Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
"They call him [Johnson] Britain Trump"

He certainly is.
It was well documented what a terrible 'leader' he would be, before the last election, yet still people voted for him and his ilk.

Brendan Cox on R4 just now talking about this deliberate injecting of poison into politics, and he of all people knows what happens when that is done.

Ultimately Johnson only cares about Johnson, that was always self evident.

Whether 'decent' Tories care enough to do anything about it, remains to be seen.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
It seems that with the currently low levels of decency in some areas of politics, the rules of 'Parliamentary Privelidge', and other standards need rapid overhaul. People (especially the PM) must not have special protections that allow them to spout lies and slander without being properly held to account. This is sadly lacking and Johnson and his cronies know they can lie with impunity without fear or reprisal. As we know, once the lie is out it's unstoppable.
Like @mudsticks and others, I do believe that the majority of Tories are decent people (just misguided :ohmy:), they now need to stand-up and be counted....

Whether 'decent' Tories care enough to do anything about it, remains to be seen.
I do believe that the majority of Tories are decent people (just misguided :ohmy:), they now need to stand-up and be counted....

Well my MP Chris Philp has been on the radio and TV circuit this morning spewing out the party line. I had him down as a boilerplate Tory but not especially swivel eyed. It seems I was wrong. Either his junior ministerial post (working under Nadine Dorries:eek:) is more important to him than his integrity or he really is a true believer. Either way I’m disappointed once again that my neighbours voted for him and probably will do so again.

View: https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1490947688640262145?s=21

And on R4, starts at 2:36.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00146vy

mudsticks

Squire
Well my MP Chris Philp has been on the radio and TV circuit this morning spewing out the party line. I had him down as a boilerplate Tory but not especially swivel eyed. It seems I was wrong. Either his junior ministerial post (working under Nadine Dorries:eek:) is more important to him than his integrity or he really is a true believer. Either way I’m disappointed once again that my neighbours voted for him and probably will do so again.

Well yes my 'decent' Tory should have been more heavily qualified , or ironised.

As far as I can see The Tories have represented very little else than the promotion of pure self interest for many a year.

Both of themselves, but also promoting the idea that 'society' is an outdated concept, and that a populist 'every man for himself' and bugger the rest of you, attitude, is a perfectly sound political stance.

swansonj

Regular
It seems that with the currently low levels of decency in some areas of politics, the rules of 'Parliamentary Privelidge', and other standards need rapid overhaul. People (especially the PM) must not have special protections that allow them to spout lies and slander without being properly held to account. This is sadly lacking and Johnson and his cronies know they can lie with impunity without fear or reprisal. As we know, once the lie is out it's unstoppable.
Like @mudsticks and others, I do believe that the majority of Tories are decent people (just misguided :ohmy:), they now need to stand-up and be counted....
It seems to me there is a role for the Speaker here. Things said in Parliament are protected by privilege, sure, but there are also conventions that MPs don't abuse that by spouting lies. Traditionally the Speaker says things about "I am sure the member will correct any statement if it is wrong" but in this case that's not working. Could the Speaker not summon Johnson and say "I invite the right honourable member to withdraw the false statement he made on such and such a date and to correct the false statement he made on such and such a date", and if Johnson refuses, exercise some soft power, such as just happening not to invite any of the conservative front bench to speak in any debates?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

I heard him on R4. Like Dorries they're Boris apologists taking one for the team. If only they had the self-awareness to realise how ridiculous they sound....

swansonj

Regular
Well yes my 'decent' Tory should have been more heavily qualified , or ironised.

As far as I can see The Tories have represented very little else than the promotion of pure self interest for many a year.

Both of themselves, but also promoting the idea that 'society' is an outdated concept, and that a populist 'every man for himself' and bugger the rest of you, attitude, is a perfectly sound political stance.
Absolutely. Conservatism always has been about self interest, but it used to preserve a public face of caring about other people, of trying to create a decent society for all, etc. Wasn't it essentially Maggie who ripped off that facemask and just promoted the idea of selfishness and self advancement as not just a supposed virtue but as pretty much the only virtue?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Absolutely. Conservatism always has been about self interest, but it used to preserve a public face of caring about other people, of trying to create a decent society for all, etc. Wasn't it essentially Maggie who ripped off that facemask and just promoted the idea of selfishness and self advancement as not just a supposed virtue but as pretty much the only virtue?

As I remember it, Thatcher promoted the idea that people should attempt to solve their own problems and/or help/support their friends/relations, before holding out their hand for Government assistance.

Doesn't seem like a bad philosophy to me.

I didn't vote for her by the way (although, I was old enough).

Top Bottom