Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Did we learn what happened to Cressida's "constructive dismissal" claim?

Ian H

Guru
Did we learn what happened to Cressida's "constructive dismissal" claim?
Recent edit to her Wiki page suggests it might not be going anywhere -
In January 2023, Met police constable David Carrick pled guilty to 49 account of sexual offences against twelve women, and lifted reporting restrictions revealed that the Met's mishandling of his case was part of the reason Dick had been ousted.

D

Deleted member 49

The Met again and again...it's so disturbing to read this after all the warnings.Let's see how many of those "top brass" who kept him in the Met lose their jobs.I wouldn't be surprised if they knew of this and chose to turn a blind eye.Fecking hell and they wonder why women don't report sexual offences ! Heartbreaking to read.
Disband it and start again it's not fit for purpose.

Bazzer

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
The Met again and again...it's so disturbing to read this after all the warnings.Let's see how many of those "top brass" who kept him in the Met lose their jobs.I wouldn't be surprised if they knew of this and chose to turn a blind eye.Fecking hell and they wonder why women don't report sexual offences ! Heartbreaking to read.
Disband it and start again it's not fit for purpose.

And for how long have women been saying this?
And for how long have women been ignored, and been told to stop exaggerating and making a 'fuss'

This is why so much of this crime goes unreported.
It's 'almost' as if the whole system is 'designed' to dissuade it.

It's not just the Met, although they seem particularly bad
It's other police 'forces' it's also the judicial system.
It's a whole misogynistic, institutionally patriachal and racist system that's embedded in society which still, so often, sees women and poc, their concerns, rights, and safety, as of very secondary importance.

multitool

Shaman
The police force recruits heavily from ex-forces. But not officer class. For all the fetishisation of the military and "thankyou for your service" bullshit that goes on, these are not, as a rule, either particularly nice or enlightened people.
We should not be surprised that a paramilitary civilian force resembles squad level army, at squad level.

There has, of course, been huge efforts to recruit from communities and at graduate level, but clearly the legacy remains.

I think the police force is, by nature, entrenched. They find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place in their daily operations, they need to be close knit, and they deal with horrible things on a regular basis that many of us never, ever have to see. Black humour is bound to develop, and I think that if there are misogynists present it can take a dark turn and become part of group culture. The police I know personally would be revolted by this, but I'm sure they would acknowledge its existence. Whistle-blowing cannot be easy given that the person on whom you are whistle-blowing might be a person you rely on in daily roles.

Last edited:
  • Sad

mudsticks

Squire
The police force recruits heavily from ex-forces. But not officer class. For all the fetishisation of the military and "thankyou for your service" bullshit that goes on, these are not, as a rule, either particularly nice or enlightened people.
We should not be surprised that a paramilitary civilian force resembles squad level army, at squad level.

There has, of course, been huge efforts to recruit from communities and at graduate level, but clearly the legacy remains.

I think the police force is, by nature, entrenched. They find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place in their daily operations, they need to be close knit, and they deal with horrible things on a regular basis that many of us never, ever have to see. Black humour is bound to develop, and I think that if there are misogynists present it can take a dark turn and become part of group culture. The police I know personally would be revolted by this, but I'm sure they would acknowledge its existence. Whistle-blowing cannot be easy given that the person on whom you are whistle-blowing might be a person you rely on in daily roles.
In which case the police force is not fit for purpose.

The armed forces are intentionally trained to find killing and violence acceptable in some circumstances. They seem like the least suitable people to be in the police unless their mindset is retrained from 'more violence, and force' being the solution to any given problem.

If the present police 'service' are incapable of creating a culture where lines very firmly drawn, can't be crossed by those in the ranks, then the whole thing needs to be overhauled, disbanded and reformed or whatever.

They won't be able to recruit decent people who wish to serve the public for all the right reasons
They won't have the consent, and trust of the public to be policed by them, particularly not the trust and consent of women, ethnic minorities, and other marginalised groups.

The whole system breaks down and we find we are under the control of racist misogynistic thugs.

Both those in our 'society' and those in the police 'force' too.

The fact that 'our' 'government' has cut funding to all the services which demonstrably cut incidences of crime before they even become a police matter seems to have escaped the notice of the populist press who are now screaming

"How could this ever happen?!?!?"

The same ones who will go on about 'woke' nonsense' when anything that seeks to tackle entrenched misogyny, racism homophobia and so on is implemented.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64293158

And then you'll have arrissholes coming on here saying 'why are you having a dig at the pols?'

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not sure if this is relevant, but, I note the two most recent serious cases have been officer serving in the same branch, and, fire-arms trained.

I do wonder if there is a connection?

My understanding is that fire-arms training is a voluntary option?, perhaps, everyone who volunteers should be vetted more carefully?, as a starting point.

mudsticks

Squire
Sure, but on the other side of the same arrisshole coin it says 'ACAB'.

I'm not sure that it does say that in fact.

We've had people on here going - and I've heard it said elsewhere

"All 'you lot' going on about how 'awful' the police are - What do you do if you become the victim of crime ?? You call the police i bet !!"

As if that's some kind of resounding 'gotcha' .

It seems to be mainly centered around a generalised lack of GAF at all about society, community, political awareness, building of a civil society - or all that other dreary stuff that takes individual and collective effort.

D

Deleted member 49

Not sure if this is relevant, but, I note the two most recent serious cases have been officer serving in the same branch, and, fire-arms trained.

I do wonder if there is a connection?

My understanding is that fire-arms training is a voluntary option?, perhaps, everyone who volunteers should be vetted more carefully?, as a starting point.
I'm not so sure it matters...there's rot everywhere by the sound of it.Sure i read 800 officers under enquiry for 1000 offences ?

Top Bottom