General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Just a warning to everyone

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/reform-uk-members-warned-over-major-scam

so if you were thinking of getting a VIP membership of Reform UK
then do not use this link - I am sure Uncle Nigel will be happy to make use of your £200 in other ways!

and if you have already taken it out please tell us what happens

phew - that was £200 saved anyway!!!

:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No honour among thieves.

icowden

Legendary Member
How's this allowed then? Farage on GB News 3 times a week. You can't have a tv politics show whilst being a sitting MP. If he was doing an MP's job properly he wouldn't have time.
You can actually have a TV Politics show whilst being a sitting MP but it's a difficult line to tread as you can't be a newsreader - thus if you read out anything intended as news you break OFCOM rules.

Oh, and surely you didn't expect Farage to be doing an MPs job properly did you?

spen666

You can actually have a TV Politics show whilst being a sitting MP but it's a difficult line to tread as you can't be a newsreader - thus if you read out anything intended as news you break OFCOM rules.

Oh, and surely you didn't expect Farage to be doing an MPs job properly did you?

David Lammy for many years presented a current affairs phone in show on LBC Radio, at least up until the last election was called, and I am sure there were other MPs doing similar

AndyRM

Elder Goth
David Lammy for many years presented a current affairs phone in show on LBC Radio, at least up until the last election was called, and I am sure there were other MPs doing similar

Many years? About 18 months.

Of course you're sure there are, and for a helluva lot more. But by all means carry on with your faux-ignorant nonsense.

So far as I can see the rules for radio are less strict than those for TV. Times Radio has/has had amongst its regular presenters Baroness Hazarika, Lord Vasey, Ruth Davison and a couple of other Peers whose names escape me.

spen666

Many years? About 18 months.

Of course you're sure there are, and for a helluva lot more. But by all means carry on with your faux-ignorant nonsense.

Not surewhat your problem is

I merely gave an example of an MP who broadcast a show whilst an MP.
I have not made any judgement about it, merely stated what was correct.

Some people can't help themselves and seem determined to show their nasty insulting side.

It must be a sad monochrome world you imprison yourself in

presta

Looking seat by seat, Starmer didn't do significantly better than Corbyn by votes.

And that's exactly my point.

All Corbyn was interested in was preaching to the converted in Labour safe seats, and listening to them sing 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn'. You can't win an election garnering more votes in a constituency you already hold!

The reason Starmer won was that he systematically targeted marginal Tory seats, because they are the ones that can win an election for you. You need more seats, not more votes, so the only place to get them is from your opponents, and the easiest way to get them is by targeting marginal seats rather than safe ones.

Like it or not, that's the way FPTP works, how is this not obvious?

Labour got the seat because reform halved the tory vote.
Collapse of the Tory vote or not, campaign resources are more productive in marginal seats than they are in safe seats.

To repeat: a lot more votes are useless if they're in safe seats you already hold, but a handful of votes in Tory marginals are productive. Starmer didn't need more votes, he just needed them in the right constituencies.

Corbyn's like the majority of the internet: preach to the converted, and ignore anyone who disagrees. You can't expect to change anything like that.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not surewhat your problem is

I merely gave an example of an MP who broadcast a show whilst an MP.
I have not made any judgement about it, merely stated what was correct.

Some people can't help themselves and seem determined to show their nasty insulting side.

It must be a sad monochrome world you imprison yourself in

I don't have one.

It must be a sad monochrome world you imprison yourself in to waste time on this forum.

Here's my current view:

IMG20240714171120.jpg

icowden

Legendary Member
So far as I can see the rules for radio are less strict than those for TV. Times Radio has/has had amongst its regular presenters Baroness Hazarika, Lord Vasey, Ruth Davison and a couple of other Peers whose names escape me.

Peers don't count.

Top Bottom