General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159

There will be an overlap of reasons, but for only 5% as their primary reason, that is astounding. I said elsewhere, folk were sick to death of the tories.

Labour's honeymoon period could be very short lived indeed

Bazzer

No. Relatively few (5%) gave an affirmative answer for backing Labour.
The respondents were given an open question which an AI programmed has interpreted.
If you have ever been involved in a sift of applicants for interviews, particularly for large organizations, you would realise that those who get through the first stage are those who actually answer the question/s correctly, and/or include certain words or phrases, often to a predetermined set of criteria. Not those who think that however brilliant or suited to the job they are, have failed to properly answer the question.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What you haven't understood is that asking people to narrow their reasons to one is going to give an unrealistic representation of people's motivations.

For example, the primary motivation might be to get the Tories out because they want the implementation of Labour policies.

Not only that but to then parse it through an AI generator is absolute bullsh!t.

multitool

GR4imd6XsAAqAEx.jpeg

Ian H

Legendary Member
The high turnout in France was probably as we suspected. Fear of the ultra fight got the voters to actually turn up.

fight.jpg

icowden

Legendary Member
The boys in blue were expensively trained to rule over the revolting natives, don't you know, Carruthers.
There is a little bit of truth in that. Privat education does tend to teach and reinforce the belief that there is nothing you cannot achieve, regardless of how talented or talentless you are, and to never consider the possibility of failure.

spen666

There is a little bit of truth in that. Privat education does tend to teach and reinforce the belief that there is nothing you cannot achieve, regardless of how talented or talentless you are, and to never consider the possibility of failure.

Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that effectively what Robert the Bruce learned and helped him , even though his did not learn it as a result of private education.

icowden

Legendary Member
Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that effectively what Robert the Bruce learned and helped him , even though his did not learn it as a result of private education.
Of course, although it can lead to underachievers overachieving (see David Cameron and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson for details).
The mystery to me is is why no government looks at the Private schools and thinks - "If we made State schools more like that...". Rather than pratting around with VAT, why not reduce class sizes to 20, cap Secondary School capacity and build more schools. Increase teaching pay and pensions and provide more placements for those children who cannot be taught in mainstream school.

Ah but the cost! Well if we can afford 37bn on a Test and Trace system that doesn't work, maybe we could find some change down the back of the sofa for Education.

Bad Company

Labour won, I have to accept it but I don’t have to like it.

Around 20% of the electorate voted Labour. Amazing how the FPTP system works. To quote Boris Johnson it’s like the majority is a mile wide and an inch deep.

It doesn't help that only 60% of the electorate bothered to vote. Labour won around one third of the votes cast, and yet won nearly two thirds the seats. I think Farage is extremely clever, he wants to be the main right wing party, so by fielding candidates in all constituencies he's wrecked the Tories. Reform UK is the primary reason for Labours landslide imo.

I’m a natural, long term conservative voter and former party member. The last few years have been appalling though. David Cameron didn’t get the referendum result he wanted so abandoned his post, Theresa May was out of her depth, Liz Truss had some good ideas but tried to do too much too soon, Boris was an immoral disaster and Rishi just couldn’t cope.

If anyone wants me I’ll be in a darkened room sucking my thumb.

D

Deleted member 159

The mystery to me is is why no government looks at the Private schools and thinks - "If we made State schools more like that...".

Because it's all changed in the attitude to education, achievement in life.

When I was at school, teachers told you the truth to you, about your learning abilities, and told your parents.

These days little Johnny can't be criticized, it may dent his delicate ego. There are no winners or losers, competition in class exams is not encouraged, as well as sporting activities.

There are many avenues of education, whether academic or practical. Everyone is lead to believe university is the be all . Vast swathes of kids just end up with huge debt and no further forward in life after it.

In general, private schools are last bastion of teaching self worth and achievement

We are living in a period of easy times leading to weak men

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@quotelectures/video/7231329444353330475

Top Bottom