General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Reports coming in Reform take 5th MP

Dammit. One more seat is trivial ....
BUT it's an excuse for media to give them 100 times the coverage the Greens will get .
(At 4-each there was no excuse.)

Damn you Essex!

multitool

Farage is a media creation.

And the thing about Farage is that it is all about Farage, rather than purely the ideas, because when everything and everyone else has dropped by the wayside, including the now discredited ideas, Farage is still here, able to reinvent himself.

He is phenomenally good at it.

Last edited:
Our system is adversarial. It's baked in.

And that’s the problem.

It’s not fit for purpose now as people are fed up with the confrontation.

Ian Dunt in his excellent book ‘How Westminster Works and Why It Doesn’t’ explains the history of this (the way the HOC is set up is one example he mentions) and why that’s now causing serious problems.

Last edited:

multitool

And that’s the problem.

It’s not fit for purpose now as people are fed up with the confrontation.

Ian Dunt in his excellent book ‘How Westminster Works and Why It Doesn’t’ explains the history of this (the way the HOC is set up is one example he mentions) and why that’s now causing serious problems now.

PMQs is a waste of time. I'm not sure that any Commons debates aren't also. The committees are pretty decent though.

I think you are, in essence, right.

multitool

I know it's Pickles and he looks like a Vogon, but he's probably right:

View: https://x.com/EricPickles/status/1809295591152971954

Ian H

Legendary Member
Yes, look at what can go wrong with PR then build measures in place to ensure it doesn’t happen.

The fact remains that 59% of people did not vote for Labour, with 40% not voting at all, and that’s not healthy.

I suspect there were a large number of tactical and protest votes - someone was quoted as saying they voted Reform but wouldn't have done so if they thought they'd win. Many of the LibDem votes were simply to remove the Tories, or more simply, for a Labour win. In short, I think it's wrong to assume we know voters' intentions.

PMQs is a waste of time. I'm not sure that any Commons debates aren't also. The committees are pretty decent though.

I think you are, in essence, right.

Ian Dunt, in the book I mentioned, calls the HOC the most undemocratic democratic chamber in the world. He adds that it’s not designed for debate.

I can’t remember the last time I watched PMQs. May’ve been in Blair’s time.

spen666

When Cameron became PM of a majority govt in 2015 on 36.9% of the vote I don't remember quite so much concern about vote shares.

There wad a lot of concern raised then as Theresa's after every election.

In fact so much concern was raised that in 2011 a referendum was held & the majority of those who voted wanted to retain the current system.

That is called democracy.

To refuse to accept the wishes of the majority who voted is undemocratic

Sadly, we have lots of people in society now who seem unable to grasp that democracy is about going with the wishes of the majority who vote, rather than getting your own way despite the majority disagreeing with you

All uphill

There wad a lot of concern raised then as Theresa's after every election.

In fact so much concern was raised that in 2011 a referendum was held & the majority of those who voted wanted to retain the current system.

That is called democracy.

To refuse to accept the wishes of the majority who voted is undemocratic

Sadly, we have lots of people in society now who seem unable to grasp that democracy is about going with the wishes of the majority who vote, rather than getting your own way despite the majority disagreeing with you

A referendum on PR in 2011?

Top Bottom