Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I stand by my comments.

You obviously do not understand/ agree with the point I was making.

That is fine by me.
I've stated my view, so I'm happy to leave it at that.

Not a chance.

You “specifically and deliberately used the word criminals in this context”, so you clearly feel you’re justified in your post. Let’s hear your rationale for it.

multitool

If a bank robber gets away with it, is (s)he not a criminal?

(Having said that, I'm not keen on the Spen's usage in this instance. It is a heavily stigmatising word...and besides, what was the crime?)

D

Deleted member 121

(Having said that, I'm not keen on the Spen's usage in this instance. It is a heavily stigmatising word...and besides, what was the crime?)

I believe they are fugitives in that instance and would join ugly gimps such as on here NCA or elsewhere depending on how big a crime. If by "gets away with it" you mean they commit the robbing activities and successfully flee with the cash and go into hiding. We all use criminals from time to time to denote someone fleeing the law, but until they are caught and found guilty then they are not officially a criminal.

Last edited by a moderator:

multitool

I'm not sure I agree. I think that is a convicted criminal. It is possible to commit crimes, and thereby be a criminal without ever facing judgement of the law.

Anyway, splitting hairs a little. I still don't really like Spen's use of it for dead kids riding bikes.

D

Deleted member 121

I'm not sure I agree. I think that is a convicted criminal. It is possible to commit crimes, and thereby be a criminal without ever facing judgement of the law.

Anyway, splitting hairs a little. I still don't really like Spen's use of it for dead kids riding bikes.

It's pointless splitting hairs about something we both clearly know not a great deal more than a fig about. The important thing i've learned about Spen is to keep him typing...

Holmes going on and on making the same personal abusive points reminds me of some people on here
Making the point once is not enough, got to keep banging the same drum until they make themselves look fools in everyone's eyes but their own

In his own words i might add...

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

I’m not bothering with hypotheticals, I’m only interested in the real examples referenced in this thread.

Spen “specifically and deliberately used the word criminals in this context”. This context being three children being killed on electric bikes of some sort, after being followed by police.

But with his over-inflated sense of being the legal oracle on CC, he does his usual performance of making some pronouncement that he expects to be accepted as judicially authoritative and not to be challenged.

As soon as anyone does challenge it, he will deflect (“you obviously don’t understand” etc.) and then, if pressed further, run away.

If he wants to ‘specifically and deliberately’ label kids, whom the police didn’t even apprehend let alone charge, as criminals, and do so under the guise of a legal professional, then I want to hear his professional justification for it.

multitool

I'm not disagreeing with you on the stigmatising. Just on the wider use of the word.

pubrunner

Spen “specifically and deliberately used the word criminals in this context”. This context being three children being killed on electric bikes of some sort, after being followed by police.

This is possibly pedantic, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say they 'died', rather than they were 'killed' ? Otherwise, couldn't the death of the pillion passenger be construed as manslaughter - by the young man at the controls ?

Reactions: C R

pubrunner

If he wants to ‘specifically and deliberately’ label kids, whom the police didn’t even apprehend let alone charge, as criminals, and do so under the guise of a legal professional, then I want to hear his professional justification for it.

It's worth commenting, that whether or not, these young men should have been regarded as criminals, in England and Wales, children as young as 10 can be convicted of a crime – the lowest minimum age in Europe.

No other country in Europe criminalises such young children, with the age of criminal responsibility set at 14 in Germany, 15 in Sweden, 16 in Portugal and 18 in Luxembourg.

D

Deleted member 28

I’m not bothering with hypotheticals, I’m only interested in the real examples referenced in this thread.

But with his over-inflated sense of being the legal oracle on CC, he does his usual performance of making some pronouncement that he expects to be accepted as judicially authoritative and not to be challenged.

As soon as anyone does challenge it, he will deflect (“you obviously don’t understand” etc.) and then, if pressed further, run away.

Why do you care anyway?

What's your definition of a 'criminal ' then, only someone that's been convicted?

matticus

Guru
Google:
What is the simple definition of criminal?
a person who commits crime
What is a basic definition of criminal? A criminal is a person who commits crime. Criminal is also used to describe something involved in committing crime or related to crime. Criminal has a few other senses as an adjective. A criminal is a person who breaks the law and engages in illegal activity.

D

Deleted member 28

Google:
What is the simple definition of criminal?
a person who commits crime
What is a basic definition of criminal? A criminal is a person who commits crime. Criminal is also used to describe something involved in committing crime or related to crime. Criminal has a few other senses as an adjective. A criminal is a person who breaks the law and engages in illegal activity.
Looks like using the term criminal is quite justified to me.

Top Bottom