Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
He should worry, he's been paid about £150K for doing nowt, and even if sacked, will retire on a pension of about £1,000 a week.

For two years! so, he is already £300k up!

Pale Rider

Veteran
For two years! so, he is already £300k up!

I was surprised to learn a commander's salary is 'only' about £75k a year.

A commander, like a commissioner, is one of those ranks unique to the Met, so it can be difficult to see where they fit into the pecking order.

So the calculation is £75k X 2, giving £150k.

The pension will be roughly two thirds of one year's salary which, as near as dammit, is a grand a week.

Pale Rider

Veteran
My reading was that it requires a criminal conviction

That's true, but the job is less than straightforward even then.

Coppers are the most skilled and determined hook wrigglers.

Last case I dealt with was a copper who was convicted (only of misconduct in public office) for flogging guns from the police property store.

A proportion of his pension was taken as a consequence of the conviction.

He appealed that decision and got nearly all of that proportion back.

Overall result was very little impact on his pension.

The commander was 'only' doing illegal drugs in his own time.

There's no way anyone will be able to get anywhere near his pension.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

I was surprised to learn a commander's salary is 'only' about £75k a year.

A commander, like a commissioner, is one of those ranks unique to the Met, so it can be difficult to see where they fit into the pecking order.

So the calculation is £75k X 2, giving £150k.

The pension will be roughly two thirds of one year's salary which, as near as dammit, is a grand a week.

OK, I thought you were quoting annual salary, my mistake. So, he "only" creams off £150k, how will he manage?

Pale Rider

Veteran
OK, I thought you were quoting annual salary, my mistake. So, he "only" creams off £150k, how will he manage?

And there's the pension of a grand a week to keep him in chocolate biscuits.

Believe it or not, I thinking pinching some of his pension would be unreasonable.

He has been paying contributions for 30+ years, albeit the fund is topped up by a ludicrous amount by the taxpayer.

The 'offence' seems confined to smoking illegal drugs off duty.

Much as I favour harsh punishment, saying 'you're sacked and by the way we're having your pension' would be a bit much.

BoldonLad

And there's the pension of a grand a week to keep him in chocolate biscuits.

Believe it or not, I thinking pinching some of his pension would be unreasonable.

He has been paying contributions for 30+ years, albeit the fund is topped up by a ludicrous amount by the taxpayer.

The 'offence' seems confined to smoking illegal drugs off duty.

Much as I favour harsh punishment, saying 'you're sacked and by the way we're having your pension' would be a bit much.

Yes, it is the lengthy suspension on full pay which upsets me. To me, it smells of kicking it into the long grass, rather than actually investigating properly. It is always possible he is innocent of the accusations of course.

Yes, it is the lengthy suspension on full pay which upsets me. To me, it smells of kicking it into the long grass, rather than actually investigating properly. It is always possible he is innocent of the accusations of course.

Agree. A suspension to get you out of the way and stop any prospect of interference while an investigation takes place is normal. Two years suggests the process is way to sticky or complex although this one's now at a Police Discipline Tribunal so several other processes already behind him.

In his shoes and at his age, he must be well over 60, I'd have accepted the sack with good grace and enjoyed my pension.

BoldonLad

Agree. A suspension to get you out of the way and stop any prospect of interference while an investigation takes place is normal. Two years suggests the process is way to sticky or complex although this one's now at a Police Discipline Tribunal so several other processes already behind him.

In his shoes and at his age, he must be well over 60, I'd have accepted the sack with good grace and enjoyed my pension.

Yes, me too, even if I hadn't done it, could have been sunning himself and having a joint on some beach somewhere ;)

Top Bottom