General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

In reality I think the best we're going to see is quite a lot of PFI. Wes is well in bed with 'partners' to take an ever bigger stake in the NHS.
Trouble is the 'partners' want their slice. And as they're all to often foreign owned, that slice goes overseas and not back into the UK economy.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I think there's some truth in that unfortunately. Higher population, aging population, new treatments coming through that are great but usually expensive, rising drugs costs. My GP friend says you can't just quickly train more UK doctors because there isn't the capacity in med schools or in training placements in hospitals, so there'll be no short term fixes. We'll have to wait for some concrete plans from Labour.

Emphasis over prevention rather than cure would be a good investment....but knuckle-draggers would scream personal freedom and nanny state.....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is it actually possible to deliver on the NHS? - no matter what any politician does, there will always be those wanting more from the NHS

I'm not sure it is possible to "deliver" on the NHS to satisfy the public. It is a task that will never be completed, no matter who the politician in power is

Any half sensible politician would distance the government from the NHS, instead of sticking their finger in periodically. Give a budget, and, let the (well paid and under performing) senior management take the flak, when they fail to deliver (note, when, not if, IMHO, the NHS will never "work").

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Reports coming in Reform take 5th MP

Yes, 98 more votes after a recount (apparently there were some counting irregularities).

Reform win – gain from notional C
James McMurdock (Reform) 12,178 (30.79%)
Jack Ferguson (Lab) 12,080 (30.54%)
+Stephen Metcalfe (C) 10,159 (25.69%)
Neil Speight (Ind) 1,928 (4.87%)
Elizabeth Grant (Green) 1,718 (4.34%)
Dave Thomas (LD) 1,071 (2.71%)
Steven Burnett (Ind) 275 (0.70%)
Simon Breedon (Soc Dem) 140 (0.35%)
Reform maj 98 (0.25%)
20.70% boundary change
Electorate 74,957; Turnout 39,549 (52.76%)
2019 notional: C maj 18,731 (41.88%) – Turnout 44,729 (61.00%)
C 29,271 (65.44%); Lab 10,540 (23.56%); Others 3,014 (6.74%); LD
1,836 (4.10%); Green 68 (0.15%)

Ian H

Legendary Member
I think there's some truth in that unfortunately. Higher population, aging population, new treatments coming through that are great but usually expensive, rising drugs costs. My GP friend says you can't just quickly train more UK doctors because there isn't the capacity in med schools or in training placements in hospitals, so there'll be no short term fixes. We'll have to wait for some concrete plans from Labour.

Currently there are GPs who can't find work because surgeries can't afford to pay them.

Tanis8472

Regular
These arrived tue and wed.
What a load of tosh

20240705_201101.jpg

20240705_201040.jpg

Ian H

Legendary Member
An extract from a commentary by William Davies

Truss is an easy person to mock and she (like May and Sunak) lacked any electoral mandate to speak of.
But we did at least learn some profound
lessons from her brief spell in Downing
Street about the nature of political economy, democracy and public opinion in the UK. Thanks to Truss we know that financial markets still set the limits of the possible (which doesn't mean, in any given instance, that we can predict how they will respond, or what those limits will be). Thanks to Truss we know that the Bank of England (which ultimately caused her to resign, by refusing to carry on buying government bonds) isn't merely independent, but possesses a form of sovereignty that never gets mentioned in 'British Politics' textbooks.
And thanks to Truss we know that there
is still one constituency that every mainstream politician, newspaper and commentator will defend to the hilt: homeowners. In short, it is thanks to Truss that the British establishment was finally forced to decide between instability and torpor, and opted unambiguously for the latter. Enter Rishi Sunak...

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Tbh it's somehow a bit of a relief now the SNP have been so comprehensively & inevitably bummed in the gob. It'll be nice to stop caring & think about something else for a change, as Scotland joins the rest of the UK circling the Brexit, privatisation & austerity sewer drain.

The most interesting statistic I've seen is that Labour's undeniably devastating victory in Scotland was delivered by the votes of 21% of the Scottish electorate.

Anyway - wonder what everyone's going to talk about now?

Top Bottom