The Census (albeit not the most recent one, I don't think that more specific breakdowns have been published yet), and the depressing popularity of the Orange Order. It would be interesting to know how many Scots outside Scotland hold religious views, but I doubt that's even possible to collate.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Census (albeit not the most recent one, I don't think that more specific breakdowns have been published yet), and the depressing popularity of the Orange Order. It would be interesting to know how many Scots outside Scotland hold religious views, but I doubt that's even possible to collate.

Personally, I don't find the "holding of religious views" an issue, it is the "exporting" of those views to those around them, which I find an issue.

I am a total none believer, married to a church attending RC, whose family (siblings) are equally staunch RC.

We just get along just fine, on the basis that, I have my views, they have theirs, end of, no discussion.

A couple of years ago, daughter no2's in-laws (Northern Ireland Protestants) where visiting at the same time as a "family gathering" of my wife's siblings and partners was taking place at a local Catholic Club. The in-laws were a bit reluctant to attend, I don't really know why, but, since they are not really practicing Protestants (ie don't attend church), I can only assume it was based on "home" experience. They did, in the end, attend and had a jolly good time, judging by the amount of booze they drank ;)

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Personally, I don't find the "holding of religious views" an issue, it is the "exporting" of those views to those around them, which I find an issue.

I am a total none believer, married to a church attending RC, whose family (siblings) are equally staunch RC.

We just get along just fine, on the basis that, I have my views, they have theirs, end of, no discussion.

A couple of years ago, daughter no2's in-laws (Northern Ireland Protestants) where visiting at the same time as a "family gathering" of my wife's siblings and partners was taking place at a local Catholic Club. The in-laws were a bit reluctant to attend, I don't really know why, but, since they are not really practicing Protestants (ie don't attend church), I can only assume it was based on "home" experience. They did, in the end, attend and had a jolly good time, judging by the amount of booze they drank ;)

Broadly I agree. The issue in Scotland (and Northern Ireland) is that "traditions" are so ingrained generationally that it's impossible to escape. Orange marches on The Twelfth are particularly awful.

Top Bottom