General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Gone has meritocracy, everyone now has to have equal opportunity, regardless of their ability/education.

This is where DIE is completely at odds with promoting the best person for the job.

I don't want average Jo in a position just because they're from a minority group or bolster female numbers in the department.

This country needs the very best in the appropriate position to achieve their best work.

We need people with drive, determination and/or highly intelligent pushing our society forwards.

A poor, black, lesbian woman goes for the same job as a middle-class, white, straight man.

The first candidate is far more qualified and rightly gets the job.

You'd be grumbling that it was only because of a "DIE/woke/snowflake" attitude which got her the position.

Even though it was obviously the correct choice.

I suspect you'll deny this, but nobody will believe you.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Dammit. One more seat is trivial ....
BUT it's an excuse for media to give them 100 times the coverage the Greens will get .
(At 4-each there was no excuse.)

Damn you Essex!

Devolution for East Anglia seems the obvious solution....

D

Deleted member 159

This is another are where private schools differ. They constantly celebrate achievement whether sporting, academic or artistic. They also spend more time on arts and sport. When my daughter joined her school in year 6, she struggled with being constantly last in swimming. The reason was not that she is a bad swimmer, but purely that the kids who had been in prep from year 1 had swimming lessons once a week every year as well as a games lesson. Thus the fitness level of those children was far higher than those joining from a state school.

The same happens when they have organised cross country and such like which welcomes kids from all the local state schools. The privately taught kids tend to finish far ahead of the state school kids. Obviously for swimming it can be the difference between having a pool on site and having to travel 30 minutes to one, but for cross country there is no reason why there should be a difference. All the local schools around here have large playing fields. They just aren't given the opportunity or often, the positive reinforcement. Both of my girls actively enjoyed sport in Senior but not in state prep. They were no longer competing with boys and all sport was taught in a positive way using ability groups (quite often girls with a high ability in a sport will have the job of coaching a team in the low ability group as well as competing in their own matches).

Spot on

My youngest, went to a prep school, who had excellent academic reputation. We met the head mistress/owner of the school, an old lady maybe 75 in age. I asked a winning and rewards. She said that sports day kids came first second or third. Were awarded medals. Same for class work and exams/tests with placing on the class.

JFK had it right

There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's exercise
He created the Presidential fitness test. Which very very few kids of today would ever be able to do. Not that they couldn't, its just that they wouldn't try.

This exercise was promoted in the early 60s with ranking for more athletic performance

View: https://youtu.be/NGa6BPj3Mcw?si=mWcddBnQKwtISo1f

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Maybe not quite the right thread, but it's wild watching UK liberals react to the Left-led alliance beating the far right in France, and somehow seeing it as a vindication of centrist politics. What the actual fuck is she on here???

Screenshot_20240708-123655-739.png

Oh, and Attal has resigned since she tweeted. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 159

A poor, black, lesbian woman goes for the same job as a middle-class, white, straight man.

The first candidate is far more qualified and rightly gets the job.

You'd be grumbling that it was only because of a "DIE/woke/snowflake" attitude which got her the position.

Even though it was obviously the correct choice.

I suspect you'll deny this, but nobody will believe you.

No , I want the best person for the job. You know full well that is not the case these days DIE is everywhere and is destroying excellence in every aspect of life

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Of course, although it can lead to underachievers overachieving (see David Cameron and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson for details).
The mystery to me is is why no government looks at the Private schools and thinks - "If we made State schools more like that...". Rather than pratting around with VAT, why not reduce class sizes to 20, cap Secondary School capacity and build more schools. Increase teaching pay and pensions and provide more placements for those children who cannot be taught in mainstream school.

Ah but the cost! Well if we can afford 37bn on a Test and Trace system that doesn't work, maybe we could find some change down the back of the sofa for Education.

Sounds good, but:
1. Do we know for sure that the Private System can be scaled up and still work?
2. Do we really want a generation of Boris’s and Rees-Moggs?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No , I want the best person for the job. You know full well that is not the case these days DIE is everywhere and is destroying excellence in every aspect of life

No, it isn't.

You're just being told it is because of your hideously warped media diet.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
(As an aside, it's funny that this tangent about education stems from a mis-attributed quote on TikTok.)

D

Deleted member 159

Sounds good, but:
1. Do we know for sure that the Private System can be scaled up and still work?
2. Do we really want a generation of Boris’s and Rees-Moggs?

We want a generation of kids who want to achieve the very best in whatever path they choose.

We need the very best academics going onto university, the practical being engineers, builders, plumbers electricians apprenticeships need to be re established.

Those with a desire for caring into the health service .

Teach our children everything, not import those skill shortages for a quick fix

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We want a generation of kids who want to achieve the very best in whatever path they choose.

We need the very best academics going onto university, the practical being engineers, builders, plumbers electricians apprenticeships need to be re established.

Those with a desire for caring into the health service .

Teach our children everything, not import those skill shortages for a quick fix

And, assuming I agree with you, we achieve that how? For example, is it simply a case of throwing money at the problem, or, is it slightly more complex than that?

multitool

Gone has meritocracy, everyone now has to have equal opportunity, regardless of their ability/education.

This is where DIE is completely at odds with promoting the best person for the job.

I don't want average Jo in a position just because they're from a minority group or bolster female numbers in the department.

This country needs the very best in the appropriate position to achieve their best work.

We need people with drive, determination and/or highly intelligent pushing our society forwards.

It's hard to know where to start with somebody who is not only ignorant, but wears their ignorance as a badge of pride.

If you have a majority of top positions occupied by people from the 7% who attended private school, you should be asking yourself whether recruiting from such a small pool is favorable to the nation's well-being, and using the provenance of the last 14 years of cabinet members as a case study.

There are mechanisms at play which exclude "the best" people, because they belong to unfavoured groups such as 'women'. If you want the best people, you have to do something to counteract these barriers.

Your problem is that you feed your mind on a diet of simplistic shít because you are too lazy and/thick to spend the time understanding complexities.

D

Deleted member 159

The best people achieve through self determination.

If you don't ask or try you will never get what you desire.

It's called life, it's tough there are winners and losers. Strive to be a winner, what ever you do.

We told our kids, be the very best you can be at whatever job you decide. If they make it to the top or not it won't be not of trying.

spen666

No, of course not, but it's moronic to inculcate this, which is what you said was a good thing and what icowden admitted was a mindset encouraged by public schools, and the consequences of which are all too clear in British Politics, with recent Tory governments being especially egregious examples:

to teach and reinforce the belief that there is nothing you cannot achieve, regardless of how talented or talentless you are, and to never consider the possibility of failure.

You post a ridiculous word salad that seems to contradict itself.
If people did not believe in themselves and instead feared failure, we would still be living in caves and never making progress.

Some people learn to lead and be prepared to take risks, other are posting on the internet as theclaud and spending their whole time decrying others who achieve

Because it's all changed in the attitude to education, achievement in life.

When I was at school, teachers told you the truth to you, about your learning abilities, and told your parents.

These days little Johnny can't be criticized, it may dent his delicate ego. There are no winners or losers, competition in class exams is not encouraged, as well as sporting activities.

There are many avenues of education, whether academic or practical. Everyone is lead to believe university is the be all . Vast swathes of kids just end up with huge debt and no further forward in life after it.

In general, private schools are last bastion of teaching self worth and achievement

We are living in a period of easy times leading to weak men

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@quotelectures/video/7231329444353330475

I'm a teacher and the bolded sentences are complete bollox!

The teachers I had at school now would not get anywhere near children let alone teaching. They were vile bullies who thought nothing of beating kids up and destroying their confidence. They weren't honest, they were vile c*nts.

The second part is just crap. You have to remember, in my case as I teach very young kids, that they're just that, kids. 6, 7, 8 year old kids each with different abilities and learning styles. Some pick things up quickly, some take a bit longer. Some are late bloomers (such as myself) , some learn visually and some learn by way of breaking things down into parts and explaining it bit by bit. Some are great at science, some are better at languages, some are better at music. There is no one size fits all for a class of 30 kids as they're all different. We don't want kids to be made to feel like losers, a failure before they've hit puberty as it causes lifelong issues. There's a ton of evidence, peer reviewed, to support that.

Kids nowadays do not have it easy especially with the after effects of Covid and social media, to name just two examples.

The best people achieve through self determination.

If you don't ask or try you will never get what you desire.

It's called life, it's tough there are winners and losers. Strive to be a winner, what ever you do.

We told our kids, be the very best you can be at whatever job you decide. If they make it to the top or not it won't be not of trying.

All of the above is total crap.

I assume you've never been in a classroom?

Top Bottom