USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Broadly I agree. The issue in Scotland (and Northern Ireland) is that "traditions" are so ingrained generationally that it's impossible to escape. Orange marches on The Twelfth are particularly awful.

Yes, as you said in another thread, "compromise necessary".

But, compromise requires a degree of flexibility from all participants.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes, as you said in another thread, "compromise necessary".

But, compromise requires a degree of flexibility from all participants.

Not something likely to be seen from Trump, no matter how bonkers his policies are!

AndyRM

Elder Goth
DeSantis has dropped out and is endorsing Trump. Not hugely surprising, I suppose, but it would have been better to have someone actually opposing him.

D

Deleted member 159

Ron DeSantis drops out of Republican presidential race​

That leaves Trump

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'd actually forgotten that Haley is still in the running, though her nomination is incredibly unlikely (from an immigrant family and female, which already counts against her unfortunately).

But you never know. At least she seems to have more than two brain cells that haven't been contaminated by bleach or UV light.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Once upon a time, evangelicalism was well connected to religion. These days it has that Taliban religious feel, at least in the states.
I have my problems with some aspects of US evangelicalism not least the tendency to take 'sound doctrine' to an extreme but to liken them to the Taliban is also inaccurate in the extreme.
In the US Christians are very much only out for themselves.
They very strongly believe that healthy families are the bedrock of a stable society and that government should not and cannot usurp this role. That the State shouldn't be God.

I think we are going to have to get used to the idea that Trump may end up back in the Whitehouse and one reason will be the failure of the left to see its Marxist cultural ideology has pushed people into voting in someone who might stand against this. Parents don't want the state to arrogate the right to overrule their duty of care for their own children to enable them to 'transition' for example.

bobzmyunkle

one reason will be the failure of the left to see its Marxist cultural ideology has pushed people into voting in someone who might stand against this.
I'm reading that as what @Unkraut believes, rather than his observation of what the evangelicals believe. Barking mad either way.
Parents don't want the state to arrogate the right to overrule their duty of care for their own children to enable them to 'transition' for example.
This is Marxist?
@Unkrauts of the world ... You have nothing to lose but your ignorance.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This is Marxist?
@Unkrauts of the world ... You have nothing to lose but your ignorance.

No, it isn't. But then when you're starting from the point that "the left" employs "cultural Marxist ideology", you've fallen for lies.

Reactions: C R

bobzmyunkle

. But then when you're starting from the point that "the left" employs "cultural Marxist ideology", you've fallen for lies.
Presumably Biden is this left (Marxist) element he refers to.
(No doubt he is in the eyes of the gun totting evangelical crazies that appear to dominate large areas of the states).

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Presumably Biden is this left (Marxist) element he refers to.
(No doubt he is in the eyes of the gun totting evangelical crazies that appear to dominate large areas of the states).

Biden is a central (left-ish) democrat. He couldn't be further from a Marxist if he tried.

I often wonder if people have actually read anything Marx, or Engels, has ever written. The Communist Manifesto would take at most a couple of hours out of their busy days being totally misinformed about what Marxism represents.

Das Kapital is a bit of a slog admittedly, but baby steps!

I know, I lived in the States for four years, I've seen what it's like, but that's not what I'm disagreeing with him on.

They may be more obvious in the States, but there are countries where it still plays a massive role in society, Scotland for example.

As for Trump, I dunno. Some commentators seem to think he'd be great, others not so much. Personally I can't believe he's even in the running, or maybe I just don't want to. Worrying times really.
So far i known nowhere in western europe a medic can refuse treatment because someone is transgender for example, in the US they can ( like here: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/judge-ruled-doctors-can-refuse-patients-transgender-abortion )
The current likelihood is that he will win the next election.

Seems incredible, yes, but the US is gripped by a cult.
More by an lack of alternatives, look at republicans, Dossantis, Trump, the guy that just joined Trump and look at the democrats.. they only have Biden and that is the problem.

albion

Guru
The bookies still have Michelle Obama in the running for next president.
Unlikely, but circumstance could have her parachuted into the game.

matticus

Guru
The bookies still have Michelle Obama in the running for next president.
Unlikely, but circumstance could have her parachuted into the game.

It doesn't seem an absurd option.

... but as far as I can tell, it's total speculation at the moment. Most likely to be Trump's people trying to undermine Biden (i.e. "He's so bad, Mrs Obama is being lined up to replace him!" )

Random google hit: https://www.wionews.com/world/donal...mer-first-lady-could-replace-joe-biden-682065

All uphill

Parents don't want the state to arrogate the right to overrule their duty of care for their own children to enable them to 'transition' for example.
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has seen what a minority of parents inflict on their children?

If I was an abused child would I:

A Welcome the intervention of social care?
B Welcome the intervention of the Church. Catholic, for example?
C Be happy that my parents know best?

Top Bottom