Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There may even be the risk of some areas becoming even worse policed, if the better quality officers gravitate towards the more scrupulously run areas, and the less bothered towards a laxer regime.

If there's a chance of retaining the decent officers already there, change has to start right now, with a zero tolerance of the toxic culture.

Unless that happens right away, then what little trust is left will be further eroded, and the whole system, such as it is collapses.
Agreed on the point of becoming even worsed policed, i'm struggling to see how that is even possible if you read those reports.
But yes that was also my point if they start chopping it into little pieces right now, it will work short term, enough to make a good show just before the elections but longer term the problem will not change at all. for the reasons you described above.

mudsticks

Squire
'Elf n sarfety innit...

If only...

Can't feel very elfy or particularly safe in the capital right now.

It's not hard to see why many would view the Met as a publicly funded gang, that only offers protection to 'its own'

Bad luck if you happen to be black, female, gay, or otherwise non conforming to the closed ranks 'boys club'.

C R

Über Member
If only...

It's not hard to see why many would view the Met as a publicly funded gang, that only offers protection to 'its own'

Bad luck if you happen to be black, female, gay, or otherwise non conforming to the closed ranks 'boys club'.

I know, I was being flippant about what kind of explanation they would give to the exclusion of C4 News.

Milzy

The quick answer is no. At least they’re not US bobbies.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
There are a lot of decent individuals in the police but it's hard to see how Londoners can have any confidence in the Met right now. Can't find it now but I read a bit of a thing earlier along the lines of we need to get rid of the idea of loyalty to the group and shift it back to loyalty to the public. It's partly the 'You've got my back so I can't complain' that breeds the culture you've got in the Met.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There are a lot of decent individuals in the police but it's hard to see how Londoners can have any confidence in the Met right now. Can't find it now but I read a bit of a thing earlier along the lines of we need to get rid of the idea of loyalty to the group and shift it back to loyalty to the public. It's partly the 'You've got my back so I can't complain' that breeds the culture you've got in the Met.

Very true, but, loyalty to the group runs deep, in most groups.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
The difficulty for the police is that they face vexatious complaints from a-holes all the time, as well as behaviour towards them which is unjustified and unpleasant. This is bound to lead to an entrenched attitude and a thick skin. They aren't always able to recruit the brightest and the best, which means they end up with some pretty undesirable people in their midst who don't have what it takes to maintain a professional composure at all times.

The report says that the Met are institutionally racist, homophobic and misogynistic (which it is). How do we tackle this? With diversity training? This is the very stuff that right-wing culture warriors have been fighting against as 'woke'.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

Yup I read that too somewhere.

It's the old closing ranks when 'threatened' with criticism of behaviour thing.
A tendency not confined to The Met , by any means.

It's hard to see how the decent ones who really do want to serve, can do good policing under those circumstances.

I can just imagine the ostracism suffered, and accusations of 'virtue signalling' or whatever when someone tries to call out poor behaviour in the organisation.

Can you imagine trying to challenge apparently 'harmless' banter in these circs.?

Forever condemned, and sidelined for committing that most heinous of 'British' crimes 'Having No Sense of Humour' 🙄

As if taking things seriously is only for losers.

I can't help feeling that years of police drama, glorifying the 'maverick cop' instead of the one following proper procedure will have fed into the overall tone.

D

Deleted member 121

The difficulty for the police is that they face vexatious complaints from a-holes all the time, as well as behaviour towards them which is unjustified and unpleasant. This is bound to lead to an entrenched attitude and a thick skin. They aren't always able to recruit the brightest and the best, which means they end up with some pretty undesirable people in their midst who don't have what it takes to maintain a professional composure at all times.

The report says that the Met are institutionally racist, homophobic and misogynistic (which it is). How do we tackle this? With diversity training? This is the very stuff that right-wing culture warriors have been fighting against as 'woke'.

Another problem is the college policing program which is basically recruiting police officers with zero life experience outside of a classroom. The may be clued up on the law but can't hack it outside and are perhaps immature.

mudsticks

Squire
The quick answer is no. At least they’re not US bobbies.

'At least' anything is a pretty p*ss poor response to any kind of problem. .

Next up, any woman pointing out entrenched sexist attitudes and misogyny in this country.?

"At least' you don't live in Afghanistan"

Top Bottom