General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Possibly a dumb question but if they 'evaded' it, how would we know, or just just a reasonable guess?

The figures are from the HMRC.

PK99

Regular
Two-thirds of the seats with one-third of the votes.

A vote Against the Conservatives not a vote For Labour.

Bad form replying to my ow post but...

>>John McDonnell has admitted that people 'voted to get rid of the Tories' rather than for the Labour party amid growing calls for proportional representation<<

A refreshingly honest assessment.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I live in a safe Labour seat so according to the ABC* principle I vote Green. 21.9% of the electorate here did the same and the Greens came second. Nationwide, it's the highest Green vote ever.

*Anyone But Conservative.

It's good news and will hopefully encourage people to vote for them in five years time, but I'm a bit concerned that they don't seem to understand statistics and superlatives.

When Cameron became PM of a majority govt in 2015 on 36.9% of the vote I don't remember quite so much concern about vote shares.

I agree. There should've been a kick up then as well but we cannot be a serious democracy when a party can win 65% of the seats with around 41% of the vote. There's are 2 reasons why we're the only democracy that uses FPTP. The reasons being that it's undemocratic and unrepresentative. Belarus uses the FPTP as well but they're not exactly the bastion of democracy.

Regardless of who you vote for, if you're serious about democracy, the FPTP must go.

All the FPTP does is wind up Reform voters who already have a chip on their shoulders about not being listened to, despite getting almost everything they want over the past 8 or so years.

The FPTP system is probably one reason why voter turnout was one of the lowest recorded. About 40% of people didn't vote. That's a worry regardless of your political belief.

Last edited:
I am not so sure about “reasonable” 😊

I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave above.

multitool

.Belarus uses the FPTP as well but they're not exactly the bastion of democracy.

Loads of countries use FPTP to elect their legislature and/or Heads of State, the US, Canada and India being just three of them.

FPTP is used because it confers major advantages, but as with any system there are disadvantages. If you want to see the disadvantages of PR look to Italy.

Loads of countries use FPTP to elect their legislature and/or Heads of State, the US, Canada and India being just three of them.

FPTP is used because it confers major advantages, but as with any system there are disadvantages. If you want to see the disadvantages of PR look to Italy.

Yes, look at what can go wrong with PR then build measures in place to ensure it doesn’t happen.

The fact remains that 59% of people did not vote for Labour, with 40% not voting at all, and that’s not healthy.

multitool

Yes, look at what can go wrong with PR then build measures in place to ensure it doesn’t happen.

The fact remains that 59% of people did not vote for Labour, with 40% not voting at all, and that’s not healthy.

Those measures you want to build in to avoid pitfalls of PR (eg incessant weak governments, frequently changing or coalition government's that are too fractured to govern) what would they be? A candidate or party is selected by achievement of a simple majority for example?

Those measures you want to build in to avoid pitfalls of PR (eg incessant weak governments, frequently changing or coalition government's that are too fractured to govern) what would they be? A candidate or party is selected by achievement of a simple majority for example?

Exaggeration much?

I think we can ensure that won’t happen if we put our minds to it.

The democratic system in the UK is on trouble. It needs to be fixed.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom