American bombshell? Roe vs. Wade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
There was a Radio 4 programme a few months ago about the way abortion became a hot issue for the religious right in the USA in the 1990s twenty years after Roe vs Wade. It was only then it became the hugely divisive and useful campaign issue it now is there.

I'll see if I can find a link

It's the Jon Ronson podcast.
Started due to the son of a priest working in Switzerland who wanted to work in Hollywood....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011cpq

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Really? Roe vs Wade was in the early 70s, that is 50 years ago, but the rot only set in 5 years ago in relation to abortion? I don't think so.

I do. You didn't really hear of Roe v Wade being challenged until Trump took power. He ensured that the Supreme Judiciary moved from a democratic Majority to a Republican one, and ensured that the Judge in question was a regular god botherer. Emboldened by the changes in the Judiciary various states have been passing punitive anti-abortion laws, and trying to strip women of rights over their own bodies. Prior to Trump, Presidents had been bright enough to see what a divisive simmering crockpot the issue could be and left well alone. Instead, those who watch the Handmaid's Tale and think Gilead is a great idea have been working to overturn it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I do. You didn't really hear of Roe v Wade being challenged until Trump took power. He ensured that the Supreme Judiciary moved from a democratic Majority to a Republican one, and ensured that the Judge in question was a regular god botherer. Emboldened by the changes in the Judiciary various states have been passing punitive anti-abortion laws, and trying to strip women of rights over their own bodies. Prior to Trump, Presidents had been bright enough to see what a divisive simmering crockpot the issue could be and left well alone. Instead, those who watch the Handmaid's Tale and think Gilead is a great idea have been working to overturn it.

The evangelical Christian right were/are vote-fodder for populist Republicans....

59% of Americans want abortion rights to remain.

Biden has stated today that he supports the status-quo...whatever you want...

I still can't believe we had a situation where you couldn't get benefits for a third child ..
Unless you could prove it was the result of rape .

What kind of a country is this .??

It's not even as if it just catches the mythical single Mum with x children from y fathers.

As a benefits advisor I'm seeing Mothers of three or more caught where the Father has done the classic 'leave her for younger model' exchange.

mudsticks

Squire
It's not even as if it just catches the mythical single Mum with x children from y fathers.

As a benefits advisor I'm seeing Mothers of three or more caught where the Father has done the classic 'leave her for younger model' exchange.

I couldn't believe that 'rule' was brought in with barely a murmur.

Sickening, so dehumanising, goes to show how much our gov really cares about children, families, and the future health of society. :sad:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The whole judiciary system in the US is nuts. The whole basis of having a fair legal system is that judges should be independent and not partisan. To be able to pack the Supreme Court with either left wingers or right wingers in order to implement political ideologies into national law is ridiculous. Utterly, utterly depressing news. Absolutely gutted for American women today.

mudsticks

Squire
The whole judiciary system in the US is nuts. The whole basis of having a fair legal system is that judges should be independent and not partisan. To be able to pack the Supreme Court with either left wingers or right wingers in order to implement political ideologies into national law is ridiculous. Utterly, utterly depressing news. Absolutely gutted for American women today.

Meanwhile over here we've got politicians and populist press demonising so called 'lefty lawyers' working to uphold our human rights.

We like to imagine were so much more progressive, and politically sophisticated than the US.

However this government is restricted rights, and reducing democratic and civil liberties at a frightening rate.

Seemingly nothing can be done about it.

icowden

Legendary Member
59% of Americans want abortion rights to remain.
The problem is that those 59% are distributed across 52 states all of which have different population sizes and which can have separate legislation on the matter if Roe vs Wade is overturned. There is the "water" theory - if you live in a state with a coastline you tend to be a little more aware of the rest of the world and a bit more liberal.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
The problem is that those 59% are distributed across 52 states all of which have different population sizes and which can have separate legislation on the matter if Roe vs Wade is overturned. There is the "water" theory - if you live in a state with a coastline you tend to be a little more aware of the rest of the world and a bit more liberal.
Yep. The primacy of a State over nation certainly has its pros and cons.
I have oft heard the watery states theory - and I think some suggest the Great Lakes also count - but after Ohio's election yesterday am not so sure...and Texas...and Florida may be outliers too!

mudsticks

Squire
Yep. The primacy of a State over nation certainly has its pros and cons.
I have oft heard the watery states theory - and I think some suggest the Great Lakes also count - but after Ohio's election yesterday am not so sure...and Texas...and Florida may be outliers too!

But it seems that bodily autonomy doesn't have primacy if you're a woman.

My rights to bodily freedom are really important if I'm an anti masker..
Even though wearing a mask is pretty well proven to reduce harm to all

Suddenly not so much rights to my own body if I'm a woman with an unwanted pregnancy..

Funny old world isn't it .??

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
But it seems that bodily autonomy doesn't have primacy if you're a woman.

My rights to bodily freedom are really important if I'm an anti masker..
Even though wearing a mask is pretty well proven to reduce harm to all

Suddenly not so much rights to my own body if I'm a woman with an unwanted pregnancy..

Funny old world isn't it .??

It's a world increasingly beyond comprehension and reason....

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Meanwhile over here we've got politicians and populist press demonising so called 'lefty lawyers' working to uphold our human rights.

We like to imagine were so much more progressive, and politically sophisticated than the US.

However this government is restricted rights, and reducing democratic and civil liberties at a frightening rate.

Seemingly nothing can be done about it.

If enough people are unhappy enough about the changes then the Tories can be voted out, and of course their replacements will reverse the changes.....won't they?

It is up to the opposition parties to highlight the pernicious effects of these changes as part of their current opposition in parliament and as part of their campaigns before the next elections.

Top Bottom