F*ck the Tories: a Thread Dedicated to Suella Braverman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
However, whereas there used to be many labour safe seats in Scotland there are now next to none. There have never been many Conservative safe seats in Scotland.

In the 2017 election the Conservatives were 12 short of a majority, and the labour party 48 short of a majority. Before the rise of the SNP that would have been closer to 26 short of a majority. With better campaigning (i.e. some actual opposition campaigning from Corbyn) and the willingness to form a liberal alliance Labour could have formed a government.

Corbyn then failed spectacularly again in 2019, losing even more seats, 14 of which were to the SNP.

I suppose Labour presently only having one Scottish seat is very literally 'next to none'.

The grotesque irony of the 2017 election was that Corbyn had made noises suggesting he would be open to a deal with the SNP, and Nicola Sturgeon was proposing a 'rainbow coalition of the Left', to lock the Tories out of power. All of that notwithstanding, the then-Scottish branch-office leader Kezia Dugdale exhorted Labour voters in SNP/Tory marginals to vote Tory to keep the SNP out. Which contributed to the SNP losing 21 of their 56 seats. What might have been, right? The seats gained back by the SNP in 2019 were largely Tory.

It's also worth remembering that during Labour's historical failure to win any elections with Scottish seats during the period of their dominance, up until the 1997 boundary changes, there were 71 & then 72 Scottish seats with which to make no difference.

Apropos of nothing, given the unrepresentative electoral system & forthcoming voter suppression measures, impending boundary changes will remove another 10 seats from Wales (predominantly) and Scotland, and in order to maintain a total of 650, add the same number to England. Using the 2019 election as a guide, this, and boundary alterations within England, could theoretically gift the Tories 14 more Westminster seats.

So is he's 'out of step with the English public' then?

Sunak's failure (so far) to nudge the needle in the polls suggests yes, but it depends how much appetite there is within the Brexit Base for cheering the deportation of refugees & legal-by-the-back-door slavery while they can't pay their bills or afford food & warmth. All of this within the context of a system designed to make it very, very easy for Tories to win & very, very difficult for anyone else, of course.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
20230309_205850.jpg

CWS, obvs!

matticus

Guru
Can anyone point to a neutral* summary of the French view of these things? I mean the general pattern in the last decade, not Bre*it and Braverman issues. Sometimes I think they love their refugees ( look at the football team! ;-) ), and then I read of overzealous behaviour by police clearing camps at Calais ...

*Yes I know, pigs will fly, but anyway ...

Julia9054

Regular
Can anyone point to a neutral* summary of the French view of these things? I mean the general pattern in the last decade, not Bre*it and Braverman issues. Sometimes I think they love their refugees ( look at the football team! ;-) ), and then I read of overzealous behaviour by police clearing camps at Calais ...

*Yes I know, pigs will fly, but anyway ...

A reminder that people in Calais camps are not usually refugees as they have not claimed and been granted asylum.
There's a view (deliberately or not - I'm not sure) amongst the "they all come here because we're too soft" brigade that we put our asylum seekers in hotels whereas the French leave theirs to rot in tents.

Last edited:

ebikeerwidnes

Just replied to another thread which has deviated onto the Gary Linekar 'situation''

as follows

Think they might have 'misjudged' the reaction to 'cancelling' Gary Linekar

seems like Alan Shearer and Ian Wright (?) have said they won't appear without him
quickly followed by pretty much every other football presenter and pundit

and most of the commentators

and now the player union have said player won't do interviews with the BBC

Alistair Cambell said it pretty well
If they had said it needed to be talked about just after he said it then they might have been taken seriously
but they waited until the right wing Tory politicians got all wound up

THEN said Gary should be backed down
which makes it rather clear that they submitted to political opinions from
$whoever

But at the end of the day
it performs its intended purpose and defects attention from the Illegal Immigration Policy
which is the best named policy ever to go through Parliament

So - Suella probably thinks this is all good

attention on Football not on her policies

I think she may have a problem with that

D

Deleted member 28

I hope you lot realise if Labour (because lets face it no one else will) get in power next time and don't transform this country you're going to look even bigger c*nts than you do now.

Top Bottom