War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
'MOSCOW : Russian President Vladimir Putin, speaking at a joint press conference in Minsk with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Monday, said that Russia does not want to "absorb" anyone, and that unspecified "enemies" wanted to stop Russia's integration with Belarus.'

Impression I get is that Lukashenko stood firm. It has also been reported Putin will hunt the 'Nazi supporters' in Russia.
Sounds Stalinesque and bad news for Russian citizens. Putin is certainly concentrating on personal survival.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
In 10 months Russia has had far more soldiers killed than the almost 10 years of the Afghan War.

How long will the Russian people accept this (assuming they know the figures)?

Putin has painted himself into a corner with this war, and he is no Gorbachev.

'MOSCOW : Russian President Vladimir Putin, speaking at a joint press conference in Minsk with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Monday, said that Russia does not want to "absorb" anyone, and that unspecified "enemies" wanted to stop Russia's integration with Belarus.'

Impression I get is that Lukashenko stood firm. It has also been reported Putin will hunt the 'Nazi supporters' in Russia.
Sounds Stalinesque and bad news for Russian citizens. Putin is certainly concentrating on personal survival.
Lushenko needed Russia to stop an uprising not so long ago, if he send it's troops to the meatgrinder it will be his end plain and simple. So his strategy seems to be sucking up to Putin but not giving in.
In 10 months Russia has had far more soldiers killed than the almost 10 years of the Afghan War.

How long will the Russian people accept this (assuming they know the figures)?

Putin has painted himself into a corner with this war, and he is no Gorbachev.
Well for Putin, war has always been a way to increase his popularity, whenever his ratings where failing, he would start a war. And it works fine as long as he has succes deaths during miltary campaigns have never deterred Russia.
It's hard to know exactly how the majority off russians think, in terms of putting numbers in to percentages etc. But if you watch those street interviews there is useally at least one who says he/she doesn't believe state media/goverment etc.

All uphill

Well worth listening to Dr Fiona Hill's Reith Lecture on Freedom from Fear, with a focus on Putin's war in Ukraine.

Interesting that she acknowledges that the US, UK and France as colonial countries are not in the strongest position to criticise Putin.

Sorry, I can't create a link but it's available on BBC Sounds.

Reactions: C R

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Interesting that she acknowledges that the US, UK and France as colonial countries are not in the strongest position to criticise Putin.

The UK and France were former colonial countries. They both dismantled their empires even if somewhat unwillingly following WW2. The UK on particular did so by and large peacefully, unlike some other European colonial powers.

It seems to me Putin is trying to resurrect in part the old Soviet Empire. He is the neo-colonialist. It seems to me the hard left in the West has always had a blind spot as to the nature of Soviet imperialism, which in many ways far from being a revolution carried on the former Czarist empire.

This does not mean, however, that I fully go along with the reporting in the West that Russia is wholly bad and the Ukraine wholly good. Russia is the aggressor, but the Ukraine is not populated by nation of saints either.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well worth listening to Dr Fiona Hill's Reith Lecture on Freedom from Fear, with a focus on Putin's war in Ukraine.
Sorry, I can't create a link but it's available on BBC Sounds.

Nor is Russia in a strong position to use the excuse: 'Well you started it first'. None of the countries involved have a good history of dealings with other countries in the past.

And it is Russia's war, not Putin's. That is a cop out. The country's political systems enable and empower him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

I read that as China willing to help Putin sound like he might be reasonable while not actually doing anything to stop the war.
To be honest have you heard any realistic terms of ending it from either Putin or Zelensky ? Unless someone or something changes or conpromises is it just going to go on and on.
Was there not something from Turkey early on?

C R

Über Member
To be honest have you heard any realistic terms of ending it from either Putin or Zelensky ? Unless someone or something changes or conpromises is it just going to go on and on.
Was there not something from Turkey early on?

Problem is, Russia would probably only settle for a border at the current front line, which will never fly with the Ukrainians. Russia can not really occupy and hold the whole of Ukraine, but they can and are callous enough to raze to the ground whatever they can’t hold. They need to lose and be seen to have lost.

Top Bottom