General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This is news to me. Because the school my daughter currently goes to keeps me and her mother well informed about where she excels and what she needs to improve on, both academically and in sport.

Same goes for my son, who is out of school now and into the workplace with no interest in uni whatsoever.

Could it be, just maybe, that your own prejudice is shaping the way you see the world, which is demonstrably just as hard a place for a lot of people as it ever has been?

D

Deleted member 159

This is news to me. Because the school my daughter currently goes to keeps me and her mother well informed about where she excels and what she needs to improve on, both academically and in sport.

Same goes for my son, who is out of school now and into the workplace with no interest in uni whatsoever.

Could it be, just maybe, that your own prejudice is shaping the way you see the world, which is demonstrably just as hard a place for a lot of people as it ever has been?

There are good state schools, they repeatedly make the headlines. It is in general a poor education system. I get the information from two school teachers in our extended family. One teaches junior, the other secondary age group. Also raising three children into adulthood. I have the benefit of privately educating my kids and seeing the flip side of state schooling.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
There are good state schools, they repeatedly make the headlines. It is in general a poor education system. I get the information from two school teachers in our extended family. One teaches junior, the other secondary age group.

Oooh, are we playing Teaching Family Top Trumps now?

I don't really care where you get your information from.

My actual query was about "the world, which is demonstrably just as hard a place for a lot of people as it ever has been?"

Reactions: C R

spen666

Labour won, I have to accept it but I don’t have to like it.

Around 20% of the electorate voted Labour. Amazing how the FPTP system works. To quote Boris Johnson it’s like the majority is a mile wide and an inch deep.

It doesn't help that only 60% of the electorate bothered to vote. Labour won around one third of the votes cast, and yet won nearly two thirds the seats. I think Farage is extremely clever, he wants to be the main right wing party, so by fielding candidates in all constituencies he's wrecked the Tories. Reform UK is the primary reason for Labours landslide imo.

I’m a natural, long term conservative voter and former party member. The last few years have been appalling though. David Cameron didn’t get the referendum result he wanted so abandoned his post, Theresa May was out of her depth, Liz Truss had some good ideas but tried to do too much too soon, Boris was an immoral disaster and Rishi just couldn’t cope.

If anyone wants me I’ll be in a darkened room sucking my thumb.

Your post would have more credibility if you had expressed such views re FPTP when the Tories won elections with a minority of the vote
its strange how Labour supporters complain re this when Tories win and vice versa . Neither complain when it results in wins for their party

spen666

No. It's moronic.

Its moronic to encourage people to believe in themselves and believe they can achieve?

I'm glad you will never be in a position of leadership in this country

D

Deleted member 159

Gone has meritocracy, everyone now has to have equal opportunity, regardless of their ability/education.

This is where DIE is completely at odds with promoting the best person for the job.

I don't want average Jo in a position just because they're from a minority group or bolster female numbers in the department.

This country needs the very best in the appropriate position to achieve their best work.

We need people with drive, determination and/or highly intelligent pushing our society forwards.

• Laugh

icowden

Legendary Member
There are many avenues of education, whether academic or practical. Everyone is lead to believe university is the be all . Vast swathes of kids just end up with huge debt and no further forward in life after it.
Interestingly my daughter's school is really emphasising that University may not be the right route for everyone and that girls should consider all options including degree apprenticeships etc. I've been really impressed with the amount of work they do not just to get the kids through A-Levels but also to help them find where they want to go next.

Of course, it's not too difficult to put in that level of effort when you only have about 25 girls per school year in 6th form.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Gone has meritocracy, everyone now has to have equal opportunity, regardless of their ability/education.

This is where DIE is completely at odds with promoting the best person for the job.

I don't want average Jo in a position just because they're from a minority group or bolster female numbers in the department.

This country needs the very best in the appropriate position to achieve their best work.

We need people with drive, determination and/or highly intelligent pushing our society forwards.

LOL.

icowden

Legendary Member
These days little Johnny can't be criticized, it may dent his delicate ego. There are no winners or losers, competition in class exams is not encouraged, as well as sporting activities.
This is another are where private schools differ. They constantly celebrate achievement whether sporting, academic or artistic. They also spend more time on arts and sport. When my daughter joined her school in year 6, she struggled with being constantly last in swimming. The reason was not that she is a bad swimmer, but purely that the kids who had been in prep from year 1 had swimming lessons once a week every year as well as a games lesson. Thus the fitness level of those children was far higher than those joining from a state school.

The same happens when they have organised cross country and such like which welcomes kids from all the local state schools. The privately taught kids tend to finish far ahead of the state school kids. Obviously for swimming it can be the difference between having a pool on site and having to travel 30 minutes to one, but for cross country there is no reason why there should be a difference. All the local schools around here have large playing fields. They just aren't given the opportunity or often, the positive reinforcement. Both of my girls actively enjoyed sport in Senior but not in state prep. They were no longer competing with boys and all sport was taught in a positive way using ability groups (quite often girls with a high ability in a sport will have the job of coaching a team in the low ability group as well as competing in their own matches).

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Its moronic to encourage people to believe in themselves and believe they can achieve?

No, of course not, but it's moronic to inculcate this, which is what you said was a good thing and what icowden admitted was a mindset encouraged by public schools, and the consequences of which are all too clear in British Politics, with recent Tory governments being especially egregious examples:

to teach and reinforce the belief that there is nothing you cannot achieve, regardless of how talented or talentless you are, and to never consider the possibility of failure

Top Bottom